Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Avios for car rental at Avis in the USA - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 3:57 am
Original Poster

So due to changing my flight booking strategy for our holiday to the USA, I think I'm going to have around 60,000 Avios spare. Which is great. I was going to use these to secure some discounts with hotels, however, the hotels I'm looking at are coming up at 50,000 + per night for some bizarre reason. Other hotels are fewer points and the same quality, but not where I need them to be.

So I had a look at our car rental. I was planning to use Alamo Brits (https://www.alamo.co.uk/en/car-hire-...ders-deal.html). Brits guide discount can be extended for all USA and includes fully inclusive rental with all insurances and three drivers. For an intermediate car over 10 days for a cost of around 500, which is fully cancellable (pre-pay 20 cheaper), still not fully trusting the Covid situation. I looked at booking Avis directly, but they wanted more and it didn't seem to come with the insurances etc.

Then I looked at the Avios and their Avis tie-up. For the same 10 days, Avis intermediate is available for 53,700 points. It seems to include the CDW and Liability cover as well. So it seems 'all inclusive' like the Almo Brits deal. It can be cancelled until 72 hours before as well.

Does anybody have any advice? I've seen other forum posts for quite a way back saying they were stung for insurance at the Avis desk when they booked via Avios, but maybe the CDW and liability wasn't previously included? I seem to be getting about 0.93p value on each point based on the 500 Alamo price.... which doesn't seem too bad?

Thanks all,
Old May 15, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
In my experience Avis rentals in the USA for UK people always include the needed insurances, you damaging others, and you damaging the rental car. I think most of the desk up sells are roadside assistance and personal insurance, PAI with Avis. Roadside is about helping with things youre responsible for, most obvious example locking keys in the car. The personal insurance is typically things any decent policy you have for travel would include.
I should say this is based on paying cash, so maybe not quite the same.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz
In my experience Avis rentals in the USA for UK people always include the needed insurances, you damaging others, and you damaging the rental car. I think most of the desk up sells are roadside assistance and personal insurance, PAI with Avis. Roadside is about helping with things youre responsible for, most obvious example locking keys in the car. The personal insurance is typically things any decent policy you have for travel would include.
I should say this is based on paying cash, so maybe not quite the same.
Ah, that's good to know CDW and Liability is included in the cash price for Avis as well. When I priced it up, I couldn't see that inclusion, but some of these websites frankly do a poor job of making clear what is included and not included in your booking for car rental, so I probably just missed it.

I'm hoping booking with Avios is the same!
Old May 15, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Avis cash booking booked via BA Exec Club also gives you a second driver for free. I am not sure if that applies to reward bookings but assume it would. Also if you're not already Avis Preferred signing up via BA used to earn a bonus 1,000 Avios.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve never paid anything like 500 for ten days car hire in USA. A mustang for a week in Florida is usually around 200. Where / when are you looking for ?
Rob Clark likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Ive never paid anything like 500 for ten days car hire in USA. A mustang for a week in Florida is usually around 200. Where / when are you looking for ?
Prices are through the roof there at the moment due to demand and shortage of supply. I'm looking at booking 4 nights from LAX in October and its around 390 for an intermediate.
dougzz and Rob Clark like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I had read somewhere about rental companies having an inventory shortage (due to C-19) and milking prices as a consequence.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
I had read somewhere about rental companies having an inventory shortage (due to C-19) and milking prices as a consequence.
That's what I heard too. Whatever the reason, my impression is rentals ex-LAX are approximately double pre-Covid rates. The margin varies by category though. Compacts seemed maybe +75%, convertibles - forget it, they are off the scale. It's not consistent though. Rather randomly I got a good deal on an Evoque ("or similar") for August.

Returning to OP, if you haven't experienced Alamo it's probably worth looking at other users' reviews. I never had a good experience with their customer service.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Rob Clark

Does anybody have any advice? I've seen other forum posts for quite a way back saying they were stung for insurance at the Avis desk when they booked via Avios, but maybe the CDW and liability wasn't previously included? I seem to be getting about 0.93p value on each point based on the 500 Alamo price.... which doesn't seem too bad?
Like a lot of folk I value Avios at roughly 1p for most purposes so 0.93 seems reasonable value.

I agree with the poster above who said that renters contracting in the UK will get decent insurance. I wouldn't be tempted by up-selling at the desk.

A pre-paid contract in is nearly always best value. But prices are dynamic, and likely to be more so this year so (a) check you can cancel without penalty, and (b) re-check periodically to see if the same vehicle can be rented for less.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
The new vehicle shortage is real in the USA- auto manufacturers reduced their microchip purchases last year because of uncertainty, chip producers switched to making other kinds of chips and when demand for new cars increased, the automakers didnt have enough chip supply to keep production high enough to meet demand.

And the rental car companies that sold off fleets last year to have enough cash on hand to meet debts are now competing with rando Americans and struggling to rebuild fleets are priced they can afford- I suspect a lot of the usual fleet/bulk discounts they used to get are out the window at this point.
T8191 and Rob Clark like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
At SFO prices are around $100 per day for a compact Just be aware that in many states your spouse is automatically included in a rental contract by law so you dont need to worry what the contract says. Cant speak to FL, but CA is one of them.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Please be aware of the steep cost of car rentaI insurances on Avios Bookings.
In my experience, the Avis rental agents at the pick up counter may demand that you purchase insurances locally (Theft Protection and Collision/Loss Damage Waiver) for an Avios booking, because of, or if it does not include any in its conditions, and refuse to release the car until you agree too.
It may be cheaper overall to book a car rental package that includes prepaid insurance.
Due to the general lack of cars for rental in the US, the press has stories of people booking U-HAULS (moving trucks) instead.
Here are the Avios Avis booking conditions, see "if required, to purchase locally.":

The terms of the rental and a full breakdown of the inclusions is provided in or with the Rental Agreement, which you will be required to sign before collecting your rental vehicle. The Renter must present at least one valid credit card in their name and all components of their drivers licence at the rental desk. For Budget car hire the renter will need to bring proof of address. The excess shown is applicable in the event of the rental vehicle being damaged or stolen. Any optional extras, including additional cover to reduce the excess amount, will be available to purchase locally. Unless shown as included, Collision/Loss Damage Waiver, Theft Protection and Additional Liability Insurance are excluded from the rental but will be available, if required, to purchase locally. Changing your booking: You will not be able to change your booking when it has been confirmed. You will be able to cancel your booking, for a fee, and make a new booking. However, we cannot guarantee that the same hotel room or car rental option will still be available. Cancelling your booking: Cancellations made outside of 72 hours to travel will be charged a cancellation fee of 35 or local equivalent, plus any applicable Supplier Fees as advised at time of booking. Cancellation/Supplier fees are payable in CASH by credit/debit card only. Cancellations made within 72 hours to travel will be charged 100% of the booking value and no refund will be made. Failure to cancel prior to scheduled check-in or pick-up time will be considered a no-show and will not be eligible for refund. There will be no refund for unused services, early check-out or drop-off. Cancellation fees: In addition to the car cancellation policy described above, there will be an additional fee equivalent to 15 for any cancellations made by an agent over the phone. Cancellations made online are only subject to applicable supplier cancellation fees. See T&C’s at https://www.avis.co.uk/TermsAndCondition or https://www.budget.co.uk/TermsAndCondition
dougzz likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Ive never paid anything like 500 for ten days car hire in USA. A mustang for a week in Florida is usually around 200. Where / when are you looking for ?
Yep. Ive rented in the States a few times and Id say prices are maybe 2 to 3 times more than normal. Less of an increase in smaller cars. Fuel has gone up as well, and with typically less miles per gallon in American cars, Im actually not sure they are much cheaper mile for mile than here now.

Still is what it is. Im getting some pretty good discounts on hotels which will hopefully offset it a bit.

Last edited by Rob Clark; May 16, 2021 at 3:04 am
Old May 16, 2021, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peter M
Please be aware of the steep cost of car rentaI insurances on Avios Bookings.
In my experience, the Avis rental agents at the pick up counter may demand that you purchase insurances locally (Theft Protection and Collision/Loss Damage Waiver) for an Avios booking, because of, or if it does not include any in its conditions, and refuse to release the car until you agree too.
It may be cheaper overall to book a car rental package that includes prepaid insurance.
Due to the general lack of cars for rental in the US, the press has stories of people booking U-HAULS (moving trucks) instead.
Here are the Avios Avis booking conditions, see "if required, to purchase locally.":
Oh heck. So, CDW and liability insurance is not included in Avios reward bookings? That would rule that deal out then! 53k points to be charged more for the essential waiver insurances (not bothered about medical etc as have travel insurance) at the desk would be out of the question!

I think Ill give them a call and see what I can find out!
Old May 16, 2021, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fripperies
Like a lot of folk I value Avios at roughly 1p for most purposes so 0.93 seems reasonable value.

I agree with the poster above who said that renters contracting in the UK will get decent insurance. I wouldn't be tempted by up-selling at the desk.

A pre-paid contract in is nearly always best value. But prices are dynamic, and likely to be more so this year so (a) check you can cancel without penalty, and (b) re-check periodically to see if the same vehicle can be rented for less.
I will do. Good advice. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.