Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chances of BA adding Sydney to their schedule earlier than Apr 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of BA adding Sydney to their schedule earlier than Apr 2022?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Sydney in 2021/22: am I mad?

Some great prices out of OSL right now, especially for Sterling buyers....
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:53 am

If they are refundable rates go for it; but beware that Australian press has been suggesting it will be shut through 2021. FCO recommendation is still no travel ever; so travel insurance claims might be a problem. Given Norwegian and SAS are talking about being grounded through to 2021 that also might put a dent in getting to Oslo.

I have some refundable hotel nights booked over new year in aus, nz and new Caledonia an am just waiting on booking the flight...
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
These “crystal ball” threads are two a penny!

I’m booked in F in June (Reward), very very sure it’s not happening, so will use the new changing without space required policy and move to Sept and then Xmas. And then Easter. Hopefully I’ll get there
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA (Gold)
I have 2x F rewards booked to SYD in August.. I'm still hopeful..
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:24 pm

Given the inefficiency of SYD as a BA route both in terms of crew trip length and airframe utilisation, there surely has to be a huge question mark over whether the airline will ever return to Australia.
A P Yu, irishguy28 and surryson like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that it is unlikely that Australia will have changed its admission rules to allow non Australian residents/citizens by then

I wouldn't book it unless it has a very low cancellation fee
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
And that's assuming you can even get anywhere near Australia, HKG and SIN still have no-transit policies, although rumours are that HKG might be looking to lift the transit rules at the end of June.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Complextable
I have 2x F rewards booked to SYD in August.. I'm still hopeful..
Please PM me - with your national lottery numbers for Saturday’s draw.

Cheers
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
If the OP is willing to take such a risk, there’s also some very good fares out of Helsinki to Sydney in December in J with Qatar.
email2markt likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL360, Marriott Ambassdor
Originally Posted by subject2load
Please PM me - with your national lottery numbers for Saturday’s draw.

Cheers
Have end of June, end of July booked. Feel free to reach out I've got the winning numbers

Realistically I realize the chances are pretty close to 0, especially considering it'll be winter down under.
subject2load likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I booked. I used a voucher I had from a JFK flight that didn’t get cancelled. It’s a great fare but my working assumption is that either things will be nearer normal in 7 months time, in which case the flight will happen (and I will get a much needed holiday); or the Aussie border will still be closed and the flight will be cancelled, in which case I will get a refund.
LCY8737 and email2markt like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I booked. I used a voucher I had from a JFK flight that didn’t get cancelled. It’s a great fare but my working assumption is that either things will be nearer normal in 7 months time, in which case the flight will happen (and I will get a much needed holiday); or the Aussie border will still be closed and the flight will be cancelled, in which case I will get a refund.
Your refund will still only be a voucher though - the only thing that is looking like it will open up before end of year is travel between AU and NZ , so I wouldn't make too many plans
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Some great prices out of OSL right now, especially for Sterling buyers....
I'd not say you are mad, just optimistic.

Right now we have NO way of knowing what the state of play will be come December.

General govt messaging indicates limited international travel by end of year, potentially only to NZ as part of a 'trans-Tasman bubble', but it's hard to imagine that come December we'd be banning inbound travellers or requiring 14 day isolation, which would rather cruel your summer holiday plans. As long as you can get a refund / credit voucher and you're happy with that, I'd say "why not!"
ellielovesem and nancypants like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
These “crystal ball” threads are two a penny!

I’m booked in F in June (Reward), very very sure it’s not happening, so will use the new changing without space required policy and move to Sept and then Xmas. And then Easter. Hopefully I’ll get there
Can someone point me to this as couldn't see it anywhere. Thanks
Old May 1, 2020, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by whiteheatsyd
Can someone point me to this as couldn't see it anywhere. Thanks
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32337156-post1899.html

And

https://ba-assistant.eu-gb.mybluemix...6f120e0582a5ff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.