Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
With further reductions in the number of red list countries being considered the pressure on BA slots at Heathrow could become greater. Scheduling for some routes could get very messy.
In my opinion at times like this maintaining market share on which to build in the future is very important. Mess customers
about too much and they may well be gone for ever. Especially if they try other carriers and find them just as good.
paulaf and LancashireFlyer like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Hopefully this is not true for all the currently missing Summer 2022 destinations. Would seem ridiculous to cancel them with 80 slot pairs spare at Gatwick!
Yep ridiculous when you see other EU airlines expanding next summer and even this winter to destinations they have never served before.
paulaf likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:14 am

It demonstrates that expensive Heathrow slots can sometimes be a burden!
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Just looking at the Apr/May schedule for Seville and it seems they are indeed the slots used for routes like Heraklion. This means aircraft will be on the ground in Seville for up to 3 hrs 40 m!

As happy as I am to have all these routes at LHR, clearly there already isn’t the room and it isn’t going to work long term. I envisage BA back at Gatwick for short haul by S23.

I mean we’ve already seen Innsbruck, Marrakesh and Seville become winter seasonal and Alicante, Dubrovnik, Pisa become summer seasonal.
SZG is now winter only, was year round at LGW

Has GOA, ALC, PFO moved to LHR? Can’t find anything next July
SxMan and jonr405 like this.

Last edited by Speedbirdsouth; Oct 3, 2021 at 2:01 am
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:30 am

Surely Paphos must make an appearance at Heathrow. it is a very popular summer route with large CE cabins.
Maybe not as easy as they thought to consolidate short haul at Heathrow !
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Speedbirdsouth

Has GOA, ALC, PFO moved to LHR? Can’t find anything next July
No, if you look at the wiki you can see what routes have been moved across (ones with the terminal assignment).

These routes have not been ‘cut’ though as they are still showing on the timetable with Gatwick departures, so I feel they will get moved across next week.
paulaf and Speedbirdsouth like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:36 am

Surely Paphos must make an appearance at Heathrow. it is a very popular summer route with large CE cabins.
Maybe not as easy as they thought to consolidate short haul at Heathrow !
Agree would be madness not to, my flight home last night from Paphos was full and Club was 14 rows.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
With further reductions in the number of red list countries being considered the pressure on BA slots at Heathrow could become greater. Scheduling for some routes could get very messy.
In my opinion at times like this maintaining market share on which to build in the future is very important. Mess customers
about too much and they may well be gone for ever. Especially if they try other carriers and find them just as good.
Don't get blinded by market share. It's all about dominating markets BA can get good returns in. Chasing market share is often a disastrous route, look at Ryanair. They used to fly UK domestics rammed full, great load factors, BUT the yield wasn't cutting the mustard so the aircraft was moved elsewhere, no sentiment, no worry about market share. They even blamed APD but the it was a comparable weakness in onboard sales that killed the strategy. Aircraft are finite and will be used where they bring in the best value they can.
Market share is often a misleading KPI and any good CEO and Finance team are well aware.
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:25 am

I think BA’s management team need to wake up and see that the days of oversold club cabins flying to and from JFK 7-8 times a day are over for good.
Virgin have adapted far faster than BA in their restructure and given the benefit of not having a short haul airline to maintain they’ve faired reasonably well compared to the alternative mooted at the time, effectively becoming a cargo airline last winter and now operating to new markets.

We need a major shift in direction as a company. Sadly too many still falsely believe they’ll be bidding to avoid too many JFKs on their monthly roster. We need far more of a focus on the leisure and VFR market and a focus on routes that will deliver is needed ahead of past sentiments with regards to structure. We simply won’t need to fly that many times a day to Frankfurt, Brussels or Geneva anymore, the industry and markets we served have been forced through a decade of market change in 18 months. Other airlines are realising this ahead of BA and on its own turf too.
I just don’t see a need for an 80 plus seat club cabin anymore going forward……unless of course you are an retired expat on the PFO route!
Cap'n Benj likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:40 am

I can assure you I am not a retired expat. Although I wouldn't mind being one! I am in my 40th year of U.K. employment and always pay for my own flights in whatever cabin I travel.

Last edited by vectismanpaul; Oct 3, 2021 at 7:35 am
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
No, if you look at the wiki you can see what routes have been moved across (ones with the terminal assignment).
These routes have not been ‘cut’ though as they are still showing on the timetable with Gatwick departures, so I feel they will get moved across next week.
Turin is on sale to/from LHR on BA.com starting 31/10, but on the wiki there is no terminal assignment for it.
Does it mean it's still a "phantom" service?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lefly
Turin is on sale to/from LHR on BA.com starting 31/10, but on the wiki there is no terminal assignment for it.
Does it mean it's still a "phantom" service?
The wiki is for S22, but Turin is indeed on sale for W21.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
The wiki is for S22, but Turin is indeed on sale for W21.
My mistake, sorry
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
[QUOTE=Speedbirdsouth;33614986]SZG is now winter only, was year round at LGW

That’s a real shame – looks like it’ll have to be MUC and a train from now on then. I used to have to do this when Gatwick went down to weekends only sometimes during the summer.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:41 am

[QUOTE=SxMan;33615562]
Originally Posted by Speedbirdsouth

That’s a real shame – looks like it’ll have to be MUC and a train from now on then. I used to have to do this when Gatwick went down to weekends only sometimes during the summer.
yes it is a shame, hopefully BA will add summer SZG soon,
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.