Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DO: SOF-USA West Coast TP Run July-August 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nephoi
DO STATUS: DO #1 SEATTLE/EVERETT & DO #2 LOS ANGELES BOOKABLE

Please add your usernames below if you are planning or considering to join the DO.
If you want to remain anonymous, please send me ( ISTFlyer ) a PM and I would add you in the list. Unless, you specifically request me to add you in to the list with your username, I would only mention you as Anonymous member.

Organizing Committee:

ISTFlyer
Nephoi

Members Planning to Join:

PGberkshire
Vintagepilot
flyingroundtheworld
midvid
wilsnunn
Efincomputer
Tocsin
Lenis
AlphaXray
Cymro
Reetmafreen
Simon Schus
camdentown
HPN-HRL
shl +1
nh1980

Total Number of People Planning to Join: something around 25

Print Wikipost

DO: SOF-USA West Coast TP Run July-August 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
May I suggest SAN as an endpoint (or one, you can fly a cheap positioning flight with AS if we make it open jaw). The air and space museum there is pretty great in balboa park
i have been there last year. Not my prime destination (cause I have already been there), but with you? Always….
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
First, I would like to thank you for reminding that SOF-LHR-MIA-LAX-SEA exceeds the MPM for SEA with 99 miles so it has been removed from the poll. All other routings in the poll are satisfying MPM requirements.
Actually I would first try to price it and see, if it permits via MIA with a surcharge. Remember that MPM isn't the absolute limit. The surcharge isn't really that bad.

- The reason why I would prioritize AA Flagship Business is that the A321T's have 40 Business and the 77W's have 56 Business seats. Except for JFK-LAX on peak hours, I don't think that we would run on "I" fare availability on that.
I did think of the cabin size, but I mainly wanted to mention I've considered alternative routings simply for the fact we may indeed be so numerous, that multiple routings will be needed for sufficient I(ndia) availability. Of course any organised/official itinerary may be with large cabins, at your discretion.

I would have an alternative itinerary section in one of the first posts and if you are taking an alternative itinerary, you would be able to post it there and let others join you
Aye, we'll see how things evolve. I'm mentally prepared to consider a multitude of options for how to book, depending on the destination and how big of a rush there will be. And also raising a flag, that at least I'm available to be joined for a possible alternative routing. Just as FYI, so that nobody has to think they're alone considering options.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Actually I would first try to price it and see, if it permits via MIA with a surcharge. Remember that MPM isn't the absolute limit. The surcharge isn't really that bad.
Wow, Matrix priced it despite the MPM. So that option is back on the poll.

I did think of the cabin size, but I mainly wanted to mention I've considered alternative routings simply for the fact we may indeed be so numerous, that multiple routings will be needed for sufficient I(ndia) availability. Of course any organised/official itinerary may be with large cabins, at your discretion.
Definitely agree, we would run out of "I" fare availability at the main path and multiple routings might be needed.

Aye, we'll see how things evolve. I'm mentally prepared to consider a multitude of options for how to book, depending on the destination and how big of a rush there will be. And also raising a flag, that at least I'm available to be joined for a possible alternative routing. Just as FYI, so that nobody has to think they're alone considering options.
Once again thanks for your comment
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:14 pm

you mentioned that we need several routings. follow me (and Flying Yazata ?) on the "scenic route" via helsinki please bear in mind that the next stop on that route may be behind you.

chicken or pasta?

Last edited by Nephoi; Jun 15, 2021 at 1:19 pm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Im happy to go on a long and winding path to LA, especially if it accrues me extra TP and a stop at HEL lounge

In the the spirit of taking one for the team
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Im happy to go on a long and winding path to LA, especially if it accrues me extra TP and a stop at HEL lounge

if you look to your right, you'll see Finland. if you look to your left, you'll see Finland. im quite good at this. maybe I should reconsider my job.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
While I was doing some routing works and timing combinations, I have realized that in case of JFK-SFO ( AA ), SFO-xxx on ( AS ) wouldn't work.
This is because of this located in the fare rules

2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
NONE PERMITTED IN POLAND/IRELAND IN EACH
DIRECTION
NONE PERMITTED IN ITALY IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED TRANSFERS BETWEEN DOMESTIC
FLIGHT AND INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT BETWEEN FB
AND AA/AB/AT/AY/BA/FB/HG/IB IN BULGARIA IN
EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN FB AND AA/AB/AT/AY/BA/
HG/IB IN LON IN EACH DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED VIA AA/AB/AY/BA/HG/IB ONLY IN
EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION.
AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/
JFK IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/
PDX/SEA IN EACH DIRECTION

1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN
CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN
HAWAII IN EACH DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED VIA AA/BA/IB ONLY IN UNITED
STATES/CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION.
FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS NOT
PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
Will update the poll after my researches are completed.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I did some further thinking:
  • I haven't yet had the time to look at what's actually currently available in terms of fares ex-Europe, but I will revisit the topic within a few weeks. I anyway need to redo my 2021-2022 membership cycle, since I had a lot axed, thanks to the pandemic prolonging many restrictions into late 2021. I should hopefully obtain GGL and CCR by the time of the possible DO, thus being able to guest some fellow FT'ers, but I will have to do some crazy 3750 TPs within 2-3 months next spring to achieve that as a "once in a lifetime" experience. It's apparently going to be my last easy opportunity, taken BA didn't extend the current courtesy rules for us "Junes."
  • All departure point options are okay for me, inc. SOF. Just saying that I will be happy to work out an alternative (or two), depending what the Oneworld overlords will make available as new business class specials.
  • I did vote in the poll that some sidetrip from the DO destination or adding a US TP run are viable options for me. My collection year 2022-2023 is still without any plans, except for that AK. So I'm +1 for doing something extra in terms of OW and TPs. I can throw in some ideas, once the DO location is set. Not something that's a "must", but certainly an option.
Wow, Matrix priced it despite the MPM. So that option is back on the poll.
Good to hear that. I remembered that usually via MIA is a challenge (it being so south), but it really depends on MPM. With the TATL JV fares ex-EU, you usually have more MIA friendly opportunities further east. Or then just do e.g. MAD-MIA with IB (avoiding an AA mental overload with too much credit card marketing with wings ).

Lounges. With me in tow, it means also doing the Plaza Premium Lounge. No, you don't want to travel with me via e.g. BKK, if you hate lounge surfing.

Speaking of which: why did I mention LHR-CLT? Well, T3 and a lounge bonanza - just think of all the OW and Priority Pass lounges, not to mention the upcoming Centurion Lounge. We would probably need stretchers to get us loaded onto that connecting AA flight.

Originally Posted by Nephoi
you mentioned that we need several routings. follow me (and Flying Yazata ?) on the "scenic route" via helsinki please bear in mind that the next stop on that route may be behind you.
Going via HEL is indeed an alternative, but it really depends on the departure point, if it's doable in terms of permitted mileage and timetables. I personally find it more intriguing to experience new routings, airports and such, which is why my last AA booking with the old caveat had ATH and not HEL. The AY Platinum Wing lounge is just a lounge. Now, the new BER is something I'd be much more interested in. I did ex-TXL in October 2019.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar

An FT DO via the sauna has the potential to make stories for many years
Flying Yazata and Arsey00 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
An FT DO via the sauna has the potential to make stories for many years
Depends if you get naked or not?! when in Rome...
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Going via HEL is indeed an alternative, but it really depends on the departure point, if it's doable in terms of permitted mileage and timetables. I personally find it more intriguing to experience new routings, airports and such, which is why my last AA booking with the old caveat had ATH and not HEL. The AY Platinum Wing lounge is just a lounge. Now, the new BER is something I'd be much more interested in. I did ex-TXL in October 2019.
The problem with HEL is that due to the timings of SOF-LHR, LHR-HEL and HEL-JFK an additional overnight is required in Helsinki when heading westbound and on the return it requires an additional overnight in Helsinki or London. That's why I am not inclined to add HEL to this DO.

To take the HEL routing, also, it's notable that you must leave Sofia on a Monday which would increase the duration of the DO.

Otherwise, if the DO was during the winter timetable or if AY didn't remove their 5pm HEL-JFK departure from their S22 schedule, I would have most likely added HEL.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I'd certainly be interested in attending. I have completed the poll. As I live and work in the USA I'd be joining somewhere on this side of the pond. Depending on the final routing and prices based on domestic flights I'd join in NYC or MIA etc. If I do come then my wife would be joining me. She enjoys the travel, and we did participate in a mini-do here in Las Vegas a few years ago that she enjoyed.

In terms of routing, there are currently a lot of domestic routes in the US that have widebody aircraft on them - but whether that will be the case next year remains to be seen. Current examples include LAS to MIA, PHL and ORD - so the possibility of 140 TPs plus lie-flat beds on internal US flights.

If the Bay Area is chosen as a destination then there's also the possibility of visiting Napa / Sonoma / Paso Robles for wine tasting. Old Town Sacramento is quaint and worth a visit, especially the California State Railroad Museum. Las Vegas is great for its food scene as well as a lot of craft breweries.
squawk and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
I'd certainly be interested in attending. I have completed the poll. As I live and work in the USA I'd be joining somewhere on this side of the pond. Depending on the final routing and prices based on domestic flights I'd join in NYC or MIA etc. If I do come then my wife would be joining me. She enjoys the travel, and we did participate in a mini-do here in Las Vegas a few years ago that she enjoyed.

In terms of routing, there are currently a lot of domestic routes in the US that have widebody aircraft on them - but whether that will be the case next year remains to be seen. Current examples include LAS to MIA, PHL and ORD - so the possibility of 140 TPs plus lie-flat beds on internal US flights.

If the Bay Area is chosen as a destination then there's also the possibility of visiting Napa / Sonoma / Paso Robles for wine tasting. Old Town Sacramento is quaint and worth a visit, especially the California State Railroad Museum. Las Vegas is great for its food scene as well as a lot of craft breweries.
Thank you for your interest Geordie405 ,

You are always welcome to join the DO from the USA and we're eagerly waiting to see you on the domestic legs.

I have already received the idea of Napa/Sonoma/Paso Robles for wine tasting from another member and it's definitely considered. It's a 1h drive from SFO so we would be able to go there without running out of discounted flight availability. Sacramento and Las Vegas was also proposed by others and in consideration.

For AA wide-bodies on non-premium routes, I personally think that we shouldn't take that risk as schedule changes would definitely happen and aircraft types are schedule to change.
According to BA policy, we are able to stay within the same routing during schedule changes and flight cancellations so that's a huge plus. I don't want to change layover cities as more than 30 people would be dealing with call centers and I don't want to hear YMMV situations were some of us are able to rebook but some of us could not. Also, an aircraft type itself does not qualify for a free change and today there was a really good discussion on the AA forum regarding that. Although, members who wish could route themselves via PHL, CLT, PHX, LAS, etc...
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:16 pm

Just filled out the form!

Based in the USA but I'm back in the UK a lot - and think I could join for the outbound leg (and then book the return leg for a later date as part of a nested routing).
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Just filled out the form!

Based in the USA but I'm back in the UK a lot - and think I could join for the outbound leg (and then book the return leg for a later date as part of a nested routing).
Thank you for your interest Simon Schus , I have just received your responses.

As always, you're welcome to join the DO partially if you can't attend the whole schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.