Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
No, as agreement still has to be made with all the other involved parties.
OK sounds like it will take a few more weeks yet then. Hope they don't lose too much business in the meantime.
Speedbirdsouth likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
I had flights to BIO for next week, which got cancelled. I didn’t rebook and kept them open. Now the final rebooking date is approaching and BA have no flights to sale to BIO for S22….frustrating!
We're booked from Heathrow to Bilbao in January, after they cancelled our Genoa flights from Gatwick. Just hoping they don't move them back to Gatwick now(!)
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by kath2049
We're booked from Heathrow to Bilbao in January, after they cancelled our Genoa flights from Gatwick. Just hoping they don't move them back to Gatwick now(!)
if LGW SH happens, earliest will be late March, probably later, not this winter.
kath2049 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:32 am

Q: The wiki mentions that the ALC flights have been moved to LHR. I have a booking for May 22 that still displays as LGW. Anyone else seeing a change or haven’t they gone over yet?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:37 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Originally Posted by PZE
Is there any information about Turin flights moving to Heathrow? From the wiki it looks like they will be/have but I can’t see any for S22 on either Matrix or BA low flight finder.

(asking for a Eurovision enthusiast…)
10-14 May showing as afternoons from LGW. May be a good idea to check before booking whether there are any hotel rooms left that don't require a bank loan.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
Q: The wiki mentions that the ALC flights have been moved to LHR. I have a booking for May 22 that still displays as LGW. Anyone else seeing a change or haven’t they gone over yet?
The wiki could be a little clearer. Only the destinations that show a designated terminal have actually been moved to LHR. Those with no terminal assigned are currently in limbo and may stay that way for a little while yet.

I have an ALC-LGW flight at the end of July and EF has shown it zeroed out for the last few weeks, but the flight hasn’t been officially cancelled yet and the flight had to yet been moved to LHR. I’m guessing that BA are in a wait and see mode since BALPA finally signed up for the new SH subsidiary as BA need the other interested parties to also go along with the proposal. If new SH goes ahead, then I expect my flight to operate via LGW.

Meanwhile, holiday makers with no current plans will be booking on other airlines as no BA flights are showing as available for sale.
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I see Verona shows as being at LHR but nothing in the timetable past March. If you have FTV vouchers from previous bookings are these likely to be valid against the new "BA Express" subsidiary or ringfenced against only BA do we think? Also why are the routes in the wiki not showing any legs, are these likely to be ones swapped into the low cost carrier instead?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Woby_Tide
I see Verona shows as being at LHR but nothing in the timetable past March. If you have FTV vouchers from previous bookings are these likely to be valid against the new "BA Express" subsidiary or ringfenced against only BA do we think? Also why are the routes in the wiki not showing any legs, are these likely to be ones swapped into the low cost carrier instead?
FTVs are usable for anything you can book on ba.com, so it would be a big surprise if booking on LGW BA wasn't possible.
Woby_Tide likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
FYI: BA are now advertising for a Head of Finance for the new LGW subsidiary.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
FYI: BA are now advertising for a Head of Finance for the new LGW subsidiary.
Are you able to say where it is being advertised? Or is it an internal process?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Are you able to say where it is being advertised? Or is it an internal process?
See here https://careers.ba.com/job/gatwick/h...48/16332166656
vectismanpaul likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:34 pm

I would imagine that Gatwick Ground Services (wholly owned BA subsidiary) will be recruiting more staff soon to cover the expanded BA operation in 2022.

Does anyone know if Gatwick Ground Services are also handling all the other IAG airlines at Gatwick now? There were a lot
of redundancies in 2020 and minimal staff at the moment. More will be needed soon as the long haul
operation will be expanding in next few weeks. Increased staffing will also be required if the Short haul operation goes ahead next Summer.

Cancun restarts daily from October 22nd and Tampa 4 weekly in November. Doha (Daily) is due to follow in December and Islamabad (Daily) and Manchester in January. There may even be some
Winter Gatwick-Orlando services if demand warrants.(Some are now in the booking engine). Bookings to Caribbean and Mauritius are strong. The latter up to 4/5 times weekly recently.
Further edit Gatwick to Bridgetown also resumes in November (in addition to Heathrow) up to 5 weekly.

Be interesting to see how the short haul operation is shaping up for Summer 2022. Hopefully some announcements in November.

Originally Posted by S_W_S
Many thanks for the link.

I have managed with some help to answer my own question ! Gatwick Ground Services are handling the flights of all IAG companies at Gatwick now.
paulaf and Speedbirdsouth like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 17, 2021 at 6:28 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
I have managed with some help to answer my own question ! Gatwick Ground Services are handling the flights of all IAG companies at Gatwick now.
by all accounts BA is struggling to recruit staff (back) for Heathrow. many have found other jobs with employers who are perhaps better than BA with less onerous shifts, etc.
if Heathrow is deep in trouble then that explains the desperation to find a safety valve at Gatwick. There again I wonder how many they’ll find with salaries rising elsewhere.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by DFB_london
by all accounts BA is struggling to recruit staff (back) for Heathrow. many have found other jobs with employers who are perhaps better than BA with less onerous shifts, etc.
if Heathrow is deep in trouble then that explains the desperation to find a safety valve at Gatwick. There again I wonder how many they’ll find with salaries rising elsewhere.
I imagine it will be easier at LGW. Local news here keeps going on about unemployment in the Crawley area particularly in aviation and supporting businesses.
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
Originally Posted by Akoz
I imagine it will be easier at LGW. Local news here keeps going on about unemployment in the Crawley area particularly in aviation and supporting businesses.
Agreed. I often watch BBC South Today just to see what's going on the other side of Croydon Aerodrome and although they do report often about the economic problems related to lower passenger numbers at LGW, the angle they usually take is that of associated businesses who provide a service at the airport or airport staff, rather than anything airline specific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.