Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico moving from Amber to Red List

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 12:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Mexico official stats have never been remotely accurate. A positivity rate of just over 40% (2nd highest in the world) should immediately demonstrate that the official figures misrepresent the situation by a massive margin. Like others I am just surprised it has taken so long for this downgrade.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Mexico official stats have never been remotely accurate. A positivity rate of just over 40% (2nd highest in the world) should immediately demonstrate that the official figures misrepresent the situation by a massive margin. Like others I am just surprised it has taken so long for this downgrade.
In fairness, the UK reached a positive rate of over 40% during the first wave. It's not unreasonable to largely restrict PCR testing to cases where the result is needed for a clinical decision. The statistics don't necessarily misrepresent the situation - the statistics just can't be directly compared to the UK statistics, because they arise in a different clinical context and they measure different things.

In July, an average of 3 Mexico arrivals per day have tested positive for Covid. Given we have 30k reported domestic cases, it is really, really hard to see how 3 cases in home quarantine pose a threat.

Source --> https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s-15-july-2021
Aldoman likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:44 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by dorothydun
Do I need to get vaccinated to get to Mexico City?
No - Mexico does not have any COVID-related requirements. No vaccine, PCR test etc. In CUN (not sure about MEX) nobody is even checking https://www.vuelaseguro.com forms.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
No - Mexico does not have any COVID-related requirements. No vaccine, PCR test etc. In CUN (not sure about MEX) nobody is even checking https://www.vuelaseguro.com forms.
Might not be required but might be prudent to be vaccinated.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Lots of canadians have had mixed vaccines (i.e. one of one sort and one of another) to try and speed up the roll out. This is complicating things as many countries require two doses of the same vaccine.
Let's be honest it has nothing to with vaccines. For some reason, the UK really doesn't want to put Canada on its green list. Even last summer there were periods of time were Canada was at a case load below any country in Europe and it never made it onto the green list. I've just come to the conclusion that if I had to go to the UK for something important, I just wouldn't quarantine, I'm fully vaccinated with Moderna vaccines from the same factory the UK has used in Wales and Scotland and they can fine me all they want (they can issue me one for every day if they like), but good luck ever getting the money (pretty difficult to collect from someone who doesn't live in the country).
Aldoman, skiaplg, JTXC and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Let's be honest it has nothing to with vaccines. For some reason, the UK really doesn't want to put Canada on its green list. Even last summer there were periods of time were Canada was at a case load below any country in Europe and it never made it onto the green list. I've just come to the conclusion that if I had to go to the UK for something important, I just wouldn't quarantine, I'm fully vaccinated with Moderna vaccines from the same factory the UK has used in Wales and Scotland and they can fine me all they want (they can issue me one for every day if they like), but good luck ever getting the money (pretty difficult to collect from someone who doesn't live in the country).
More to the point it's ridiculous that they are waiving the quarantine requirement for people vaccinated in the USA but not Canada?! It's totally arbitrary at this point.
Aldoman, skiaplg, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:59 pm

Edit already discussed.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Also why it's a totally nonsense UK government move:
I agree to a point - but the government doesnt seem to be comparing Red/Amber/Green against the U.K. situation. They are, supposedly, using a series of entirely robust and consistently applied risk assessments to categorise countries. Some of these risks are political, no doubt. Ireland has never been under any travel restriction while France has been on and off a few lists for very short periods of time. Often around holiday time

Clearly an opaque situation is preferred right now. Leading to anomalies like Canada, Pakistan and so forth. It really doesnt help when ministers shout to every news channel, travel blog and paper that people can holiday without looking over their shoulder. Thats untrue, irresponsible and only applied to vaccinated adults.

We know the news on Saturday morning will be full of woe about holidays in Mexico ruined . such is travel in a pandemic. Disruption and uncertainty are part of the deal and should
be expected. What do people expect?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
Changing Mexico from Amber to Red wasn't a surprise, the numbers were a bit on the bad side, but doing it with only 3 days' advance notice (all while jacking up the price of hotel segregation) is pretty low. It's not exactly Spain or France. Shapps is not making himself a lot of friends in the scheduling team of any UK airlines, let's put it that way. And it doesn't help that a fair number of crews that have been un-furloughed to help operating flights this weekend have also been "pinged" by the ever helpful NHS app too...
Agreed pretty shameful and it didn't work like that for India when Johnson's fantasy global Britain jaunt meant the border stayed open while our screens were filled with hospital chaos and funeral pyres. It was then announced on the 19th April and border closed from 4 am on the 23rd.

I am mystified as to how 10 days in the Aerial could possible costs almost 4000 for a couple when test are added.

It is also notable that Government ministers can fly the globe with utter impunity with Sharma having done more that 30 overseas trips in 7 months, many to red list countries.

It must surely be cheaper for people to stay put in Mexico for 14 days and then return via the USA. I'd rather do 10 days in a cheap hotel with a pool
zanderblue and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Version 1 of our summer holidays (incidentally this should have been week 2 of 2) was Mexico. But when we were looking at the countries COVID stats earlier in the year, and reading forum reviews from the Riviera Maya, it was clear that the Mexican authorities were under reporting cases. We were sure that Mexico would be popped into the red category when the UK government was going to reopen international travel. It stayed Amber, but we were worried.

So taking advantage of the BA BWC, we changed destination to the Dominican Republic - Amber at the time. We had a go/no go decision of the end of July to cancel it for a voucher. We opted to do this, and rebook for Turks and Caicos for May 22. Then a week later the DR turned onto the red list! Reasons behind this was it would cost us over 800 on tests for a family of 4, and my wife just wasn't comfortable with all the challenges this brought.

I have sympathy to those in Mexico looking at paying extra to leave before the deadline, or looking at 14 days state quarantine, but I'm thankful we were looking at the 'what if' scenario. It was a risk too much for us to take!
The_Editor likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Additional services ca be found in this PDF (sorry not easy to quote from as it is a table):

https://www.britishairways.com/asset...e-05.08.21.pdf

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
If you're already there they'll rebook you waiving additional cost to get you back early. I'd assume that MEX and CUN are both good for that. Not long though: today and tomorrow only to arrive back in time before 8th threshold.
This is now policy, including for green to amber moves: https://www.britishairways.com/asset...ce-gds-faq.pdf

For UK departing customers travelling between 1 July and 30 September to a country which is added to the Amber or Red list while they are at their destination, we will waive any fare difference so they can rebook the return journey to an earlier date, if necessary, at no additional cost, subject to availability.
Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin.
Please note that any fare difference is still applicable when changing destination.
Maybe this latter policy should be flagged up in one of the main threads/wikis?

Good luck to anyone in Mexico trying to get back.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I was hoping that BA would add more flights to Germany. Doing YYZ-LHR-BER in two weeks, with an eight-hour layover. Ugh.
mustafina likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TPJ
No, no entry requriements other than the locator form.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Whilst I agree theres a lot of nonsense figures / decisions being made, I cant imagine the stats coming out of Mexico are anywhere near reality mmxbreaks
The figures here are nonsense. Do not trust any official channels. They have already shown that the gov is manipulating public records to ensure the real extent (probably 800k plus deaths) is being hidden.
HIDDY and mikeyfly like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:20 pm

BA have reduced the remaining seats on the last flight to US$360 now they've accommodated all their customers who wanted/needed to get back early

https://mol.im/a/9869539

Excellent effort by BA at a considerable cost to position in 4x widebodies and get everyone back in time
Fritz, justin_krusty, gcuk and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.