Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA refusing to honour change after cancellation (say that the change was 'accepted')

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA refusing to honour change after cancellation (say that the change was 'accepted')

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium

Dear All, I'm really hoping you can help... trying to help friends in need. Last year they booked MIA - LHR - BCN and return BCN - MIA for a trip next week.
In April they received an email saying that the BCN - MIA flight had a 95 min flight change. They actually spoke to me at the time, and I said not to do anything as hopefully the flight would eventually be cancelled completely and that would allow them to move the trip. Sadly since then they have had some really bad family news and can no longer travel. So I offered to call and do the move of dates for them as I noticed that the flights had now been cancelled (good news I thought!). Then it got really peculiar.

BA tell me that when they emailed on April 18th to advise of the change of timing of the BCN-MIA flight that they ALSO had cancelled the MIA - LHR and LHR - BCN flights on that day. Although they admit that it was not on the email that they sent (?). The email clearly states the only change is the BCN - MIA leg.
They then say that 'someone' went into the booking later that day and selected new flights for all three legs. I know that they didn't as they called me that day and I said to do nothing in the hope that the flights would later be cancelled.

BA say that as 'someone' confirmed the new flights, they cannot offer the covid change guarantee, and instead are forcing a voucher.

I feel so sad that they can do this.
- Surely BA had a duty to advise them that the MIA - LHR and LHR and BCN flights were cancelled? They confirm they didn't 'an 'IT' error.
- I do not believe that they 'rebooked onto the new flights' - as I said they asked me what to do and I said do nothing until nearer the time so we can see if the flight gets cancelled (at this point the flight was cancelled but BA hadn't told us)
- Even if they 'accidentally' accepted the change, the only change that were advised of (via the email) was the timing change of the BCN - MIA flight.
- They would certainly not have accepted a 'change of cabin'

Can anyone suggest any way to resolve this?
- They would like to move the flight as per their rights under the covid book with confidence, and as they should be entitled to. It would be a well-needed break in 6-12 months.
- They would rather not take a voucher as they bought it as a very good price (first class seats) and the price is now double. It's also restrictive for them as it's BA only and they live in USA.
- The 'compassionate' grounds also don't help as it just means they will still have to pay the extra.

They are dealing with a difficult medical situation and this is tough on top of it. Any help would be hugely appreciated. I've attached a screen shot of the email from April, as you can see only the BCN - LHR shows a change, and that's just a 95 min schedule change.

Thank you.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jh321
Dear All, I'm really hoping you can help... trying to help friends in need. Last year they booked MIA - LHR - BCN and return BCN - MIA for a trip next week.
In April they received an email saying that the BCN - MIA flight had a 95 min flight change. They actually spoke to me at the time, and I said not to do anything as hopefully the flight would eventually be cancelled completely and that would allow them to move the trip. Sadly since then they have had some really bad family news and can no longer travel. So I offered to call and do the move of dates for them as I noticed that the flights had now been cancelled (good news I thought!). Then it got really peculiar.

BA tell me that when they emailed on April 18th to advise of the change of timing of the BCN-MIA flight that they ALSO had cancelled the MIA - LHR and LHR - BCN flights on that day. Although they admit that it was not on the email that they sent (?). The email clearly states the only change is the BCN - MIA leg.
They then say that 'someone' went into the booking later that day and selected new flights for all three legs. I know that they didn't as they called me that day and I said to do nothing in the hope that the flights would later be cancelled.

BA say that as 'someone' confirmed the new flights, they cannot offer the covid change guarantee, and instead are forcing a voucher.

I feel so sad that they can do this.
- Surely BA had a duty to advise them that the MIA - LHR and LHR and BCN flights were cancelled? They confirm they didn't 'an 'IT' error.
- I do not believe that they 'rebooked onto the new flights' - as I said they asked me what to do and I said do nothing until nearer the time so we can see if the flight gets cancelled (at this point the flight was cancelled but BA hadn't told us)
- Even if they 'accidentally' accepted the change, the only change that were advised of (via the email) was the timing change of the BCN - MIA flight.
- They would certainly not have accepted a 'change of cabin'

Can anyone suggest any way to resolve this?
- They would like to move the flight as per their rights under the covid book with confidence, and as they should be entitled to. It would be a well-needed break in 6-12 months.
- They would rather not take a voucher as they bought it as a very good price (first class seats) and the price is now double. It's also restrictive for them as it's BA only and they live in USA.
- The 'compassionate' grounds also don't help as it just means they will still have to pay the extra.

They are dealing with a difficult medical situation and this is tough on top of it. Any help would be hugely appreciated. I've attached a screen shot of the email from April, as you can see only the BCN - LHR shows a change, and that's just a 95 min schedule change.

Thank you.
I may be wrong, but doesn't the screen grab above show that MIA- LHR flight is cancelled (in red), they just didn't offer an alternative in the email. The problem with someone choosing new flights is odd though, surely they need to say who the 'someone' was, if it was done via a phone call? Unless someone from your party also got the email and clicked accept to something online?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sb1982
I may be wrong, but doesn't the screen grab above show that MIA- LHR flight is cancelled (in red), they just didn't offer an alternative in the email. The problem with someone choosing new flights is odd though, surely they need to say who the 'someone' was, if it was done via a phone call? Unless someone from your party also got the email and clicked accept to something online?
I didn't know that (and I'm sure many wouldn't), I just took it to be that the 'change' that they were informing me about was the information in blue. (And I know that they didn't 'accept' the change too).

However, I have managed to find some sort of solution..... I asked them to find out when the LHR - BCN part was cancelled, and they have now confirmed it was only a couple of weeks ago... so they have honoured the request to change the flight. Which is great news.

Saying that they tell me that if a flight is cancelled then they can ONLY rebook with a year from the date of booking. I'm surprised with Covid that is possible. I'm off to try and find a thread about that now as it means we can only rebook between now and Oct, and they tell me if the flights are cancelled then we have to take a voucher (although I suspect that they should offer cash).

Thank you for reading!
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jh321
I didn't know that (and I'm sure many wouldn't), I just took it to be that the 'change' that they were informing me about was the information in blue. (And I know that they didn't 'accept' the change too).

However, I have managed to find some sort of solution..... I asked them to find out when the LHR - BCN part was cancelled, and they have now confirmed it was only a couple of weeks ago... so they have honoured the request to change the flight. Which is great news.

Saying that they tell me that if a flight is cancelled then they can ONLY rebook with a year from the date of booking. I'm surprised with Covid that is possible. I'm off to try and find a thread about that now as it means we can only rebook between now and Oct, and they tell me if the flights are cancelled then we have to take a voucher (although I suspect that they should offer cash).

Thank you for reading!
Looks like the agent you've spoken initially has been making up rules - subsequent cancellation gives an option to refund or reschedule. In some cases BA will automatically rebook you onto another flight and re-issue the e-ticket, but that doesn't strip you from the right to opt for another flight or ask for refund.

Regarding rebooking - your first flight has to be taken within 1 year of the original booking date, other flights have to be taken within 1 year of the first outbound segment. Some BA agents are poorly trained and insist all itinerary has to be taken within 1 year of booking.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Oh I don't think we even thought about a refund! They've now confirmed that the LHR - BCN flight wasn't cancelled until May 28th, long after my friends supposedly 'accepted' the change. So I assume that means we can request that.
Thank you @megaloman
megaloman and sammyg901 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: BA, AA, UA, VS, DL, EI, Hilton, Marriot
I know this is a couple of months old but in case your friends have taken no action yet. BA changed their definition of ticket validity on 8th July. If any flight in the booking is cancelled then as well as asking for an FTV or cash refund they can rebook to any date outbound within 12 months of currently scheduled departure date, not original ticketing date (usually but not always close to booking date), and return within 12 months of rebooked outbound date. There has to be space available in the cabin but it can be in any booking class. This applies to redemption bookings also which can be booked in revenue if available. Think carefully what to do as you only have 'one shot' at a 'free' change unless there is another cancellation. Do nothing for as long as you wish to retain flexibility but do not no-show for a flight that is operating, especially the first flight. You can ask BA to cancel other flights in the PNR and keep it open with a dummy booking until you are ready to rebook e.g. if you require flights that are more than 355 days away so out of scope for booking. You can FTV at any time though. Also did they book through a travel agent? The agent may have accepted the change on their behalf. Hope it all works out.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:06 am

Programs: BA - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
Unfortunately, this seems not to be the case......

Im being told that unless its within -3 +14 (standard) then they will book into same class only if its a codeshare......

BA are telling me that unless I am within the standard -3 +14 days for rebooking a set of BA/AA (BA Prime and 125- ticket which has had no previous amendments).

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...er-guidelines:

Option 2 - Rebook Joint Business Atlantic Joint Business routing: rebook BA, IB, AA or AY operated services
Siberian Joint Business routing: rebook BA, IB, JL or AY operated services

CZ Joint Business routing: rebook BA or CZ operated services Routing Same point of origin and destination via a Joint Business routing Period More than 3 days before or more than 14 days after the original departure date (must be booked within ticket validity) Allowance Rebook into the same class as original Important information May include a change of airports in the same city
Includes BA*EC services
Includes any connecting services that are Joint Business 'Back and 'Beyonds' if issued on the same ticket
Check class mapping if re-booking onto an alternative JB carrier

Last edited by sunguy; Aug 25, 2021 at 5:31 am
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What was your booking sunguy? What has been cancelled? And what are you trying to change it to?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:30 am

Programs: BA - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
What was your booking sunguy? What has been cancelled? And what are you trying to change it to?
Booking a a complex Budepest - Hawaii deal ..... BUD-LHR-JFK-PHX-KOA-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-BUD -- LAX-JFK and LHR-BUD sectors were cancelled a few weeks ago - I didnt touch the booking until I knew the borders were going to definitely be closed.

Trying to change it to the same booking just 365 days later .... (obs. they cant book the flights right now (15 Oct I think the seats will all be available), but I was being told that when I did book it, it *must* be same class when I do).
Old Aug 25, 2021, 6:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes so for non BA operated & marketed flights that is correct.

The allowance to go a year later regardless of booking class only applies for BA operated & marketed flights.

edit: correction that BA marketed AA operated segments may be ok to move up to a year later in accordance with the BA policy. but any flight which are AA marketed would not be covered and only movable -3/+14 days, or if beyond will need same selling class.
jerry a. laska, wrp96 and sunguy like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 26, 2021 at 5:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.