Search

Alternatives to Seatspy...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Alternatives to Seatspy...

Hello,

I really value Seatspy's functionality with making searching for Avios reward bookings so clear...

However its become a paid site after years of free searches...anybody know of a free alternative...??

Chris
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Rewardflightfinder

Which is fairly pants. Just regular checks on BA.com is the only fail safe way

Was a bit of discussion here yesterday if you want a nose Rewardflightfinder shows available when it isnt
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There isn’t one because of how BA works. Unlike most airlines reward seats do not have a dedicated GDS bucket so most systems cannot see it.

Reward Flight Finder is similar but updates a lot less often (daily vs hourly in my observations). If you are looking for super peak dates then you need SeatSpy (eg half term seats). If your needs are vaguer, eg Barbados on any dates in Oct or Nov, then RFF may do.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Hello,

I really value Seatspy's functionality with making searching for Avios reward bookings so clear...

However its become a paid site after years of free searches...anybody know of a free alternative...??

Chris
Yes... Ba.com

I don't begrudge anybody for developing a useful product / service and then charging a reasonable amount for it. Hosting a popular website isn't cheap, not to mention the serious number of hours needed to develop and improve the site. If Seatspy or similar were actually offering it for free, then you can be quite sure that you are the product rather than the customer...
Old Jul 31, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello,

Chris
If you value the service why not subscribe?
LBP2, GentleGiant and babyg_wc like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:14 am

Hello,

Chris
Years? It started around February 2020, and specifically stated to be free initially while in beta.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...atspy-com.html

SeatSpy is where it's at. RFF is, to be honest, a poor second. However, if you would value/use other tools take a look at Expert Flyer, also subscription, but boat (or plane) loads of capability!

rb211.
argonath likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
I think it's good value at less than a coffee a month!
travellingjake and golfmad like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I still pay my £2.99 each month but I have to say I am finding it increasingly unreliable , showing availability when there is none . I emailed them querying this but never got a response .
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:16 am

Hello,

Chris
I use Reward Flight Finder. Bronze members are free & they check daily. Pay & they will check more frequently. I just bagged flights to Japan next year. I pay £2.99 per month & think that is excellent value.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I use BA's Executive Club Rewards app
Knodde and Mr Silver K like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by junji
I use Reward Flight Finder. Bronze members are free & they check daily. Pay & they will check more frequently. I just bagged flights to Japan next year. I pay £2.99 per month & think that is excellent value.
Two posts in 2 years and both supporting RFF in the face of criticism over data theft :-)
Old Aug 20, 2021, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Two posts in 2 years and both supporting RFF in the face of criticism over data theft :-)
Indeed :-))
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
The subscription price is very reasonable, while the main added value is that it is not only BA. If you are an occasional flyer on any of the other participating airlines, the convenient forward-view of all seats available across these airlines is the main reason for paying essentially a Starbucks latte a month...
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Anyone else seem to have found that changes to seatspy have effectively halved the number of alerts you can set up on the £2.99 plan? It says they've introduced functionality that allows you to input different dates for the return and outbound leg, but in essence this seems to make it that you are now creating 2 alerts for a return trip, so you can now only set up alerts for 2 return journeys rather than the 4 that were permitted until recently. Unless I'm doing something wrong? (It seems to not affect pre-existing alerts but as soon as you delete one and then try to add another it won't let you if it means you will now have more than 2 return journeys).
Old Apr 24, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
I signed up for RFF as Amex UK gave me 3 months money back for their gold plan. But, having learned that they stole data I unsubscribed and am looking into Sestspy now.

At least they’re not limited to BA. Would be nice if Qatar was available but overall looks like a good site. Expert flyer is more expensive and goofy if I may say so but could be a valued alternative.
Ryanfozzie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.