Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:47 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by paulaf
So will all flights booked for Gatwick next year be cancelled or moved to Heathrow?
Far too soon to know.

I wouldn’t put money on all LGW flights cancelled.
paulaf and vectismanpaul like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Didn’t BALPA prove pretty weak during the last negotiations in 2019(??)? After threatening all sorts of action, they eventually just settled for more or less what BA had offered in the first place.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
IAG have the Iberia Express option.
They open a new carrier on a separate AOC, British Airways (Gatwick) Ltd and open recruitment, there's a pool of desperate pilots currently working delivering Amazon packages who would bite your hand off for the current package less x%. They brand the operation as BA and staff it with new hires on lower terms, if BALPA object, IAG can say not one more hire will be made at BA Mainline and all future hires will be via the new entity, which will also be flying from LHR in the future. All BALPA can actually do is strike. Iberia caved to this and their terms were slashed AND Iberia Express remains just in case.

Management can be bar stewards in the interests of those shareholders....
delores likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:25 pm

Some comments this evening from Gallego in his first U.K. interview since taking over at IAG:

“The thing is, in Gatwick for the last ten years, except 2016, we were losing money. And now we are going to have an even tougher environment, so we need to have an efficient vehicle there. What we want is to provide the same standard [of service] and the same BA experience but on a more efficient platform.”

Sources say that Walsh wanted to kill Gatwick but Gallego listened to a pitch from the management team to keep it open and retain BA’s strong London market presence. Union officials who have dealt with him both at Iberia and BA say this was typical, and a big change in tone at IAG from Walsh, a former pilot who would typically shoot more from the hip.

The problem, Gallego says, is that Gatwick is a seasonal airport, reliant on summer holiday traffic. To make it viable he has to get pilots and staff on flexible, cheaper working arrangements.

Full article available here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...lego-mnz6szjtm
skipness1E likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
IAG have the Iberia Express option.
They open a new carrier on a separate AOC, British Airways (Gatwick) Ltd and open recruitment, there's a pool of desperate pilots currently working delivering Amazon packages who would bite your hand off for the current package less x%.
There’s always that option but it’s very costly and time consuming. There may be a pool of out of work pilots right now but there’s actually not that many rated on type and it’s not only the trainees you have to find a load of trainers to train them as well. Time is against them. It’s part of the reason BA came to Balpa with this in the first place (along with Scope). To get this up and running by end of March will require an awful lot of cooperation from Balpa. Throw into the mix the fact that easyJet are forecasting a big shortage of Captains for Summer 22 because nobody wants to return to their previous full time contracts (they all took community part time to save jobs) and suddenly NewCo and the pitiful terms and conditions on offer there suddenly becomes a lot harder to crew. It’s not quite as simple as new AOC job done; time and the course of events in market conditions are actually turning against BA.
PGberkshire likes this.

Last edited by JerseyPilot; Sep 19, 2021 at 6:51 am
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
Sky News reporting the deal is off, couldn't agree terms with BALPA.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Executive Club; easyJet Plus
With the termination of BA’s Gatwick subsidiary plans because the Unions could not reach an agreement I hope that this has not signed the final death warrant of BA’s short haul operations from LGW.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:44 am

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...alks-collapse/

“With regret, we will now suspend our short-haul operations at Gatwick, with the exception of a small number of domestic services connecting to our long-haul operation, and will pursue alternative uses for the London Gatwick short-haul slots.”
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jamesbatraveller
With the termination of BA’s Gatwick subsidiary plans because the Unions could not reach an agreement I hope that this has not signed the final death warrant of BA’s short haul operations from LGW.
and a precursor to a further round of redundancies considering there won't be any LGW short haul this winter and furlough is now ending?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
They can mobilise a new pilot workforce in 6 months at Gatwick, even with Trainers. Monarch, TCX, EZY and ex BA Nigels will all apply and recruitment would be heavily over subscribed. SEP done in Madrid and or Dublin if need be.
Surely its a harder way of doing things but it is doable if there is a long term business case for Gatwick.
Redundancy Consultations will no doubt start immediately though in the meantime which is a shame.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:26 am
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Originally Posted by krispy84
Far too soon to know.

I wouldn’t put money on all LGW flights cancelled.
I can't comment on all, but right now it looks like Italian routes operated out of LGW have been pulled for S22 - nothing to CAG, CTA, BRI in May/June as far as I can see, either through BA.com or Matrix/Google flights. Destinations have disappeared from sale completely rather than being sold from LHR.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
Originally Posted by PZE
I can't comment on all, but right now it looks like Italian routes operated out of LGW have been pulled for S22 - nothing to CAG, CTA, BRI in May/June as far as I can see, either through BA.com or Matrix/Google flights. Destinations have disappeared from sale completely rather than being sold from LHR.
Looks like all short-haul from Gatwick. Tenerife and Spanish routes missing too.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by PZE
They’re not all gonna fit into LHR slots, esp once things are full back up and running.

EZY will no doubt pick up the slack, prices however will no doubt see a bump with competition gone
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by PZE
All BA LGW routes for winter and summer apart from MAN and GLA have been removed from sale. BA looking to sell their slots allegedly. Not sure if this is tactics to help BALPA decide or BA just walking away.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:58 am

The fact all LGW SH isn’t for sale anymore for summer 22, this seems final, no way back from this. To remove the entire LGW SH operation from sale wouldn’t, in my view be a tactic of negotiation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.