Wiki Posts
Search

Wetherspoons or The Galleries T5?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:52 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Wetherspoons or The Galleries T5?

So - I was thinking about an upcoming trip that I have from Terminal 5 in January. We were originally looking forward to trying the CCR for our first time flying in F to SIN, but now with a cancellation and moving onto QR, the CCR is no longer an option for us. It'll be back to the Galleries for us in January... or maybe not.

We are regular users of T5 and have actually found more recently that we've opted to not bother with the long walk to the Galleries and have instead decided to go for what (IMO) is better food and drink in the Wetherspoons. A decent pint and a proper meal, instead of warm cans of Heinekken and prison food

Now, i'd usually not be seen dead in a Wetherspoons, which says alot about what I think of the lounge. My question to everyone is - do you really prefer the Lounge, or do you just use it because it's free? Am I in a minority who snub lounge access in favour of the delights of a Wetherspoons?
dca100, SxMan, NicholasMAN and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
You can ask to be booked on QR - and take QR LHR-DOH in F and then DOH-SIN in J
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
There's no view decent view while eating school dinner there.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
If you like a pint, anywhere is better than Galleries (I thought they had some ale in bottles, but I don't drink beer in lounges, and I'm champers/wine only).

I don't regard airport Wetherspoons as real Wetherspoons, they are certainly not priced similarly in any way (the one at landside in T4 was much more expensive than anything else I tried in the airport when I went there about five years ago).
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:06 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
You can ask to be booked on QR - and take QR LHR-DOH in F and then DOH-SIN in J
Yeah thanks we've sorted all that but unfortunately F on QR doesn't grant you CCR access, which is why we're likely to spend our time pre-flight in Wetherspoons
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Always used the 'Spoons when travelling in larger groups to Spain etc. Was always mobbed though, pre COVID. Haven't used since
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
If I was looking for something more substantial to eat and a semi-decent pint or three, then I would go to the Spoons. As has been said above the LHR Spoons is a little better than your high street one - I've not had a sticky carpet experience yet.
GratefulSmile likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by JackDann
Yeah thanks we've sorted all that but unfortunately F on QR doesn't grant you CCR access, which is why we're likely to spend our time pre-flight in Wetherspoons
I believe it does. A certain travel blogger was flying QR F today from LHR to DOH and was in CCR based on instagram. I thought that was the agreement that QR had with BA while QR still operates from T5? I may be mistaken though.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Does Plane food still exist? ; that is definitely better than the lounge
tgsh2006 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:16 am

My usual routine (as someone who loves a cooked breakfast) is to use Wetherspoons to eat and then head to the BA lounge. It has been known for the odd bacon roll or two to be consumed on top of the Wetherspoons breakfast!
dca100 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:38 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine
I believe it does. A certain travel blogger was flying QR F today from LHR to DOH and was in CCR based on instagram. I thought that was the agreement that QR had with BA while QR still operates from T5? I may be mistaken though.
Who's this out of interest?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Although Wetherspoons is an absolute abomination of a company with a boss as contemptible as the best of them, I think of the T5 Spoons as one of my favourite 'pubs' in the world. It reminds me of when I first started travelling regularly, both alone and later with my partner in our (slightly) younger days. In economy with no lounge access, a cold pint in there before connecting to/from NCL always signalled the beginning or end of a new adventure.

Might pay the old place a visit one day.
simonsmith and scolbath like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Galleries Club North is a mere hop, skip and jump from Fast Track security if it's the long walk to the south lounges which is the major factor!
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Galleries Club North is a mere hop, skip and jump from Fast Track security if it's the long walk to the south lounges which is the major factor!
And separated from Wetherspoon (where does the extra s come in?) by an escalator.
YacozA likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Indeed QR F does get CCR at the moment, and even if not you would get galleries FIRST not club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.