Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check-in policy for LHR - LCY Connection

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Check-in policy for LHR - LCY Connection

I’m booked on a BA marketed/AA metal overnight from JFK to LHR, then have a LCY to FLR Cityflyer on the same booking/ticket 5 hours later on the day of arrival. But I don't want to take the flight to Florence, and removing that leg from the ticket looks like it would be costly. My question is: at JFK, will I / can I just be checked in for the JFK to LHR leg (and thus only have to fulfill UK entry requirements), and not for the final leg (for which I would have to fulfil Italy entry requirements). I know luggage won’t be checked through and don’t care about the no-show implications, but mainly concerned about problems checking in at JFK for the 1st flight w/o Italy PLF, test, etc. In theory I'd have enough time to head home in central London en route, take an antigen test, and head on to City; that would be my story anyway.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ledcran02
I’m booked on a BA marketed/AA metal overnight from JFK to LHR, then have a LCY to FLR Cityflyer on the same booking/ticket 5 hours later on the day of arrival. But I don't want to take the flight to Florence, and removing that leg from the ticket looks like it would be costly. My question is: at JFK, will I / can I just be checked in for the JFK to LHR leg (and thus only have to fulfill UK entry requirements), and not for the final leg (for which I would have to fulfil Italy entry requirements). I know luggage won’t be checked through and don’t care about the no-show implications, but mainly concerned about problems checking in at JFK for the 1st flight w/o Italy PLF, test, etc. In theory I'd have enough time to head home in central London en route, take an antigen test, and head on to City; that would be my story anyway.
Given the fact that AA are sticklers for hidden city ticketing to get a cheaper fare I’d personally imagine JFK check in staff would want to see all documents and requirements for final destination. Just my personal opinion. Theoretically as you say bags will be checked to London Heathrow and even if you are checked in and given a boarding pass for the LCY flight you will be offloaded if you don’t make it.

The other niggling doubt I have is in irrops would AA reroute you say JFK-FCO or somewhere close to FLR and would they get difficult if you said no I want to go via LHR.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m fairly certain AA will require you to present and meet all requirements for entry to the final destination. You luggage, of course, won’t be a problem.
orbitmic and DiamondMile like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Complete the AA sector, then in MMB, once in London, apply for a FTV cancellation on the Florence ticket. This is of course assuming it's the last sector on the ticket. If there is a return sector, then you have to go to Florence to avoid the rest of the ticket being cancelled.
alex67500 and Amil like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by ledcran02
I think your story need not be that you are going to head home, merely that you are going to the test in the airport (for Day 2 UK) and reuse for flying to Italy.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the advice, all. I think I'm going to play it safe and have my paperwork together for Italy (and hope entry requirements don't change in the next few weeks). Could play the "I will test at LCY" card, but it's the same difference - if they don't accept that explanation at JFK, then I'm not getting on the flight to London. I guess that's the other thing, what if Italy closes the borders or something, they wouldn't allow me to get on at JFK and get to LHR? Would hope that common sense would win out in that case...

corporate-wage-slave appreciate this, I didn't even consider FTV as a possibility - yes it's the final segment of the itinerary so I'll definitely do it. Of course this raises the question, if that is possible, and is a completely legitimate option, then why not just allow me to get off at LHR and they can keep the value of the final leg! We'd all be better off
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just as a data point...I have had three international flights from the US in the last month. In every case I was asked for the Covid etc requirements for the final destination, even when there was a US or other intermediate connection. I think in these times you are best advised to wear both belt and braces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.