Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight changed to impossible connection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Flight changed to impossible connection

I have booked LHR-DFW-SJD on ba.com, AA codeshare. The DFW stop was tight but doable at 2 hours.

Because I was impatient to choose seats and BA manage my booking said it can take 48 hours after booking to access through AA, I went into Royal Jordanian to do it. There I saw a notice offering me the chance to change my DFW-SJD to an earlier flight with just a 30 min connection. I didn't accept the change, but I did try ( and fail!) to play around with seat assignments.

Now, manage my booking on BA has the earlier flight with the impossible connection. Nothing has come through by email though, c.f. the usual instant emails for minor things like choosing a meal.

Is this something I should try to sort now? I assume it'll become some AA person's problem in DFW anyway since it's a single ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
How far off is your trip?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Not until December.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
Not until December.
In that case, sit back, kick off your shoes and relax. It will likely resolve itself well in advance of your flight. Perhaps take another look a few weeks before your departure date.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
In that case, sit back, kick off your shoes and relax. It will likely resolve itself well in advance of your flight. Perhaps take another look a few weeks before your departure date.
A word of warning this doesnt always happen, I probably wouldnt leave it that long. You dont want to be in a situation where there is limited choices because of availsbility a couple weeks from travel.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
A word of warning this doesnt always happen, I probably wouldnt leave it that long. You dont want to be in a situation where there is limited choices because of availsbility a couple weeks from travel.
Point taken. Although that’s why I said a few weeks rather than a couple of weeks
Old Oct 20, 2021, 6:52 am
Original Poster

So further investigation reveals that the flight I was originally booked in was cancelled by AA.

I had actually wanted to travel a few days earlier but the price difference was enough to put me off. Does this turn off events give me leverage to change dates without paying a fare difference? Note that there's still not been any official comms from BA.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
So further investigation reveals that the flight I was originally booked in was cancelled by AA.

I had actually wanted to travel a few days earlier but the price difference was enough to put me off. Does this turn off events give me leverage to change dates without paying a fare difference? Note that there's still not been any official comms from BA.
You should be able to take -3 or plus 14 days

I used this very helpful option just today; a return back on an exEU bargain holiday - I moved the final leg LHR-NCE to a weekend two weeks later and will have a weekend in Nice two weeks on from holiday - just need to get a reward flight home
Old Jan 14, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
A quickie re impossible connections.
A friend in BA booked a hotline journey for me - BHD-LHR-MXP, taking place in April. On 4 January my impossible connection happened as the LHR-MXP was cancelled and the earlier one substituted, That makes it impossible for me.
How long should it take for the BA system to correct itself?
All emails will go to my BA friend but if time moves on without alteration, can I contact the Call Centre as it's in my name?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Stormbel
I have a cancelled flight and a rebooked connection that won't work for my trip in May and have been waiting for over a month for the booking spiders to see and fix it. I will have to call presumably but there is still plenty of time so I will wait for now with fingers crossed.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
Originally Posted by Stormbel
A quickie re impossible connections.
A friend in BA booked a hotline journey for me - BHD-LHR-MXP, taking place in April. On 4 January my impossible connection happened as the LHR-MXP was cancelled and the earlier one substituted, That makes it impossible for me.
All emails will go to my BA friend but if time moves on without alteration, can I contact the Call Centre as it's in my name?
I had the same thing recently when my return trip had an impossible connection at LHR to GLA, I left it for 10 days and nothing happened nor any email from BA, so I called them and had the 1st leg outbound and the last leg changed to start and finish from EDI. They did this very quickly and I was reticketed immediately. I would call them rather that wait for it to resolve itself
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
I'm due to fly MAN-LHR-JFK in June - a redemption booking. Last week the MAN-LHR flight I was booked on was cancelled, with the new flight I was shifted onto not meeting MCT. I left it I was due to call for another matter in the next week or two, however I've now found my LHR-JFK leg is completely gone from the booking (however is still bookable online) I'm 90% sure it's still in the system somewhere, but for peace of mind (or insanity perhaps is a better word) I'm now sat listening to BA hold music to get to the bottom of the issue. I guess just something to be mindful of...
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Colesmore
I'm due to fly MAN-LHR-JFK in June - a redemption booking. Last week the MAN-LHR flight I was booked on was cancelled, with the new flight I was shifted onto not meeting MCT. I left it I was due to call for another matter in the next week or two, however I've now found my LHR-JFK leg is completely gone from the booking (however is still bookable online) I'm 90% sure it's still in the system somewhere, but for peace of mind (or insanity perhaps is a better word) I'm now sat listening to BA hold music to get to the bottom of the issue. I guess just something to be mindful of...
Turns out the 10% was right. As my connecting flight now made my JFK flight not meet MCT the system just cancelled that leg of my journey. I got through on online chat and it's been confirmed this is the how the system works, and requires manual intervention to correct it. At the moment nothing is entirely surprising, but given the net difference was to put me on a 70 min earlier MAN-LHR flight, cancelling the JFK sector seems an over-the-top way of the system handling such a thing, when the whole issue was caused by the system automatically putting me on a later flight rather than an earlier one when my initial flight was cancelled.. The agents first offer was to put my on a much later routing as well, not sure why.

Alas the lesson from this it would appear is don't take the wait and see approach.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Turns out the 10% was right. As my connecting flight now made my JFK flight not meet MCT the system just cancelled that leg of my journey. I got through on online chat and it's been confirmed this is the how the system works, and requires manual intervention to correct it. At the moment nothing is entirely surprising, but given the net difference was to put me on a 70 min earlier MAN-LHR flight, cancelling the JFK sector seems an over-the-top way of the system handling such a thing, when the whole issue was caused by the system automatically putting me on a later flight rather than an earlier one when my initial flight was cancelled.. The agents first offer was to put my on a much later routing as well, not sure why.

Alas the lesson from this it would appear is don't take the wait and see approach.
The advantage of wait and see in this scenario is that having had a leg cancelled you have an effectively flexible ticket until you accept a rebooking. Obviously some people will need/want to lock in their plans, but it isn’t always the best option.
Colesmore and plunet like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
I'm due to fly MAN-LHR-JFK in June .
Have a similar situation from MAN for an Easter BAH my outward leg at some point MAN-LHR-FAO simply vanished from my booking! All the flights were the same times when I checked availability, so couldn’t understand at first. Connection at T5 was 1 hour 20 mins.

After digging around found out the FAO is now moved to T3, hence some IT routine must flag the connection as invalid and simply cancel it from the booking with no other communication! Just happened to stumble across it.

I presume this counts as a cancellation with full cash refund!? Can’t contact BAH easily and actually we wanted to change the holiday anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.