Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Experience flying BA to US with UK passport (spouse exemption)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Just boarded BA49 LHR- SEA. Check in agent at F Wing was very nice, but it still took about 20 minutes to get me cleared to fly - 5 mins for US Homeland Security, 15 to override the BA systems! Then when I got to the gate I was pulled aside again by the BA immigration officer for the flight who seemed to have no record of me being cleared and proceeded to ask random questions, such as whether I was travelling on a single booking with my husband. This is irrelevant to my exemption from the Presidential Declaration, which only requires me to be a spouse of a US citizen, and in any case had all been checked in triplicate at check in!

Seated in CW, 15 mins later I was pulled off because you missed the secondary security screening. What this meant was they failed
to stop me for SSS and tried putting the blame on me! Fortunately I knew what was going on but this could be pretty embarrassing for sone travellers as they are hauled off in front of everyone else. Meanwhile it completely defeats the purpose of the check as I could have returned with half my hand luggage and left stuff on board, had I been so minded.

Bottom line, not impressed! You would think this is the first time BA has dealt with this issue, but chatting with the (delightful) check in agent they get tons of spouses travelling at the moment, of course.

Oh well, now I have the delights of roasted cauliflower appetiser awaiting me (no choice now of course) followed by praying that they havent run out of the alternatives to fish pie main even though I am a GCH sitting in the second row of CW!

lol, it feels good to be complaining about BA again ;-)
u01sss3 likes this.

Last edited by aristoph; Jul 11, 2021 at 10:21 am
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:05 am

Might be in a similar situation in a few months (if the Ban is still in place). Would be interested to hear exactly what you needed to do to demonstrate exemption. Marriage certificate?

In terms of missing SSS, I would have actually suggested they evacuate the whole plane. As you point out you could have left anything on board, they had know knowledge of exactly what you brought on, and if they failed to search you (or inform you you had been flagged), and then let you on, they had compromised the whole sterility of the aircraft and defeated the object of such a search.
Either they are doing security or not. If they are happy to have you off without knowing what you brought on board, and then let you back on, and dispatch the aircraft, logic would dictate that they must have confidence in your security, ergo no reason to have you off for searching.....! But US security and logic are not exclusive, and this is why mistakes happen, and sometime worse.

Enjoy your flight. Hope for your sake and those of your fellow pax, no one else was let on with improper security checks...
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Originally Posted by GBOAC
But US security and logic are not exclusive, and this is why mistakes happen, and sometime worse.
I am not sure I would put the blame on the US security process - as OP and yourself have both pointed out, the requirement is actually for SSSS pax to be searched proper to boarding the aircraft. If a passenger must be taken off after, then either (a) all pax and their cabin bags must be disembarked and the a/c swept and sterilised before reboarding, or (b) after the particular pax is removed, all remaining cabin bags must be positively identified by remaining pax and any unclaimed bags identified. Both are logical and reasonable means of rectifying missed SSSS, and it is up to the body responsible for the searches to follow the correct process.

I suspect it is BAA that are at fault for failing to conduct the SSSS search properly, and then failing to correct their failure with an appropriate sterilisation process, resulting in this farcical security theatre that occurred in this instance.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Now we have just landed in GLA, diverted over Lewis due to a problem with the engine generator (??) Apparently this plane has just returned from service and that requires additional sign off for this error.

Starting to wish wed stayed at home!!
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph
Now we have just landed in GLA, diverted over Lewis due to a problem with the engine generator (??) Apparently this plane has just returned from service and that requires additional sign off for this error.

Starting to wish wed stayed at home!!
Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Hopefully your trials and tribulations (if there are any) will all be shared from now on, rather than personal.

rb211.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
SSSS is a dog and pony show to start with, I wonder how many terrorists it's stopped compared to normal security at Heathrow

I would write a strongly worded email to BA and there might be some Avios in it for you if they feel generous!
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by W213Sal
SSSS is a dog and pony show to start with, I wonder how many terrorists it's stopped compared to normal security at Heathrow

I would write a strongly worded email to BA and there might be some Avios in it for you if they feel generous!
Yep super dumb. A couple of years ago I was flying to Seattle, couldn't check in for my Alaska Airlines flight from Canada due to SSSS but had to change my flight to the morning, cancelled my flight with Alaska and rebooked with Delta and no more SSSS. Great system at stopping terrorists.
W213Sal likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by RB211
Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Hopefully your trials and tribulations (if there are any) will all be shared from now on, rather than personal.

rb211.
I would venture to suggest the failed generator and subsequent landing in GLA was shared and not personal.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
I would venture to suggest the failed generator and subsequent landing in GLA was shared and not personal.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say - that I hope it continues to be shared!

rb211.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes, we all shared the terrible catering on board as the crew had to abandon all the main courses because they had been cooked for too long (makes no sense to me - health & safety apparently) and we were served the choice of panini or sausage roll for our main course (and they just abandoned second service). 13 hours flying with just the below to eat. Oh and the entertainment didnt work until 2 hours after our second departure.

I have to say, the crew was pretty unimpressive as well, in particular the guy serving in our small
club cabin. He bordered on rude half the time, overly chummy the rest of the time. As a welcome back to BA this was definitely a miss!

Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by aristoph
Yes, we all shared the terrible catering on board as the crew had to abandon all the main courses because they had been cooked for too long (makes no sense to me - health & safety apparently) and we were served the choice of panini or sausage roll for our main course (and they just abandoned second service). 13 hours flying with just the below to eat. Oh and the entertainment didnt work until 2 hours after our second departure.

I have to say, the crew was pretty unimpressive as well, in particular the guy serving in our small
club cabin. He bordered on rude half the time, overly chummy the rest of the time. As a welcome back to BA this was definitely a miss!
Sounds like a poor flight and a bad experience for you, especially. I hope you can get some rest having made it to your destination on the correct day, at least. Tomorrow should be better!

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.