Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Vegetarian in CW - order on board or pre-order a special meal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vegetarian in CW - order on board or pre-order a special meal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It works it out for you with one click.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It works it out for you with one click.
Thats nifty. Other than meal options, what else on board is decided by status hierarchy?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can be used to choose who to upgrade should it be needed but to be honest most crew don’t even know it exists and they just go by the paper PIL.
krispy84 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 5:58 pm

It can be used to choose who to upgrade should it be needed but to be honest most crew don’t even know it exists and they just go by the paper PIL.
no paper PILs anymore. Each crew member has an iPhone with the PIL on it these days. You might see us frantically stabbing at our phones during boarding as we try and get the phone to connect to some random 3G network in a far flung destination to update the list before we close the doors. I promise we're not playing Candy Crush!
Old Sep 19, 2021, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the update bwaflyer, I knew this was the plan, how frustrating.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by bwaflyer
I promise we're not playing Candy Crush!
Speak for yourself…
Old Sep 19, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bwaflyer
no paper PILs anymore. Each crew member has an iPhone with the PIL on it these days. You might see us frantically stabbing at our phones during boarding as we try and get the phone to connect to some random 3G network in a far flung destination to update the list before we close the doors. I promise we're not playing Candy Crush!
is the PIL the list of all status passengers on board, and their CIV etc?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes and it used to be available in paper form as well as on the iPad, the iPad is fine as long as you can get Wi-fi!
wrp96 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
In Club Europe more and more the VLML is the same as the second option on the main menu. In the past I have found that ordering VLML can lead to drawbacks - no chocolate as on other passengers trays on inbound Gatters flights (!), but now I have seen TWO veggie choices (one a salad), so by ordering VLML I was at a slight disadvantage. I suspect the salad option as a 3rd choice, was because the Club cabin was so large.

It is rare for me to pre-order a vegetarian meal following years of disappointment. Ordering a lacto-ovo meal in advance too often results in a stripped-down vegan offering, with drawbacks as described above. Or worse.

My strategy is to glean what is on offer in CW or F. In First, I ask for a copy of the menu (for the relevant month) to be sent as soon as it is available. Then I decide if I can construct a satisfactory meal from the courses. Inbound flights require more work. The risk is if there are shortages. I'd rather take this gamble and choose what I'd like to eat from the menu.

Flyertalk BA Forum is a great source of menu information for CW, F and airport lounges. It has been so helpful for me.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Because it interferes with the service standards which is to take orders from front to back and when the full order is completed status is used to prioritise.
Imagine if everyone started saying I want the beef when they boarded as they don’t each fish?
Service standards can be adapted to ensure the smooth running of the flight. If someone says they're vegetarian, and they politely request the pasta, then it's in everyone's interest that that happens. Getting on and demanding the beef as they don't like curry is a totally different scenario.

What if someone is sat in the back row with no status, and notices that they're allergic to something in option 1, but option 2 is safe. Would you tell them they have to have option 1 as that's what's left, and quote them the service standards?
bluemoon68 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: ba silver
I would order in advance for the reasons other posters had mentioned. Also, another reason to order special meals is that in case of a cabin being oversold, passengers with special meals tend not to be downgraded at the gate, likewise ordering a special meal will preclude upgrades. This is not a posted policy but I've been told this by two people who work for a the ground agent that handles flights in my home airports that this is the case with a couple of airlines that service my home airport.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
I would order in advance for the reasons other posters had mentioned. Also, another reason to order special meals is that in case of a cabin being oversold, passengers with special meals tend not to be downgraded at the gate, likewise ordering a special meal will preclude upgrades. This is not a posted policy but I've been told this by two people who work for a the ground agent that handles flights in my home airports that this is the case with a couple of airlines that service my home airport.
Mrs endo always orders vegan meal in advance. It hasn't stopped us being upgraded on a couple of occasions, once into CW and once into F. Both back from US.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shefgab
Service standards can be adapted to ensure the smooth running of the flight. If someone says they're vegetarian, and they politely request the pasta, then it's in everyone's interest that that happens. Getting on and demanding the beef as they don't like curry is a totally different scenario.

What if someone is sat in the back row with no status, and notices that they're allergic to something in option 1, but option 2 is safe. Would you tell them they have to have option 1 as that's what's left, and quote them the service standards?
Telling someone to ask for their choice when boarding will be popular with your colleagues, I would suggest that a customer uses the laid down system to order a special meal, but hey what do I know?
PGberkshire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.