Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
We are now back to where we were a year ago. A test before leaving, a test before returning and a test after arrival.
enviroian, florens, esledo and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
according to BBC a lateral flow it is… no indication currently when test is required before departure…
48 hours before departure time is being reported.

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...tests-25617775
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
Originally Posted by xenole
I took a lateral flow on the Friday and was negative. Tested positive from another on Sunday.
No guarantee if I flew back from the US with a negative test, took a day 2 PCR next morning on arrival, that I wouldn't be positive a day or two later.

I would rather be back home and test positive than be stuck somewhere abroad that could costs ££££.

(If it's a non-supervised lateral flow, got the simplytestme one I ordered a while ago lying around, assuming that could be used)
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Ditto - it is too risky taking a test while in a foreign country. Plus it is just more money and hard work.

It is going to be a rough winter for travel again.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'm in favour of this change, it makes sense to test travellers before they get on an aircraft. I routinely test on the morning before every trip I take.
Tobias-UK here you go
people enjoy passing the cost of being +ve to others.
EuropeanPete and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
So now for a 3-day trip next week I will end up paying for 8 tests for the 2 of us travelling.

PCR before departure, antigen before return, LFT day 2 test already delivered and paid for - now superseded by the PCR day 2 test also delivered and paid for. Overkill much??
passy777, florens, ENTP and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
What a PITA. Its not going to affect my travel plans though, if I get stranded overseas, so be it. I'm taking my work laptop with me so I can work from anywhere. All I will need is a few bucks for food and a change of ticket home.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
So now for a 3-day trip next week I will end up paying for 8 tests for the 2 of us travelling.

PCR before departure, antigen before return, LFT day 2 test already delivered and paid for - now superseded by the PCR day 2 test also delivered and paid for. Overkill much??
I'm expecting to add an arrival test in whatever country you're travelling to by the following week.....

Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
I think some non video tests such as Chronomics might still be accepted as last time. Makes it slightly more bearable.
Yes I hope so too, had terrible trouble with one Qured video call in the summer due to poor Wifi.

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Excessive testing for international travel only makes mathematical sense whilst imported cases of the VOC are a reasonable proportion of all cases - it won’t be long before 99% of Omicron transmission is domestic.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Who would be checking all these lateral flow tests anyway?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'm in favour of this change, it makes sense to test travellers before they get on an aircraft. I routinely test on the morning before every trip I take.
In theory, they'll stop some cases coming in.

However in practice I'm sceptical how effective these are. 10% of passengers from South Africa tested positive on arrival in the Netherlands recently when a mass test was conducted on arrival. All had submitted a negative LFT before departure.

The Delta variant also got in here pretty easily as well despite these tests being in place at the time. I can't find the article, but recall reading 4% of travellers were testing positive after arrival.

This feels a bit like bolting the door after your horse has legged it. Omicron is here; it can't be kept out. As a time buying measure I also can't see how it'll make an impact given the high risk countries are subject to an effective travel ban unless they are UK residents.
remaxmac likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I hope the pre-arrival test isn’t necessary for transiting passengers as that would make things impossible.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It’s a stupid question but are lateral flow and antigen the same thing?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
10% of passengers from South Africa tested positive on arrival in the Netherlands recently when a mass test was conducted on arrival. All had submitted a negative LFT before departure.
Do you know how many passengers tested positive with LFT prior to the flight and didn't fly?
Tobias-UK and Arsey00 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
It’s a stupid question but are lateral flow and antigen the same thing?
It's not a stupid question, and yes. Lateral flow tests are also called 'rapid antigen tests' and they test for antigens - bits of protein from the virus itself.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SarahWest
Do you know how many passengers tested positive with LFT prior to the flight and didn't fly?
No.

I have never seen any figures of this kind published.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.