Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Banker, 33, is cleared of assaulting BA cabin crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA

I wonder if BA will ban him from all their flights?

A west London banker has today been cleared of assaulting five BA cabin crew after taking a cocktail of alcohol and sleeping pills.

William Clegg, 33, claimed he had 'no conscious control' during the mid-air ruckus on a transatlantic flight between San Jose in the US and Heathrow.

He told jury members he had taken two Ambien sleeping pills, along with three glasses of wine and two travel-sized bottles of Baileys, prior to the incident in August 2019.

While under the influence of the drugs and alcohol, Clegg allegedly assaulted five BA cabin crew.

This included attempting to headbutt a female flight attendant, and pulling a male flight attendant onto the ground, a court previously heard.

The banker, who lives in London's pricey Notting Hill district, denied the allegations and has been on trial at Isleworth Crown Court.

Today he was found not guilty on all counts after the jury deliberated for just under an hour, following the four day trial.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-Ambien.html
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Like the other recent case discussed in this thread it is hard to understand how they are found not guilty.

Worst BA passenger ever?

However, also like the other case the jury took less than an hour so clearly they didn't struggle to reach their verdict. The verdict is surprising based on what was reported, but I wasn't there in the trial or in that jury.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:08 am
Suspended

The fact it was two Ambien (which is never a prescribed dose and is also quite dangerous) seems to make the verdict baffling.
bloomz and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
So the Ambien was his defence?
How is this different to a pissed up driver running in to someone or a coked up freak picking a fight?

Spike
trooper, MSPpete, FMDXR and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Same apparent combination which apparently made the seemingly normal guy sitting next to me on the UD of a flight from HKG get up, start to assault the crew and then collapse in the space between rows 61 & 62. I had to sit on him whilst the crew got the restraints. He turned into a zombie from having been completely normal 10 mins earlier.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
How is this different to a pissed up driver running in to someone or a coked up freak picking a fight?

Spike
I suspect it was perhaps a bit more complicated than that. I also don't know what the wording and requirements are for the offences he was charged with.

It certainly is the case the jury was in not at all persuaded he was guilty to the standard required - although the article doesn't state this it would have been a unanimous verdict since it was so quick being under an hour.
Funky Spike likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: GGL
Banker taking Ambien on BA vs builder drinking vodka on EasyJet
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by Funky Spike

Spike
Was thinking similar. An average Joe (or Jill) behaves like that in any UK town centre on a Saturday night and then serves up that excuse to the court on Monday after a weekend in the cells. There’s not a chance it would be taken into account as some kind of mitigating circumstances.

I was always under the impression being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs could not be used as a defence or mitigating circumstances for criminal behaviour in the UK.

But then I guess being able to afford the best lawyers is always going to make a difference.
Silver Fox and Ramos like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:48 pm

Yes, I, too, don't understand it. Perhaps we are not getting the whole story. But I have always held the belief that one is responsible for one's actions no matter what substances (legal or otherwise) one has consumed.

rb211.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Given that Ambien is a prescription drug over on this side of the Pond there's a page or so of paperwork including warnings of side effects both the drug by itself and when it's being used with other things (not just other drugs), that's also on the bottle (much more compact from and type). For example, I've got one of my prescriptions that I need to avoid grapefruit juice because it causes it to be too effective. He was lucky to have enough money to get a very good lawyer., a lot of places over here he would have been in trouble for using his GF's prescription.

Hopefully he gets banned by BA for a fairly long period of time.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Hard to fathom why he was found not guilty, but all I can see is the press report. I did jury service last year, which also resulted in acquittal - simply put the evidence was not strong enough for conviction, and this was after two days of deliberation. I am sure that if the press had reported on the trial that the acquital would've been met with anger as the nuances were left out.

I also sat on a second trial, which resulted in an hour's deliberation prior to acquital. The evidence was far too weak to persuade anyone of guilt, which I can only imagine is what's happened here.

I think if I were BA I'd be banning the passenger regardless here, though.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
The fact it was two Ambien (which is never a prescribed dose and is also quite dangerous) seems to make the verdict baffling.
I take one Ambien at home to help with wearing a CPAP mask, and the baffling things my wife has said I've sometimes done....is well, baffling.
bloomz, crazy8534 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
Now imagine it was a young working class man in a tracksuit...
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:08 pm

So, if the banker has been cleared of assault, who headbutted the crew and who threw the other crew to the floor?

or was this case handled by this guy?

Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
So, if the banker has been cleared of assault, who headbutted the crew and who threw the other crew to the floor?

or was this case handled by this guy?

more like...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.