Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021 | 3:32 am
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum

It seems from twitter that BA has been putting signs up in Vegas airport saying they're not accepting home or online tests for the departure from the US testing. @LasVegasUK is the source.

This isn't according to other information, where an online administered test is good (we were planning to order online, bring it with us, and verify in the hotel over the net).

BA seems to be ignoring requests for information on this. I'm posting this on the BA specific forum because it appears to be a BA Only thing, and perhaps a LAS only thing.

Last edited by Smid; Dec 13, 2021 at 4:37 am Reason: Title clarification
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 3:40 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
It’s also happened at JFK with passengers sent to buy on airport tests.

BA are aware of it as is Simon Calder who is pushing for answers. Seems a handwritten sign has been affixed to the BA check in sign I’m guessing as a result of agents incorrectly interpreting the rules.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 4:03 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Its also happened at JFK with passengers sent to buy on airport tests.

BA are aware of it as is Simon Calder who is pushing for answers. Seems a handwritten sign has been affixed to the BA check in sign Im guessing as a result of agents incorrectly interpreting the rules.
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread! Returning from JFK on 25 Dec as I was told this home kit from Excalibur Health was fine 1-day before travel back to the UK
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 4:07 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Why would BA staff ignore the official rules? Where had this mandate come from? Its crazy and makes an already stressful situation worse.

I wouldnt be surprised if someone sued BA.
SxMan and remaxmac like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
Ridiculous situation. Non-BA staff not knowing correct rules. How unwise of former CEO axing international staff and outstations...
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 4:10 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by TPRun
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread! Returning from JFK on 25 Dec as I was told this home kit from Excalibur Health was fine 1-day before travel back to the UK
It is fine.
The country you depart from doesn't have any say in the type of test you need to *enter the UK* - that's fixed by the UK government.
Some countries may require departure testing in specific scenarios, but the USA, at present, does not.
This situation is solely the product of staff incorrectly interpreting the rules.
wrp96, Arsey00, BSAChris and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 4:21 am
Original Poster

It sounds like ground staff, so people who used to be under the employ of BA, but are probably now third party contractors.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 4:22 am
50 Countries Visited1M5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC GGL; TK Elite (*A Gold); SAS Eurobonus Gold (Skyteam Elite Plus); Mucci des Puccis
I would be inclined not to show the certificate but to add it to verifly and show the green tick. But this is really ridiculous. I wonder if someone is conflating the fit to fly with day 2?
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 4:25 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I would be inclined not to show the certificate but to add it to verifly and show the green tick. But this is really ridiculous. I wonder if someone is conflating the fit to fly with day 2?
I'm certain I read that they were ignoring Verifly too.
KeaneJohn and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL; TK Elite (*A Gold); SAS Eurobonus Gold (Skyteam Elite Plus); Mucci des Puccis
The fact someone got it into their head to write a notice means there is probably a bit of de-escalation required
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 5:15 am
50 Countries Visited3M15 Years on Site

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
It is fine.
The country you depart from doesn't have any say in the type of test you need to *enter the UK* - that's fixed by the UK government.
Some countries may require departure testing in specific scenarios, but the USA, at present, does not.
This situation is solely the product of staff incorrectly interpreting the rules.
It is not fine if the airline does not allow you to board.
lobo411, wrp96 and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 5:35 am

Old Dec 13, 2021 | 5:38 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
If I've read that sign right it says you don't need a test to transit, but I'm fairly sure you do.
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 6:05 am
Original Poster

I think it was hanging off a BA sign at the BA Checkin, so didn't apply for much else. Connecting would be onwards from LHR.
Old Dec 13, 2021 | 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by S_W_S
If I've read that sign right it says you don't need a test to transit, but I'm fairly sure you do.
Yes the sign is wrong on that count too. Transit passengers through UK airports are now also required to show a neg pre-flight test.

I find it utterly irritating and very concerning that the same BA employees turning those passengers away were allegedly handing out info cards for $200 rapid tests, which apparently were the same type of tests as the self-tests in question. Predatory capitalism at its worst. The whole thing smells very fishy to say the least.
lobo411, Silver Fox, wrp96 and 9 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.