Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Please remain seated until your row number is called when......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!

...... you'll be able to disembark and squeeze on to the packed bus that will take you to the terminal.

Another Covid-related measure that is designed to make people feel safe while achieving absolutely zero. At least they no longer insist that you have to take the alcohol wipe and plastic bag. I did complain that pre-Covid we were being told how big a problem plastic was for the environment (no disagreement with that) and that issuing thousands of these a day was environmentally damaging.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gaza
...... you'll be able to disembark and squeeze on to the packed bus that will take you to the terminal.

Another Covid-related measure that is designed to make people feel safe while achieving absolutely zero. At least they no longer insist that you have to take the alcohol wipe and plastic bag. I did complain that pre-Covid we were being told how big a problem plastic was for the environment (no disagreement with that) and that issuing thousands of these a day was environmentally damaging.
this is one of the best features i have seen around for quite some while. its just awesome and i want it to stay forever.

it gives me a way better situation onboard the aircraft. you can disembark without anyone staying around and/or pressing his/her backpack into your face/shoulder/back/neck/etc.

Last edited by Nephoi; Nov 11, 2021 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I have to say I also like the disembarkation by rows. It does make for a far more orderly exit, irrespective of whether that's direct into the terminal or to a waiting bus / limo / golf buggy
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I thought the wipes in the bags were useless, but it keeps someone in a job making them up, and after picking up Covid, they're handy for sanitising whatever I touch.

I don't mind "rows 1-4 only" etc. but it makes no difference if there's a bus as you're still waiting for 50 other people to organise themselves, get baby sorted etc. (Works well if you're at the front, airbridge and have under 30 mins to get through flight connections and into the lounge for brekkie)
Same in reverse. The bus has to wait for you, and there will always be some passenger with mobility issues at the end who will struggle with stairs.

There's pretty much always someone who's up like a shot regardless of crew instructions (such as the man I've mentioned before who was like a jack rabbit until they disembarked onto buses from the rear only)
MatJarosz and Nephoi like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
My experience is that this works well on BA, but it is hopeless on other airlines. I had about six flights on SATA and TAP recently and the same announcement was made - I think I was the only passenger who adhered to the instructions...
MatJarosz and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I'm not a big fan of the remain seated either. I quite like the 2-3 minutes of standing as doors open. Allows me to grab my bag, put on the coat, get the passport ready.
Gaza likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
3 flights on Monday. 2 with Iberia and 1 with BA.
The two flights with Iberia were the slowest for passengers boarding but the fastest for disembarking, even though cabin crew said by rows it was just mayhem.
The flight was delayed arriving in PMI , the first flight PMI to MAD, passengers were still sauntering down the ramp to board in their ones and twos and it was a hand baggage nightmare , weren’t so worried about their connections then as they were at the top of the ramp.Running off the plane in MAD not caring who got knocked over.
MAD to LHR was similar but with a jetway and not so much rushing on disembarkation.
LHR to GLA was far better loading but only slightly better disembarking, once one person was on their feet everyone was. Announcements a waste of time which the crew are helpless to enforce.
P.S. Also would like to thank the guy sat in 1D for spending most of the flight without his mask on, no consideration for others. (LHR-GLA)
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
This reminds me of the time I, then maybe 16, made the mistake of getting off a bus at a hard stand in MUC and stepping aside to allow an elderly woman to climb the stairs to our Alitalia ATR-72 to Rome.

About 30 men in prime fighting form barreled past me to get onto that plane.

I, an American connecting through Munich on my second visit to the continent, wound up with my large carry-on shoved under my feet, overhead space taken, muttering that this felt very different than Lufthansa.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Half of my arrivals over the last four weeks (into MUC / IBZ/ VIE / LHR) had the pleasure of a but gate allocation where two buses where waiting for all pax. Given that, I had the pleasure to meet about 90 pax from the rows behind (of course neither airport operator lets a bus drive away before it is completely full) which makes the disembarking by row totally absurd/ hilarious.

On the contrary, my latest BA arrival into DXB the whole Eco was allow to stand up and disembark in one go, so either in DXB Covid does not exist, or the rules don't have to be followed that strictly.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I really hope the row number disembark stays. So much calmer. It’s all a load of nonsense re bus, boarding tunnel, other pinch points etc etc but I like this feature
Stez, dobba, Markx and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by xenole
I thought the wipes in the bags were useless, but it keeps someone in a job making them up, and after picking up Covid, they're handy for sanitising whatever I touch.
They don’t keep someone in a job at all - they’re made up by the cabin crew!
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I have to say I also like the disembarkation by rows. It does make for a far more orderly exit, irrespective of whether that's direct into the terminal or to a waiting bus / limo / golf buggy
Totally agree with you but still the numpties ignore the request
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by EJetter
They don’t keep someone in a job at all - they’re made up by the cabin crew!
Surprised the Unions aren't complaining about these extra duties then
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:28 pm
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Markx
Totally agree with you but still the numpties ignore the request
Had one on my flight to NCE a couple of weeks back.
Guy in exit row loudly proclaimed he was a frequent flyer when CC were advising him of the fact he was in an exit row before take off.
Very same guy was up and standing next to me (seated) in row 7 at front of ET within about 5 seconds of the seatbelt sign being turned off.
Clearly not THAT frequent-a-flyer if he doesn't know how how to disembarque these days.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
On behalf of the maskless, you are most welcome.
Rim1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.