Wiki Posts
Search

Buy during a sale and then change dates

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: Silver,
Buy during a sale and then change dates

Sorry if this has been done to death, but I am pondering... I would like to make use of sale prices, but intend to fly a month or so AFTER the magic '365' days' hence. I am looking at some attractively priced CW tickets (booking cat I) to California (either LAX or SFO, doesn't bother me. If I buy these tickets now, at the sale price, and shift them to the right, when I am within the 365 day window, is there LIKELY to be anything additional to pay? Or... if it is a 'like for like' destination and class, swap? The 'big print' says that the tickets can be changed (at no extra cost) and I can't see any 'small print' saying, "Oh, but if it's a sale ticket you will need to stump up the extra ££££..."
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you choose to change, the amendment fee is waived, but you are liable for fare increase (or decrease!)

If the airline cancel - you can take a full refund or shunt onwards to your chosen dates with no payment change. From the BA website (my bolding):

Flexible booking | Information | British Airways

Want to change your booking?

If you would like to change your booking you can choose from one of the following options. If you booked via a travel agent, please contact them directly to discuss further arrangements for your booking.

If you want to change the dates of your booking

For bookings made from 3 March 2020 onwards for journeys that are due to have been completed by 31 August 2022, and for bookings made prior to 3 March 2020 for journeys due to have started by 28 February 2021, go to Manage My Booking to change your dates.

We’ve waived our change booking fee so you will not be charged, although you will need to pay any difference in fare. This is applicable to:
  • bookings made from 3 March 2020 onwards for travel to be completed by 31 August 2022
  • booked on any British Airways marketed routes, excluding franchise airline Sun-Air routes
  • booked direct via our contact centres, ba.com or trade outlets
I don't think it's too hidden !

Good thread here for this matter Book with confidence policy - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Many of us book tickets to where we want to go even when we either for dates we don't really want or for when we do not yet believe travels will have returned to normal. Through monitoring recent behaviour, we know (or think we do) which flights on which routes will be cancelled first. This would then allow a free reschedule without having to pay any revised fare. Worst case, you cancel to a voucher and still don't lose any money. BA have released so many wonderful fares recently, that I am sure they know this is going on and are happy for the cashflow.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the pointer. I am still sucking my teeth over it. What I did see was that I can get a full refund if cancelled, so all is not lost! The real downside is that I have a pile of Avios and a couple of companion vouchers, to boot, but the availability evaporates as soon as they open up, and (please correct me if I'm wrong) the 365 day barrier exists for the RETURN flight (by which time all the outbound will certainly have gone...
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
There's an excellent thread here to answer all those questions:
BA American Express companion voucher | master thread

You can book the outbound when that is available and book the inbound at +355 days as it becomes available.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, so for cash fares there is no point booking for dates you don't want and looking to change to dates you do want later. You will end up paying the same as if you just booked for the sates you did want in the first place.

For rewards you can book at midnight when seats get released at 355 days, and the details of this are in the thread Tafflyer kindly linked to.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onaswan
Many thanks for the pointer. I am still sucking my teeth over it. What I did see was that I can get a full refund if cancelled, so all is not lost! The real downside is that I have a pile of Avios and a couple of companion vouchers, to boot, but the availability evaporates as soon as they open up, and (please correct me if I'm wrong) the 365 day barrier exists for the RETURN flight (by which time all the outbound will certainly have gone...
This is where you need to smarten your thinking....

How about booking the flights you want, but on a route likely to get canned imminently (so not LAX or SFO) more like SAN or LAS

Then WHEN the flight gets cancelled - you can move it to anytime within 365 days from departure without requiring reward availability.

So play the game, book something for Sept / Oct... then shunt onwards when cancelled. Medium to low risk, and only exposure is a £35 cancellation fee if it doesn't work out
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly

How about booking the flights you want, but on a route likely to get canned imminently (so not LAX or SFO) more like SAN or LAS

Then WHEN the flight gets cancelled - you can move it to anytime within 365 days from departure without requiring reward availability.

So play the game, book something for Sept / Oct... then shunt onwards when cancelled. Medium to low risk, and only exposure is a £35 cancellation fee if it doesn't work out
Much more eloquently described than I could. Thanks.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Much more eloquently described than I could. Thanks.
Why, thank you
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:49 am
Original Poster

When you say "Sept / Oct", I presume that you mean This year (2021)? and the expert them to get 'canned' in a month's time... Sounds like a very clever plan... Many thanks
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onaswan
When you say "Sept / Oct", I presume that you mean This year (2021)? and the expert them to get 'canned' in a month's time... Sounds like a very clever plan... Many thanks
Yes, exactly this - most long hauls that are being cancelled are on a rolling circa five week cancellation period... so currently up to 13/09/2021 in the case of LAS / TPA / SAN
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If they cancel the flights, would this then allow you to reschedule the length of the rebooked holiday? Say you booked 7 days, but then want to change it to 5, for example? All for the same price?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
If they cancel the flights, would this then allow you to reschedule the length of the rebooked holiday? Say you booked 7 days, but then want to change it to 5, for example? All for the same price?
Yes, you get carte blanche choosing of new dates as long as there's space in the cabin - not reward space - any space
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:08 am

Yes, you get carte blanche choosing of new dates as long as there's space in the cabin - not reward space - any space
Do you get tier points and Avios on any rebooked reward flight, if they have to use revenue inventory?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why would you book this far out? There is bound to be other great BA sales later on (within 365 days of your preferred travel dates).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.