Search

Delayed Flight 241 tix Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:28 am
EB2
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Delayed Flight 241 tix Compensation

I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me on the possibility of making a claim for compensation under the following circumstances. We flew LHR JNB on a 241 Amex ticket on the 5th November . The plane went technical just after pushback and we returned to the gate, later found out it was due to a fault with the landing gear. Fortunately our replacement was a 777-300 next-door at C62 with exactly the same layout. Our revised departure time was 4 hours 50 mins later. Are we eligible to claim compensation for the this delay in either avios or cash ?

We also had a connecting BA ComAir JNB DUR which we'd checked in on just before boarding the initial flight. This was on a separate PNR booked with cash. As we were unable to cancel this or get in touch with BA Res as after 8PM (though we emailed ComAir to XX) we decided to book a later flight on Com Air which we made. I understand we cant claim for consequential expenses but do you think its worth following up with a claim as it was a BA to BA connection ? Lesson learnt is not to check in for a connecting flight I guess

Finally I have to say the crew were excellent even though we had a curtailed breakfast service due to restrictions on their hours worked.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
First question, how long were you delayed on arriving?
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
You'll be able to get the compenstation for the late arrival of your intial flight.
Despite it being a BA to a BA(francise) flight, as they were seperate tickets you won't get anywhere for additional expenses for the Comair flight.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Comair are fairly understanding in this scenario, given past episodes of this reported on FT. Though it's not a guarantee - and you were not to know this as a recent joiner to FT - it's best to sort that out on arrival rather than making other bookings. It does seem to be consequential, not least because if you had made a single reservation then the "insurance" element would be included. And indeed that probably is your best source for recovering that cost, namely from your travel insurance company.

For the main point, yes a delay of that length (assuming you were over 4 hours late in landing) and for that reason is generally covered by EC261. I wouldn't expect any difficulty in getting payment. Just fill in a "any other reason" webform via the Contacts area of your BA login. More details in the main EC261 thread, which is in the BA Forum Dashboard.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:41 am
EB2
Original Poster

Thank-you so much for your replies. Yes we arrived 4 hours 33 mins after the due arrival. We decided to book the connection in advance as it was going to be a tight connection and with lots of others in the same situation didn't want to take a risk with queues at the Com Air Ticket office. As it turned out the flight was full so was worth booking. We had paid very little for the original JNB DUR so any compensation we get on the long-haul flight will cancel this out . Again thank-you for the advice
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
BA owes you EUR 600 in compensation per passenger.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 1:28 pm

And for the benefit of future readers of this thread, Comair are still able and willing to move customers to a later flight free of charge in this scenario, just ask them at the airport.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:53 am
EB2
Original Poster

I just wanted to update that after submitting my claim I received a confirmation yesterday from BA that it had been approved and advised the EUR600 X 2 will be paid to my account in the next few weeks. Extremely impressed and thank-you for the advise above and info on the sticky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.