Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Krisz
no. I have no fear of getting Covid. I have a fear that I could be locked up in a prison hotel for god knows how long in a foreign country.
I agree that testing is a PINTA but it allow people who have learned to manage/accept risk to travel. The hard truth is that the days of embarking on a nice cozy vacation without accepting some risk to COVID are currently gone and it will probably be awhile before they return. We have a choice to make the best of the situation or wait for tomorrow.
HIDDY, Arsey00, bisonrav and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
This will not be a popular opinion so I will preface it by saying that I was an early voice of concern in March 2020 on FT and was ridiculed for the idea that covid might be a problem for the world community. I don't think I am supposed to link to locked threads so I won't but some will remember that thread and the countless others before the original "lockdown". Following that I and my family and many of my friends have been involved heavily in the sharp edge of the pandemic. The past 18 months I have seen more suffering than I care to recount and I can assure anyone that I am as aware as I could be of how awful covid can be.

But we are at the point now where every adult in the UK has had the opportunity to be double vaccinated and most of us if not already will be triple vaccinated within a matter of weeks. We have several excellent treatments available for covid with more approved and scheduled to be available shortly. I can tell you that EVERY YEAR for many years the NHS has faced a crisis in the winter and that EVERY YEAR for many years young, middle-aged and elderly people have died before their time from respiratory viral infections.

However, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that this kind of travel-related testing in healthy travelling populations does anything to prevent the spread of covid or its variants. There are dozens of other 'mitigations' that have become the norm in the 'new world' which also have absolutely no proven effect on viral transmission, I won't dredge them up to save going off topic. Instead we have a media that is desperate to sow panic and lay blame at every chance, and opportunistic politicians who will capitalise on any kind of public sentiment. I just watched a vox pop on Sky news suggesting that every single person in the airport was staunchly in favour of the new testing regime. It's a sad, sad day.

Omicron has currently killed as many people as Mr Blobby, and the only thing that will make any difference (short of another lockdown) if it does turn out to more serious is booster jabs. Every day I am meeting people who are too paralysed by fear to go out, children who have missed months of school and will never catch up, people too scared to see their GP about their long-standing worrying symptoms unrelated to covid.

We need to get back to normal. Risking death is the cost of living.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
I am traveling out from the US to UK next week, I will be taking the Video Abott Binax Now test for arrival into the US which I used back in July and it worked well.

Can I use the same type of Test for Entry into the UK?
yes.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
I assume 4am Tuesday, is when you need to be back in the UK by, rather than when you board your flight? Website not definitive (or perhaps wishful thinking on my part?)
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 2358
I assume 4am Tuesday, is when you need to be back in the UK by, rather than when you board your flight? Website not definitive (or perhaps wishful thinking on my part?)
it is when you arrive, so anyone arriving in the UK beyond 0400 Tuesday will need a pre departure test.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I can understand the testing before arrival. The one that really makes the UK the odd one out (except from particularly at risk destination) is adding another test after arrival especially with the prospect of quarantining till the result is known. I think that asking for a pre-arrival test is sensible but that vaccinated travellers should be left alone thereafter, which, in effect, is what much of the rest of the Western world is doing.
crazy8534, bisonrav and Fatdickie like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
This really is becoming a bloody shambles. Airlines and the leisure industry are never going to recover if we have to go through this nonsense every time the virus mutates. When was the last time flu shut down international travel? Never. Why is this any different? The world has gone mad.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Originally Posted by TTmex
I'm guessing most insurance policies won't cover COVID positive test while abroad? I.e..covering the associated cost of isolating in a hotel
My travel insurance includes COVID cover with reimbursement of costs in the event of having to isolate.
Arsey00 and TTmex like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:44 pm

Connecting flights

Appreciate there will still be more detail to come on this new rule, but I would value any advice. I am flying on QF35 from Melbourne to Singapore on Wednesday 8th December, then connecting to BA 12 Singapore to London.

Is the pre departure test requirement 2 days or 48 hours, and is the time frame in relation to my departure time from Melbourne or from Singapore?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
littlefish likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by GLA37
Appreciate there will still be more detail to come on this new rule, but I would value any advice. I am flying on QF35 from Melbourne to Singapore on Wednesday 8th December, then connecting to BA 12 Singapore to London.

Is the pre departure test requirement 2 days or 48 hours, and is the time frame in relation to my departure time from Melbourne or from Singapore?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
likely to be two days prior to arrival in the Uk - so you need to do a test anytime from Monday onwards.
littlefish and Arsey00 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Can I take the tests I buy in the UK through BA site to do 48 hours before flying back to the UK? (flying with BA)
I have LFTs purchased for the 1-day rule prior to US travel, can I buy another and take it with me, use it 48 hours before travelling back?
Or does it have to be a specific test purchased in the US? (or is that a totally stupid question )
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
likely to be two days prior to arrival in the Uk - so you need to do a test anytime from Monday onwards.
Thank you, KARFA. That’s very helpful.

I think I will likely need 2 tests. Take the one I have already booked on Monday, 2 days prior to my Flight to Singapore, then another one on Tuesday or Wednesday to meet the UK requirements for my arrival on Thursday.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I can understand the testing before arrival. The one that really makes the UK the odd one out (except from particularly at risk destination) is adding another test after arrival especially with the prospect of quarantining till the result is known. I think that asking for a pre-arrival test is sensible but that vaccinated travellers should be left alone thereafter, which, in effect, is what much of the rest of the Western world is doing.

CH now has the same requirement for a day 4-7 test. Madness.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by GLA37
Thank you, KARFA. That’s very helpful.

I think I will likely need 2 tests. Take the one I have already booked on Monday, 2 days prior to my Flight to Singapore, then another one on Tuesday or Wednesday to meet the UK requirements for my arrival on Thursday.
ah yes sorry I thought you were arriving in the Uk on Wednesday hence why I said from Monday onwards.

if you are arriving on Thursday it would be from Tuesday onwards.
littlefish likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
ah yes sorry I thought you were arriving in the Uk on Wednesday hence why I said from Monday onwards.

if you are arriving on Thursday it would be from Tuesday onwards.
Very helpful. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.