Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DO: SOF-USA West Coast TP Run July-August 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nephoi
DO STATUS: DO #1 SEATTLE/EVERETT & DO #2 LOS ANGELES BOOKABLE

Please add your usernames below if you are planning or considering to join the DO.
If you want to remain anonymous, please send me ( ISTFlyer ) a PM and I would add you in the list. Unless, you specifically request me to add you in to the list with your username, I would only mention you as Anonymous member.

Organizing Committee:

ISTFlyer
Nephoi

Members Planning to Join:

PGberkshire
Vintagepilot
flyingroundtheworld
midvid
wilsnunn
Efincomputer
Tocsin
Lenis
AlphaXray
Cymro
Reetmafreen
Simon Schus
camdentown
HPN-HRL
shl +1
nh1980

Total Number of People Planning to Join: something around 25

Print Wikipost

DO: SOF-USA West Coast TP Run July-August 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
How much is the fare for the chosen itinerary?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
How much is the fare for the chosen itinerary?
That's not defined yet but it'll likely be between £1,000 and £1,500. Most of the fares have been around the £1,200 mark, for 800-960TPs, excluding positioning.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
On a sample of one single experience, I would think that the TWA would work best on the outbound trip. With the likely TATL timings, you could arrive mid-afternoon and then progress onward the next morning. Staying on the eastbound trip might leave a long checkout day waiting for an overnight eastbound TATL. Westbound, it would also act as a gathering point for anyone on alternative or more creative routings, arriving at JFK at various times.

That said, on that previous experience, we all arrived on the same flight, and we had all cleared immigration in Shannon so some of the above didn't apply! And only 2 of us stayed there anyway.

I'm not bothered about doing it again necessarily, and I have a stay planned with her indoors for October, but am happy to go with the flow. It is definitely worth a look - you can whizz round it on any reasonable JFK layover, but you really need to stay if you want the full experience.

Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
On a sample of one single experience, I would think that the TWA would work best on the outbound trip. With the likely TATL timings, you could arrive mid-afternoon and then progress onward the next morning. Staying on the eastbound trip might leave a long checkout day waiting for an overnight eastbound TATL. Westbound, it would also act as a gathering point for anyone on alternative or more creative routings, arriving at JFK at various times.

That said, on that previous experience, we all arrived on the same flight, and we had all cleared immigration in Shannon so some of the above didn't apply! And only 2 of us stayed there anyway.

I'm not bothered about doing it again necessarily, and I have a stay planned with her indoors for October, but am happy to go with the flow. It is definitely worth a look - you can whizz round it on any reasonable JFK layover, but you really need to stay if you want the full experience.
Thank you for the suggestion and the post,

Currently I am doing availability pattern analysis for all 3 main destinations + some suggested side destinations like Vegas, Phoenix, San Jose, etc... , follow how inventory opens T-330 on BA, AA and AS flights that might involve.

Although, it's not 100% confirmed that we would have a TWA Hotel experience, it might be an early-afternoon/afternoon arrival at JFK followed by a morning/late-morning departure from JFK; or it might be a red-eye arrival at JFK and an evening departure out of JFK with those who don't want to join the TWA Hotel party flying a daytime flight to London. The TWA Hotel also offers day rooms and it's not necessary to have regular check-in check-out times to get a room.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
The timings of the pool opening is key....
LCSinTexas and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
The timings of the pool opening is key....
I think it's open from 07:00 to 22:30.
Advanced reservation for the pool might be required and according to the TWA Hotel website ( at the moment that this post is made ) every hotel guest has a 1h45min limit per stay.

Another idea would be to reserve the pool for a private event like some others did. Although, I am not aware if this would have extra costs rather than the $25/$50 admission fee into the pool. The organizing committee would be giving further information if TWA Hotel is selected for the layover and if we could reserve the pool. We might need an advanced deposit for that and it might not be welcome to ask money from people in advance to reserve the pool. It would be a chaos to handle it if people decide to cancel their trip at a further stage, border restrictions remain, etc...

If we reserve the pool for a private event, the 1h45min limit wouldn't apply.
LCSinTexas and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For AA wide-bodies on non-premium routes, I personally think that we shouldn't take that risk as schedule changes would definitely happen and aircraft types are schedule to change.
According to BA policy, we are able to stay within the same routing during schedule changes and flight cancellations so that's a huge plus. I don't want to change layover cities as more than 30 people would be dealing with call centers and I don't want to hear YMMV situations were some of us are able to rebook but some of us could not. Also, an aircraft type itself does not qualify for a free change and today there was a really good discussion on the AA forum regarding that. Although, members who wish could route themselves via PHL, CLT, PHX, LAS, etc...
Yes, I saw the discussion (I assume it was the one discussing the 787 to 321 change) and whereas equipment changes on international flights do qualify those on domestics don't. My thought behind mentioning those was more for the benefit of those - as you say - who might want to contemplate alternative routings or, indeed, anyone considering a TP run while in the USA.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Yes, I saw the discussion (I assume it was the one discussing the 787 to 321 change) and whereas equipment changes on international flights do qualify those on domestics don't. My thought behind mentioning those was more for the benefit of those - as you say - who might want to contemplate alternative routings or, indeed, anyone considering a TP run while in the USA.
Definitely, it might be useful for those who would like to take alternative routings.
Also I assume that most people would book through BA and an aircraft change does not qualify for a free change/refund including international flights.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Definitely, it might be useful for those who would like to take alternative routings.
Also I assume that most people would book through BA and an aircraft change does not qualify for a free change/refund including international flights.
if 16 of us are booked on a domestic widebody business class (assuming, there are 16+ I seats) an equipment change would imply a downgrade for some of us .> rebooking to another routing.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nephoi
if 16 of us are booked on a domestic widebody business class (assuming, there are 16+ I seats) an equipment change would imply a downgrade for some of us .> rebooking to another routing.
Exactly.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Some Updates:

* I have so far received more than 30 answers for the poll and still there is a close race between 2 destinations.
* Although many people who filled out the poll has a wide calendar availability next summer, there are people that are not able to attend on several weeks. Thus, I am more inclined to do 2 separate DO's to 2 different destinations if there is a demand. If there is demand for two, both of those trips would be DO's, if there isn't demand for two, one of them would be a DO and the other one would be flight and destination meet-up only.
* As there are multiple requests for Helsinki, on the return leg of the DO('s), I might also consider availability for Helsinki but it wouldn't be on the main routing but suggested as an alternative routing. As the westbound route out of Sofia should be on Monday if a HEL routing is chosen, I am not planning to add Helsinki to this DO. The pre-DO in event in Sofia should take place on a Tuesday as planned so if you decide to fly out of SOF on a Monday, you would miss any event that might happen in Sofia or in London.
* Due to a potential overwhelm, I am currently trying to figure out how to share the flight details for the DO when it's confirmed and bookable. Multiple scenarios are possible and I am evaluating each of them. Further details on this would be available after the poll has been closed.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I am interested in coming along 😀
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Suggestion recorded.
I might consider SOF-LHR-JFK-SFO-SAN.
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
May I suggest SAN as an endpoint (or one, you can fly a cheap positioning flight with AS if we make it open jaw). The air and space museum there is pretty great in balboa park
Party at my place then! 🥳😀 I never tire of visiting the air and space museum, or the whole balboa park area in fact when I have out of town guests visiting.

its strange to see folks actively seeking out East coast stopover points for a west coast itinerary, but that’s simply playing the game here. I was a US Airways elite before the AA merger, so heading back home to the UK for the holidays meant a TATL departure from PHL/CLT, coupled with a long connecting domestic segment. I didn’t know any better back then. BA was not an option as no earning option before the AA merger and paying for seat reservations was at odds with my Scottishness!

These days, with the OW alliance and as a OWS, BA is back in the fold, but I would typically look for direct flights out of SAN/LAX simply for convenience, rather than achieving status with a different earning criteria to BAEC. Why go all around the houses if the EQD/RDM totals are identical to a direct flight? If I have to make a connection (damn you COVID) DFW/SFO and now SEA are my limits for a crAApy domestic connection. I don’t even look at the East coast cities. I guess I’ll get a change to visit one or two of those based on the routing selected for the DO. 😎
efincomputer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Party at my place then! 🥳😀 I never tire of visiting the air and space museum, or the whole balboa park area in fact when I have out of town guests visiting.
This is noted. Thank you for the proposition
I also have some sad news regarding SAN; unfortunately SOF-LHR-JFK-SFO-SAN is not possible as the BA fare does not permit the last leg to be on Alaska unless it originates from San Francisco, Portland or Seattle.

As the LAX-SAN flights are discontinued by all carriers, other than JFK/BOS-CLT/PHL/PHX-SAN, etc... we wouldn't have flexibility so the DO purpose which is to fly together on the same aircraft as much as we could would not be met.

Although, SAN is still considered as a side-destination reachable by car/bus/train if Los Angeles is selected and we could organize a day-trip over there.

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
its strange to see folks actively seeking out East coast stopover points for a west coast itinerary, but that’s simply playing the game here. I was a US Airways elite before the AA merger, so heading back home to the UK for the holidays meant a TATL departure from PHL/CLT, coupled with a long connecting domestic segment. I didn’t know any better back then. BA was not an option as no earning option before the AA merger and paying for seat reservations was at odds with my Scottishness!
Exactly, the reasoning of East Coast stopover points come from maximizing Tier Points and this is the main purpose of the DO.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:40 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
This is noted. Thank you for the proposition

Although, SAN is still considered as a side-destination reachable by car/bus/train if Los Angeles is selected and we could organize a day-trip over there.
Just give me enough time to stock up the bar in the loft! 😉

We could all become train geeks for the day and take the Pacific Surfliner down the coast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.