Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Having issues at SFO right now. Agent believes the same test I used last week to be wrong.

Added: agent was confused as to the differences between allergen and lateral flow tests after reading through Timatic.
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by xenole; Dec 20, 2021 at 10:07 pm
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole
Having issues at SFO right now. Agent believes the same test I used last week to be wrong.

Added: agent was confused as to the differences between allergen and lateral flow tests after reading through Timatic.
Yes, that in the USA context is not unusual and I do wonder if that is/was part of the problem that some people have had. Though to be fair, you use the term allergen and it's antigen (allergen is for allergies). When there are various rule changes then in the various threads that I monitor there is oftena number of people asking whether test type X is OK or not, I guess it's confusing for some. I am not keen on the term antigen since strictly speaking PCR is antigen, in science an antigen test is a very broad term which is not specific to COVID-19, but that really would confuse matters. Hopefully the agent gave the green light in due course.
moondog, wrp96 and biscuitbiscuit like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully the agent gave the green light in due course.
Keep putting allergen instead of antigen.
Probably the same Omnicron rather the Omicron at first.

Fine in the end. She rang a supervisor who explained things.
Some providers seem to be clearer on the certificate.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It is the accuser who must prove his case.
Not in the court of public opinion which is all Flyertalk is in reality.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by xenole
Keep putting allergen instead of antigen.
Probably the same Omnicron rather the Omicron at first.

Fine in the end. She rang a supervisor who explained things.
Some providers seem to be clearer on the certificate.
The UA check-in at SFO was super slick apart from one amusing (eventually) thing: she said "I cannot find the date on your negative test certificate". Cue a cold sweat breaking out and one of those "oh no" moments. Even though I had quadruple checked I was wondering if I had quadruplely missed it, but I hadn't (Klarity test). The interaction was about 5 seconds and I suspect my blood pressure went from high to mega-high in the time it took me to point it out with her saying "how did I miss that? Senior moment!". I got the (gut) feeling that they type of test was immaterial though, just that the dates matched, job done, go away.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:04 am

UPDATE: So, I have just received a pompous email from BA's customer services stating that they were right to deny us boarding from LA to LHR before Christmas as our tests (that we bought via the BA website) were not suitable for travel.

They complied with the GOV.UK guidelines, and of course BA haven't provided any proof of how they came to that decision.

I have replied requesting proof of how they were not suitable, so shall see what the guy comes back with.

Thus far he has been extremely unpleasant so I am not holding out hope that he will be helpful.

What do we need to do next, please?

Thank you!
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Adorabella
UPDATE: So, I have just received a pompous email from BA's customer services stating that they were right to deny us boarding from LA to LHR before Christmas as our tests (that we bought via the BA website) were not suitable for travel.

They complied with the GOV.UK guidelines, and of course BA haven't provided any proof of how they came to that decision.

I have replied requesting proof of how they were not suitable, so shall see what the guy comes back with.

Thus far he has been extremely unpleasant so I am not holding out hope that he will be helpful.

What do we need to do next, please?

Thank you!
Did they offer any reason why the test was not compliant?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:13 am

No, none at all, which is why I responded with a request for actual proof that our test was not suitable.

I have just rechecked the pre-departure email that BA sent and the screenshot from the government website and our tests totally comply with those written requirements, as I have understood them.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
It boggles the mind that BA have not acknowledged their extremely obvious error here.
Silver Fox, wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:26 am

They are now also refusing to respond to my request for proof that our BA approved tests were not suitable and think that is the end of the matter! They could not be more wrong! It is only just beginning.
Silver Fox and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:27 am

They are now also refusing to respond to my request for proof that our BA approved tests were not suitable and think that is the end of the matter! They could not be more wrong! It is only just beginning.
What exactly have they said? Have they just not yet responded or have they said they will not respond?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:56 am

They responded to say that they will not respond any further giving absolutely NO reason as to why our BA recommended tests (bought via a link on the BA website, which fulfilled all UK Gov requirements (as also set out in the BA pre-departure email) are not suitable. They have suggested that I contact CEDR: Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution. I have taken it to Twitter (Simon Calder, Lisa Minot, etc). The guy (Baxter Armit) also made us send him our flight documentation twice in the mail, despite being able to see that we were on that flight and was extremely condescending throughout.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:15 am

They responded to say that they will not respond any further giving absolutely NO reason as to why our BA recommended tests (bought via a link on the BA website, which fulfilled all UK Gov requirements (as also set out in the BA pre-departure email) are not suitable. They have suggested that I contact CEDR: Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution. I have taken it to Twitter (Simon Calder, Lisa Minot, etc). The guy (Baxter Armit) also made us send him our flight documentation twice in the mail, despite being able to see that we were on that flight and was extremely condescending throughout.
Okay, so we have the 'deadlock letter', which is good. It's now time to commence the CEDR process, your claim is for IDB (£520 per passenger or €600 if your final destination was an EU/EEA country), the cost of any accommodation and subsistence for the period of delay, the cost of any additional transport to/from the airport/hotel, and the cost of the unnecessary new COVID-19 tests.

Make sure your claim deals only with the facts of the denied boarding and consequential expenses, leave the emotional language out it and any reference to the perceived attitude of the BA caseworkers/agents, that will only cloud the issues.

If you need any input in the wording of your claim, please come back.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:20 am

I would be so grateful for your help with the wording, please.

Also, was just sent this photo on Twitter. I dealt with the same guy, Ryan, on Twitter messages who seems to be very clear on the rules when his colleagues are not.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I wouldn't get in to any twitter stuff in your complaint, it's a bit superfluous to your case.

Instead as noted focus on setting out clearly but succinctly what you had, and that it met the requirements, that LAS denied you boarding, and that BA in the subsequent complaint have failed to set out why your pre departure test was not acceptable.

The key here is to be concise and not go in to anything which really isn't relevant.

I would very strongly recommend you take up Tobias-UK's kind offer to help on the wording once you drafted something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.