Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I would agree, but the last time BA tried to leave LGW they allowed easyJet to grow massively in the London market and across their European network. I'm not sure that IAG would want to repeat that mistake twice. Would they want easyJet to get even stronger or allow Wizz to get a foot in the door?

The messaging from BA has been seemingly contradictory on the profitability at LGW. BA maintained that short haul at LGW had been transformed, but during this dispute BA claimed to have made losses over "many years". In retrospect, words like "recent" are conspicuous by their absence.It is entirely possible that the relative performance of routes at LHR is better than at LGW. With the reduction in frequencies of high-frequency LHR 'core' routes that BA now find "bucket and spade" routes more attractive than before. The large Club cabins certainly point to a strong demand...
Two things, easyJet was in teenage growth mode back then, they're a mature (somewhat struggling) business today. Growth in any vaccuum may be more Wizz than easy. And the large Club Cabins tend to be more redemption focussed than paid for than their LHR counterparts.
If BA really think a slightly inferior flight deck contract is all they need to turn round years of losses then good luck to them, but who honestly thinks this thread won't be having the same convo in 2-3 years. Again.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Kos, Thessaloniki and Paphos just been moved up to LHR. I really don’t know whether they’re coming or going.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
MLA looks to be being moved slowly, 2 times a week up until mid May right now.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by S_W_S
MLA looks to be being moved slowly, 2 times a week up until mid May right now.
It seems MLA is 5x weekly in Apr/May, then 1x in June and then nothing…
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:15 pm

Lanzarote now winter seasonal (Oct-May).
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
It seems MLA is 5x weekly in Apr/May, then 1x in June and then nothing…
This doesn’t make sense at all. It is just a way of saying to the crews « we mean it when we say we are closing LGW SH ». If the proposal is accepted, I think we will see MLA go back to LGW.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:30 pm

It’s silly though, because now that flights have moved to LHR, people will have changed plans (hotels/parking). If they move routes back to Gatwick people will get annoyed.

You could also get people now booking MLA or PFO with connections through LHR, if they change back to Gatwick, I’m sure people will be impressed.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:15 pm

It here is a number of routes only on sale to late May. Could this be because BA are now planning to push back the date of restarting shorthaul at LGW until 1st June?.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
It’s silly though, because now that flights have moved to LHR, people will have changed plans (hotels/parking). If they move routes back to Gatwick people will get annoyed.

You could also get people now booking MLA or PFO with connections through LHR, if they change back to Gatwick, I’m sure people will be impressed.
Unless the working plan is;
1. Move enough flights to LHR to save slots. (Done...... Sort of).
2. Cancel and consolidate other flights to fill LHR planes. (Done...... Sort of).
3. Sort out pilots at LGW.
4. Use LGW slots to add new flights / extra capacity to meet demand on routes as and where this is seen to be required.
paulaf likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Scotflyer80
It here is a number of routes only on sale to late May. Could this be because BA are now planning to push back the date of restarting shorthaul at LGW until 1st June?.
I did think that, especially with late May being the big take-off period for the summer season.
paulaf and Scotflyer80 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
I'm sitting on cancellation notices for next August atm for Seville. Any advice would be welcome - do I sit it out for a bit longer or shift to Gibraltar before they become stupidly expensive. Gib flights on the same day are already £80 more than I have paid for three to Seville.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jammers20
I'm sitting on cancellation notices for next August atm for Seville. Any advice would be welcome - do I sit it out for a bit longer or shift to Gibraltar before they become stupidly expensive. Gib flights on the same day are already £80 more than I have paid for three to Seville.
You would get a free change anywhere within 300 miles so just sit on them and if the flights don’t appear then nearer the time rebook to GIB.
Jammers20 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:46 pm

I did think that, especially with late May being the big take-off period for the summer season.
good point, also buys BA. Another 7/8 weeks to get the LGW operation ready to go as such
paulaf likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
You would get a free change anywhere within 300 miles so just sit on them and if the flights don’t appear then nearer the time rebook to GIB.
Ah I didn't realise that, thanks very much.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Does anyone know when the result of the latest BALPA ballot is due? I was hearing today or tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.