Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change of gateway policy amended

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
gcuk It does make me wonder why the policy change couldn’t have been worded better to avoid this situation. Using other changes to switch from non APD origins to somewhere with APD was a door I could see BA wanted to close. But your example does seem as you say collateral damage.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes I can see similar collateral damage for some of mine too. Over the last year my use of this has been changing say LHR-ABZ return to a EDI or NCL when flights are cancelled, so nothing too ambitious. But I assume the knock on effect is if only my outbound is cancelled I can only change that so end up with LHR-EDI/ABZ-LHR which is obviously of no use to anyone.
gcuk likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC
The new change of gateway policy is really tough.

I had flights to Bordeaux in January cancelled. Due to work commitments, I won’t be available to take holiday again till April onwards, by which time BA don’t fly to Bordeaux (due to the Gatwick issues).

So I requested to fly to a nearby gateway Toulouse, Lyon, Barcelona and was told only within 14 days of my old flight.

It seems unfair that if I was to rebook for Bordeaux I could travel up to the ticket validity, but because they don’t fly there next summer, I am stuck with rebooking up till March.

I know people will say I can claim a refund, but why should I. I want to travel to Bordeaux and got these flights cheap through the 20% off sale.

Another case of BA getting you to book, but not being able to fulfil the flights.

Oh and I can’t risk waiting for Bordeaux to go on sale from Gatwick as the clock is ticking…
Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BAeuro
The new change of gateway policy is really tough.

I had flights to Bordeaux in January cancelled. Due to work commitments, I won’t be available to take holiday again till April onwards, by which time BA don’t fly to Bordeaux (due to the Gatwick issues).

So I requested to fly to a nearby gateway Toulouse, Lyon, Barcelona and was told only within 14 days of my old flight.

It seems unfair that if I was to rebook for Bordeaux I could travel up to the ticket validity, but because they don’t fly there next summer, I am stuck with rebooking up till March.

I know people will say I can claim a refund, but why should I. I want to travel to Bordeaux and got these flights cheap through the 20% off sale.

Another case of BA getting you to book, but not being able to fulfil the flights.

Oh and I can’t risk waiting for Bordeaux to go on sale from Gatwick as the clock is ticking…

Has the gateway policy changed?

I believe the same destination could be changed within ticket validity but since covid, I think the gateway change has been limited to 14 days. Maybe wrong but looking at my amends, gateway changes have all been within 14 days.

The difficulty was the policy change that you could only change the gateway on the cancelled leg. Little practical benefit in changing one leg to arrive or leave up to 300km away from where the uncanceled leg started or ended.
Anonba likes this.

Last edited by gcuk; Nov 30, 2021 at 3:10 pm
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Have to make some changes to long-haul flights which have been cancelled. Wondering if I can make use of change of gateway - can anyone advise?
Have a return flight from LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB (all short connections) and the first sector LAX-JFK has been cancelled. BA has advised I can now change all flights up to 14 days, as long a maintain <24 hours connections. This makes sense, but I wonder if I can also use change of gateway to switch LHR-DUB to LHR-NCL or MAN?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by justin1123
Have to make some changes to long-haul flights which have been cancelled. Wondering if I can make use of change of gateway - can anyone advise?
Have a return flight from LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB (all short connections) and the first sector LAX-JFK has been cancelled. BA has advised I can now change all flights up to 14 days, as long a maintain <24 hours connections. This makes sense, but I wonder if I can also use change of gateway to switch LHR-DUB to LHR-NCL or MAN?
I had similar the other week and the agent on the phone was very flexible and let me amend all the legs similar to this. Find what you want, give them a call and they are generally receptive. He was keen to use BA code shares on all legs rather than the prime code - not sure if that makes the changes easier for them?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 2:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Generally change of gateway is only now strictly for the cancelled flight, and doesn't apply for unaffected flights in the booking. It was changed to this a few months ago. As noted you can try and see what they say, but you may well be told no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.