Wiki Posts
Search

Seat in First compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Seat in First compensation

Hopefully, a quick question. My wife’s seat in First didn’t recline on our recent trip. Cabin crew tried to investigate unfortunately to no avail.

We had an email from customer service during our trip (as the Cabin Crew kindly must have notified them on our behalf) with a Ł750 e voucher. 1st question is this the normal amount? Secondly do you know if I can ask them if we could have it in AVIOS and not a voucher?

Thought id reach out to this forum first before calling customer service for advice.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I have had 100k Avios in the past for this,
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes you can have Avios, from memory 100K is correct.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hey! Was it the only seat left ? Cash or Reward booking ?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn’t matter what type of booking you have if the seat does not recline fully and there are no spare seats compensation is due.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Cheers all. Looks like 100k Avios seems a reasonable request.

Was a cash booking - Flew from LHR to Mexico City 2 weeks ago. Luckily it was a day flight out so no need to sleep. No other seats available as the plane pretty much in all cabins was fully booked. No priority boarding so we boarded the plane last, which was a surreal experience.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare result if you're happy with that. The cabin crew used to be able to manually recline for bed if needs be ? Very bad that you weren't boarded first... when I flew 3 class to Antigua couple weeks back, the boarding was rows 1-4, then rear forwards. WTP boarded last.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
FVery bad that you weren't boarded first... when I flew 3 class to Antigua couple weeks back, the boarding was rows 1-4, then rear forwards. WTP boarded last.
Priority boarding only restarted this week. Up until now, the procedure is to board starting at the back. Some out stations have not been following this clear protocol.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:32 am

For a non-reclining seat in F, BA have offered 140k avios or a Ł700 e-voucher.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shefgab
Priority boarding only restarted this week. Up until now, the procedure is to board starting at the back. Some out stations have not been following this clear protocol.
This happened at LGW and they were very regimented / reading script. Don't think they made it up on the spot !
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This happened at LGW and they were very regimented / reading script. Don't think they made it up on the spot !
What we did notice that other passengers in F boarded quite some time before we did. Maybe they just went first when calling the back rows. Didnt both us.

Ill try the 140K Avios first before asking for 100. Ill call them shortly and keep all posted incase someone else finds this useful.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No point is asking for more as there is a Matrix they must follow, just say you want Avios instead.
The idea of boarding from the rear is that as few as possible customers have to pass each other, if boarding is at door 2 and the front cabin is a complete cabin class (First/CW) there is no reason they could not be boarded first.
wdcosta117 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Apparently BA stopped offering Avios as compensation on June 4th 2021.

On my recent MEX-LHR flight in F:
  • my seat did not recline and had large gouges missing from the trim
  • partner's seat had A/C dripping on it from above
  • both seats were covered in stains and crumbs and clearly hadn't been cleaned
  • food was completely overcooked to the point of being inedible
  • crew were in need of F cabin training and didn't deliver proper service
All above points have been acknowledged and verified by BA.

The offer from Customer Services today was for a Ł150 e-voucher per person.
To call that an insult is an understatement.
DelTroon, elbirchos and SW7London like this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:11 am

@Jermyn - I saw your posts on Instagram about this and am now very nervous ahead of my upcoming flights in F in the 787-9. Shocked that they can't/ won't offer more
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
The problem seems to be endemic on the 789 fleet, had friends flying a different 789 to Dubai the other day in F.
One of their seats had huge chunks of the leather trim missing and gouges in the wall, under the lamp.

Had a few DMs on instagram, with people mentioning seats in similar shape since at least January.

Maintenance on the Dreamliners is truly shocking, given they're only 5 years old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.