FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA's reactions to May 17th openings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2039355-bas-reactions-may-17th-openings.html)

ratechaser May 7, 2021 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37 (Post 33232958)
Fares have been going up all week as the 'expected list' became firmer. I managed to grab 2 seats to Lisbon over the Bank Holiday weekend (out ET / back CE) last Sunday morning and within 2hrs of my booking the same flights / classes were £500 more expensive. That was not purely due to booking as BA definitely pulled lower fare classes as they sensed an opportunity. (Those flights are now £700 more expensive as a reference point)

Pilot37

Still some very cheap FAO fares over the summer hols (~£80 return) - can't seen them still being around past today if it does make the green list

Looks like it's the ex-LGW flights mostly that have been moved over that are the cheap ones, there are some huge disparities on segment prices between flights on the same day (all the way from O to Y)

RG1X May 7, 2021 6:19 am

Edit - Wrong thread.

USA_flyer May 7, 2021 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37 (Post 33232958)
Fares have been going up all week as the 'expected list' became firmer. I managed to grab 2 seats to Lisbon over the Bank Holiday weekend (out ET / back CE) last Sunday morning and within 2hrs of my booking the same flights / classes were £500 more expensive. That was not purely due to booking as BA definitely pulled lower fare classes as they sensed an opportunity. (Those flights are now £700 more expensive as a reference point)

Pilot37

I imagine what EasyJet and Ryanair do will have an impact on this too. If they bump their fares up, it'll give BA the room to do the same.

HB7 May 7, 2021 7:48 am

Just over two hours now. Does anyone here know if BA will add more flights on to the green listed countries announced? I heard some talk of widebody aircraft as well to leisure destinations - any chance of that?

Pilot37 May 7, 2021 8:03 am

Originally Posted by HB7 (Post 33233229)
Just over two hours now. Does anyone here know if BA will add more flights on to the green listed countries announced? I heard some talk of widebody aircraft as well to leisure destinations - any chance of that?

Well MAN and EDI have already had flights added by BA to Faro in the last 24hrs, but I would expect most airlines to view booking numbers / searches over the next 48hrs once the list is formally announced and then try and match capacity to demand.

Pilot37

mikeyfly May 7, 2021 9:01 am

Remember plenty of the "green countries" may not let us in !

Tobias-UK May 7, 2021 9:11 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 33232907)
I'm hoping for the USA on the Green or Amber list - even though its several months away before I actually fly, it would be a little peace of mind that travel is possible even if it does involve spending time in the house after returning home.

That assumes the US will lift their travel restrictions on non-US residents.

Today’s announcement is about what will be required for those travelling back to the UK from certain countries - it’s up to those countries whether or not (and under what circumstances) they will accept visitors from the UK. Hopefully Shapps will announce non-essential international travel will be 'decriminalised' from 17 May.

Whether other countries will let us in is entirely a matter for them. At least after today we should know what the requirements will be for returning to the UK once we do travel.

Professor Yaffle May 7, 2021 9:12 am

Third flight to FAO on May 30th added in last 24 hours. Priced at under £150 in Y this morning, now north of £400. Also looks like the late flight is now an A321 (not sure if this was always the case or not...)

USA_flyer May 7, 2021 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 33233396)
That assumes the US will lift their travel restrictions on non-US residents.

Today’s announcement is about what will be required for those travelling back to the UK from certain countries - it’s up to those countries whether or not (and under what circumstances) they will accept visitors from the UK. Hopefully Shapps will announce non-essential international travel will be 'decriminalised' from 17 May.

Whether other countries will let us in is entirely a matter for them. At least after today we should know what the requirements will be for returning to the UK once we do travel.

I'm in an exempt group for travel to the US. Not worried about getting into the USA but, I take your point that many aren't.

braiden9 May 7, 2021 9:18 am

I've got a few 72 hour price holds on BA that I placed Wednesday. Gives me until tomorrow to decide where to go based on the announcement at 5pm.

ratechaser May 7, 2021 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle (Post 33233398)
Third flight to FAO on May 30th added in last 24 hours. Priced at under £150 in Y this morning, now north of £400. Also looks like the late flight is now an A321 (not sure if this was always the case or not...)

Yep, the ones I booked in July are creeping up now, although there are still some return segments in Y around the £30 mark, which is pretty astonishing for the school hols.

Fully expect my flights to change, not least because my return supposedly gets into LHR after midnight (no chance). Will be interesting to see if they maintain the 6 flights per day in each direction, given the likely demand.

Even if they do, there will have to be some rejigging of the schedule - my outbound is one of two flights that both depart at exactly the same time (I.e. one was the ex-LGW flight). Possibly that is an option to consolidate to a wide body?

Between this, Dubai, and Greece (£100 returns to RHO :eek: ) I could have really got some bargains this year, but time will tell.

BOH May 7, 2021 9:53 am

So does anyone know if HMG are clearing any declaration of a country first with the country concerned? Not much point us declaring a country as Green or Amber etc if that country is still not letting UK peeps in or has restrictions to incomers that make it a waste of time being Green or Amber?

mikeyfly May 7, 2021 9:55 am

I don't think the announcement is going to be like the scoring at Eurovision, we could be watching for hours !

Pilot37 May 7, 2021 9:58 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 33233498)
So does anyone know if HMG are clearing any declaration of a country first with the country concerned? Not much point us declaring a country as Green or Amber etc if that country is still not letting UK peeps in or has restrictions to incomers that make it a waste of time being Green or Amber?

Nope - but that didn't stop them last year when Australia, New Zealand and Singapore were all green - despite nobody being able to get in / out!

Pilot37

mikeyfly May 7, 2021 10:00 am

Grant’s on!