Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Not flown since pandemic started - What to expect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Having to fly to LAS (BA275) this Friday for work providing Covid test is negative tomorrow.

Travelling in J, what new experiences should I expect at check-in, in the lounge and onboard?

Using the Verifly App for Covid documentation.

Regards

Thyper
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:51 am

Expect to present negative Covid test at checkin (if it has not been accepted by Verifly). Unless this has changed in the last few weeks, you might also be asked to show documents at boarding gate by a CBP contractor in the UK. Potentially expect to show proof of vaccination and/or negative test upon arrival in the USA (have print outs of both to hand, ideally multiple copies in case they want to keep one).

Have masks with you for use in lounge and on board (must be worn unless actively eating/drinking). Multiple masks necessary for a long haul flight as they are less effective with time and also get rather icky after several hours. If you are using a surgical mask/FFP2/N95 have spares in case the strings strapping the thing on break (this is a not irregular occurrence).

Depending on which lounge you are, ordering is by phone app, or staff-served buffet, no longer help yourself to anything (except water maybe)

Be prepared to be offered Dettol wipes by BA crew upon/shortly after boarding, and for slightly pared down dining experience. Potentially no Club Kitchen as they don't really want people loitering in the Galley.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Club Kitchen is back, albeit with a fairly limited offering, but otherwise that is a good summary. The OP can look around at the other recent data point posts (e.g. CW food thread, VeriFLY thread) to get an idea of what life is like. So long as your travel documentation is OK, have a mask and don't arrive too late for boarding then there isn't really any "gotcha" that I can think of in this space. The arrival in the USA will be almost identical to before the pandemic, I can't think of any difference at CBP (or indeed TSA on the return or domestic travel).
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Just to add to GBOAC's excellent post;

Dining- Everything will be on one tray ( see the Club world dining thread for an idea as to what to expect) Slightly fewer choices and no preordering of main meal choices ( apart from special meals). Same with 2nd meal. Alcohol still available ( may need to ask for a top up of wine if not offerd by a crew member

The cabin crew on my flights to date have mentioned thant masks are good for about 4 hours ( so probably a couple of changes on the plane). They also advise to avoid queuing for the toilets if possible ( ie keep an eye on the toilet sign ( may be easier said than done)

I would probably also carry a small bottle of hand sanitiser and a packet of wipes ( this would be useful even pre covid to wipe down any surfaces on your seat area )

2 boarding lanes ( 1 for group 1-2-3)

Disembarking is likey to be done in small groups so the cabin crew will announce which rows can stand up.

A 777 rather than the 747s on the LHR-LAS route ( maybe a 350 or 787)

Lounge- I think for GC there is a QR code on the table to order some items ( others are self service or assited by lounge staff)

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Nov 23, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi GBOAC & TBS,

Many thanks for your information.

I have a box of 20 FFP2/KN95 masks as well as a few cloth ones for the flight. Good advice as to having multiple copies of documentation.

Regards
Thyper
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can anyone confirm that multiple printed copies of COVID test results are required, as having access to a printer is not always possible when travelling.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Can anyone confirm that multiple printed copies of COVID test results are required, as having access to a printer is not always possible when travelling.

Hi,

when I flew to germany in september, I took multiple copies of my vaccination status ( for showing at museums and hotels etc) as despite my best efforts the paper got crumpled. Scanned copies were sufficient to show as proof of vaccination. I would take a couple of spare copies just in case.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: HHD
We print the vaccination status QR code (print to pdf option), save the pdf and put it in OneNote. No internet access necessary and it worked well in Germany and Switserland for hotels, restaurants and other public places. More convenient than have a printed paper with you.
Thyper and The _Banking_Scot like this.

Last edited by Stephan54; Nov 23, 2021 at 1:29 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I haven't seen a situation where printed copies of documents are required but it will just make your life easier as there will be less fiddling with apps, wifi and data roaming.

Just be prepared to be flexible as the procedures and regulations differ by route. Just because A to B was one way doesn't mean B to A or B to C will be the same.
Thyper likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I've never asked anything in printed form. Most of the countries form using QR code, etc same with vaccination. In regards of test everyone just want to have a look and check your name, dob, passport number and if it's negative. No-one wanted an actual physical copy. Probably there are some countries which require printed docs so I know it's not 100%.
In regards what to expect, well more queuing, more checks but services more or less back to normal. Except hotels where there is always a covid excuse why the lounge is closed, why they can't upgrade you even if you have the highest status, etc. BA point f view make sure you can read QR code on your phone to able to order food and drinks.
Wear masks all the time. Other than these don't think anything changed. Airports which were rubbish are still rubbish (hello Manchester) airports which are good they are still good.
Thyper likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Despite the reports of great increases in US air rage, more than 99% of your fellow travelers are glad to be back in the sky and moving around the world again. Its that last 1% that cause grief to all. I just go to the airport trying to remember let peace begin with me and remember that everyones been under a lot of stress for a while now.

Unless youre talking MIA or FLL-the default assumption is that everyone is stark raving bonkers there.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Having just travelled back last week with BA from LAS, the flight was strangely familiar and little difference once on board.

Masks and boarding process stand out as the key ones. Of course verifly.

If you are flying back to lhr with BA, they are currently at T1 at LAS. Unsure how long for though.

Also rental shuttle bus is very patchy in frequency.

Enjoy the somewhat balmy weather.
Thyper likes this.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Nov 23, 2021 at 3:03 pm
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Dont they provide masks?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
i have been back and forth to the US and the EU since mid-sept and aside from everything mentioned above, i'd note:

(1) printed documentation is less necessary today v two months ago provided you have submitted docs to verifly. i started out printing everything which was helpful, but the last three weeks, no one has asked for anything other than verifly and/or the BA document upload service--both of which i always did and never had an issue at check in.

(2) on BA and at LHR, be mindful of your mask. i had a mask hawk in F the other week to LAX, but otherwise people are generally courteous and do not take the pi** avoiding masks on board.

(3) vegas will be different re masks bc of course--terrible americans. but if you are just doing a return to LAS, you should hopefully avoid those terrible americans.

(4) it feels close to normal (well, plus masks) and i hope you enjoy!

(5) de-planing by rows is a god send. unknown about boarding because i have had so many go***mn longhaul bus stands from LHR where it is mostly irrelevant.
Thyper likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Krisz
I've never asked anything in printed form.
This topic is probably still raging in another thread. The gotcha here is that at one point, a required QR code for entering the UK only showed on a pdf printout (though a pic of it should have worked too, just not the initial digital offering). Verifly highlighted the need for a hard copy in its app, but some people didn't follow the recommendation or chose to ignore it, so they were turned away at check-in to find a printer. That issue may be fixed now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.