Wiki Posts
Search

Wetherspoons or The Galleries T5?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:22 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
1. You will have access to at least the Gold / First lounge not GC.
2. If you are going to GC (out of choice) the North lounge is a mere few steps - so no long walk needed
3. If you don't want to use the free lounges - at least raise your sights from Weatherspoons to something like Gordons / Seafood / Wagga
I was kind of just getting at a more general point that I personally prefer Wetherspoons than sit in either of the galleries club lounges. Not specific to my upcoming trip which I have since heard may have CCR access anyway.

I think if i’m flying economy or CE/CW and have lounge access in the near future at T5 i’d still probably not bother with the lounge anymore and much rather get a proper meal and drink somewhere.
CT-UK and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zombie_chris
Wow TIL I have drunk (and been drunk) in a Wetherspoons - Is Wetherspoons The Crown Rivers? That seating area has always confused me but then I've been jetlagged, hungover and probably on my first beer whenever I've been there.
The Crown Rivers is the Wetherspoon franchise in question. It's below GC North and on the way to the usual domestic gates. It's a bit odd in terms of seating since it takes the middle section of the terminal passage and is somewhat obstructive in terms of staff moving dishes from the kitchen to the tables. The name comes from the fact that T5 led to the diversion of two rivers with royal connections, the Duke of Northumberland's River and Longford River. They now sit in two parallel channels, man made, on the Southern and Western Perimeter, with Northumberland being the nearer of the two. Both are visible from Gate 23, since it's only 150 metres away.
VSLover, scolbath, ENTP and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I think Spoons certainly has its space in the market. It actually serves some good beers at some very reasonable prices. And the food is cheap, if not exactly cordon bleu.

But as a friend put it to me recently: "I'd rather sing God Save the Queen at Hampden Park than set foot in one of his pubs. That guy is at the absolute top of the Brexit bawbag s%# list".
it would depend on whose playing at Hampden!

But HM has at least graced the hallowed grounds of Paradise, not a sight I had ever expected to see but I was there!!!

Originally Posted by marcro
I found the reason Tim Martin came up with the name JD Wetherspoon quite interesting.

He took the surname from a teacher at school who had told him he would never amount to anything. The initials, meanwhile, were taken from J.D. 'Boss' Hogg in The Dukes of Hazzard.

Apparently he has "failed his way" to build up his net worth to >£400,000,000!
Money is one measure of success. I prefer integrity, honesty and emotional intelligence.
Scots_Al, bafan and LBA_flyer like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DelTroon
My usual routine (as someone who loves a cooked breakfast) is to use Wetherspoons to eat and then head to the BA lounge. It has been known for the odd bacon roll or two to be consumed on top of the Wetherspoons breakfast!
I'm the other way around. North Lounge for a few drinks then downstairs to Spoons for when I get hungry. I used to like the restaurant next to the north lounge (it's name escapes me) and it would be good to see another beer-led bar take it over. Brewdog maybe?

If departing from a gate at the other end of the terminal I will pop into Pilot's for a final pre-flight beverage.

Last edited by Camflyer; Dec 17, 2021 at 5:20 am
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by marcro
I found the reason Tim Martin came up with the name JD Wetherspoon quite interesting.

He took the surname from a teacher at school who had told him he would never amount to anything. The initials, meanwhile, were taken from J.D. 'Boss' Hogg in The Dukes of Hazzard.

Apparently he has "failed his way" to build up his net worth to >£400,000,000!
Having worked with the brand I can see why, they way they treat staff is abhorrent. At the start of the pandemic before furlough was announced his solution to stat was go stack shelves in Tesco.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Smid
It is more than the CEO's political views, you cannot separate that from the chain, they printed a couple of million vote leave beer mats, and still had Brexit adverts in the toilets when I last visited one in 2018. The whole pub chain was a Brexit political entity in itself, separate from the two different leave campaigns, which was a political blindspot. This after many years benefiting from the cheap labour brought by freedom movement.

I know of no other pub chain which has been political either way in the UK.

That's why #neverspoons
I've never eaten in a Wetherspoon, but thanks for suggesting some solid reasons to support the CEO. I'll look for a branch when next at Heathrow.

As for the poster's opening question, the F lounge has comfortable seating and adequate food and drink options at an included price.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Having worked with the brand I can see why, they way they treat staff is abhorrent. At the start of the pandemic before furlough was announced his solution to stat was go stack shelves in Tesco.
Perhaps he got inspiration from the BA pilot that had been given praise for becoming a Tesco delivery driver during the coronavirus lockdown?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:15 pm

There was an interesting interview a couple of months ago with Tim Martin where he talks about himself, the industry and politics. The whole interview lasts just over 16 minutes and whilst the interviewer may be considered by many here highly controversial than that of Tim Martin himself, I would still look past it and give it a watch.

Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; CX Gold; *A Gold
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
There was an interesting interview a couple of months ago with Tim Martin where he talks about himself, the industry and politics. The whole interview lasts just over 16 minutes and whilst the interviewer may be considered by many here highly controversial than that of Tim Martin himself, I would still look past it and give it a watch.

Talking Pints with Nigel Farage and Tim Martin - YouTube
I find it fascinating and very telling that the forum moderators allow a full discussion of Wetherspoons and their CEO but close down any thread quickly mentioning mask wearing. Arguably masks have more connection with aviation these days than a pub chain.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manilaboy
I find it fascinating and very telling that the forum moderators allow a full discussion of Wetherspoons and their CEO but close down any thread quickly mentioning mask wearing. Arguably masks have more connection with aviation these days than a pub chain.
Because this is the first and only discussion about Weatherspoons, Mask discussions happen almost daily - often on threads that are unrelated, hence distracting from the real talking point, and the fact that wearing a mask is a legal/contractual obligation not really a point for discussion makes it even more easy to close down.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 4:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Crown Rivers is the Wetherspoon franchise in question. It's below GC North and on the way to the usual domestic gates. It's a bit odd in terms of seating since it takes the middle section of the terminal passage and is somewhat obstructive in terms of staff moving dishes from the kitchen to the tables. The name comes from the fact that T5 led to the diversion of two rivers with royal connections, the Duke of Northumberland's River and Longford River. They now sit in two parallel channels, man made, on the Southern and Western Perimeter, with Northumberland being the nearer of the two. Both are visible from Gate 23, since it's only 150 metres away.
a (poor) photo of the Duke of Northumberland river from the bus as you cross over the little bridge in the north west corner of the airport

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 25, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.