Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA, Avios & Expedia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:53 am
Original Poster

BA, Avios & Expedia

We booked our Hotel and flights with BA, who in turn booked the hotel with Avios who then used Expedia to book the hotel.....long storey short our hotel was closed for the duration of our stay and no one from BA, Avios or Expedia thought it was necessary to advise us that the hotel wasn't open. Disgraceful customer service and I would never have booked the hotel element of my holiday had I known how long the chain was and how hands off each party was.

Moral of the storey DONT book your hotel stay with BA as they dont have anything to do with the booking other than taking your money.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with BA

Last edited by OzzyBoy; Sep 6, 2021 at 7:54 am Reason: grammer
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
No, never had an issue with a BAH. Hope you had a good holiday.
krispy84 and Shingi like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:07 am

Moral of the story in covid times is to double check the hotel is open direct with the hotel. If the hotel hasn’t notified Expedia then they wouldn’t know, and in turn neither would BA.
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Surprised BA Holidays would be subcontracting to Avios, and then Avios to Expedia - sounds like an expensive supply chain! I spoke with BA holidays last week, and they (as a travel agent in their own right) seem to have direct contracts with hotels themselves.

I've never had an issue with BA Holidays, they have been excellent once you get to a travel advisor (who often shares their email address with you and often calls you back to help with extra things), must have been an unfortunate sequence of events the OP had? What did BA Holidays do when this all transpired - obviously they are responsible to look after you after the mistake was discovered - did they book you into another nearby hotel?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry to hear this OP. Within the email confirmation of the BA Holiday, there should have been contact details for the "duty office" and (albeit a wait on hold...) should have been able to help and resolve almost immediately. Did you source your own accommodation in place of this ? Or did the Holidays team help ?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:02 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Obviously another side to this story.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Obviously another side to this story.
Explain the obvious… I’m not seeing it.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT OzzyBoy, glad to see your first post on here and hopefully the first of many!

The booking does sound unusual, did you use avios to book the hotel, or was this part of a cash booking for a combined flight & hotel package? BA Holidays usually seem to book the hotels directly and as sb1982 notes will usually sort out problems for you. Despite the initial problem of the notification of hotel closure not being passed down the line I hope they rebooked you in to an equivalent hotel?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:56 am

Would anyone happen to know that if you book a multi-city trip via Expedia with multiple OW carriers, do you receive all the Avios and TPs after the whole itinerary has been flown?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Assuming that it's not a tour operator fare that is non-earning (very rare but not impossible) you would earn avios and TPs based on each of the individual legs, and not at the end of the itinerary.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by DXB2745
Would anyone happen to know that if you book a multi-city trip via Expedia with multiple OW carriers, do you receive all the Avios and TPs after the whole itinerary has been flown?
I booked I fares on Expedia.com (US) on AA-operated flights with BA codeshare numbers a few times. The tickets were issued on 125 stock and the charge on my credit card was from BA, not Expedia, so I even got the BA Chase Visa 3x Avios for the purchase. All the TPs and Avios were credited to my BAEC account without a hitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.