Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Wow! This thread might get the prize for being the most useful BA Holiday thread so far this year! Some great contributions.
asar, Cathay1101 and esledo like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by asar
wdcosta117 I am based in Mexico City and yeah, there's no need to book your domestic flight until close to departure. Also, VivaAerobus (which is part-owned by Ryanair) offers you first-row seats with plenty of legroom for not a lot of money. Aeromexico flexibility is a joke - any change will end up costing you, they violate their own policies. Even the LCCs are better in this regard.

If you have time, you might want to explore the Yucatan peninsula. You can get a domestic flight to Merida, instead of Cancun, and explore a beautiful colonial city or perhaps a biosphere reserve full of flamingos (Celestún). Mérida has some great hotels, from very high end (Chablé Yucatán), good chain ones (Hyatt Regency, Intercontinental), to my favorite there (Hotel Wayam). Then, either drive 3 hours or take a very comfy ADO bus to Cancun or Tulum.
I’ve been looking at booking flights to Merida for a few days before Cancun. The Chable looks stunning.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I'm also based in México City. Book a few nights here as part of your trip. The BA243 arrives in evening and immigration can be slow. You'll have to collect bags and they are often slow too. I'd suggest a few nights in the Centro area as a good plan. Not too far from airport and plenty of tourist things reachable, eg Bellas Artes, Zócalo etc.

​​​​​I suggest not booking your flight for same day you arrive as if you arrive late you'll end up in a mess. Customer service comes last with Mexican airlines. Avoid interjet as it's weeks from going bust. Volaris and Viva ok. Aeroméxico great as long as you don't need flexibility. One advantage is they are flying 787-8 on the Cancun route currently so you can bag cheap lie flat for the 2 hour flight. Check the config when booking. As others have said, Aeroméxico have an egregious flexibility policy. I paid extra for flexible tickets and they wanted a fortune to move them. Criminals.

As for Cancun. Try to organize a pickup. While it costs more, saves messing around with the ADO busses. You'll end up lugging around cases in humid weather when you get to the bus station. If you need tips please feel free to reach out via DM.

Fyi, Uber exists in Cancun, but local taxi ranks have been known to attack drivers. We took one at 6 in the morning and a local taxi driver pulled up behind and started abusing the uber driver as a traitor. So best to use locally reputable services.

As for the possible red list, of course is speculation. But worth considering we're up close to Brazil in case numbers so it's certainly a possibility. I've got a June flight that may be at the mercy of any changes.

Hope you can enjoy the trip.
LCY8737, asar, Boeing77W and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Definitely agree with the suggestion to spend some time in Mexico City or overnight at the airport before catching a flight the next morning if you don't do that. I think my BA flight has been delayed every time i've flown in. It also means that you're not paying for a night at an expensive resort hotel when you wouldn't be arriving until very late. There is a Hilton directly within Terminal 1 which is a good option and there's also a hotel within T2 if you are flying on from there (the two terminals are connected by a shuttle train, although it's quite a distance so allow plenty of time if transferring between the terminals - probably a good 15-20 minutes by the time you've made it up to the platform and waited for a train). You'll be up early the next morning due to the time difference so book an early flight and you'll be there by lunchtime.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by wdcosta117
Thank you again for all the advice - Managed to rebook, Outbound to Mexico City and Return from Cancun.
Did I understand you correctly - you were able to rebook a 50% Avios sale ticket from South Africa to Mexico? (without add. Avios or payment of extra taxes or charges) due to cancellation or schedule changes to your SA flights?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:52 am

Question on the MEX T1 airport hotels. I’m booked at the Camino Real after arrival on BA243 before flying out to MID the next day. I understand it’s connected by a bridge walkway from the Terminal. The price difference between that and the Hilton is quite significant and the Camino Real seems fairly decent.

Does anyone have any experience of staying there, or is it bad and I should just pay for the Hilton?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Gavin C
Question on the MEX T1 airport hotels. I’m booked at the Camino Real after arrival on BA243 before flying out to MID the next day. I understand it’s connected by a bridge walkway from the Terminal. The price difference between that and the Hilton is quite significant and the Camino Real seems fairly decent.

Does anyone have any experience of staying there, or is it bad and I should just pay for the Hilton?
Just get a hotel of your like in the city center. The airport is only a short and very cheap Uber drive from the city center; no reason to stay at /in the vicinity of the airport. As i recall it it was like 10-15 min max from Centro.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
We landed in mex 12 hours ago, very smooth and empty inmigration. As usual Mex airport not most efficient and the connecting luggage belt out of order. Off today back to Bogotá for work but I wish I could stay longer here in Polanco. Normality is the word I find here...
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
The Camino Real at T1 is an older hotel in need of a refurb. However, the Camino Real chain is well reputed in Mexico. In some places (eg Guatemala City) you can find a "Camino Real Westin", which is jointly run by both brands. They have particularly good food. If it's way cheaper than the Hilton I'd take it for sure.

It's a tiny bit less convenient than the Hilton. Camino Real is connected to the domestic side of T1, so you'll walk about 20 minutes (dragging your bags) to get to it. The whole walk is inside the terminal. Walk down to Puerta 6 or so and then take the escalator up to the second floor (where the banks are) to find the bridge. If you spend the night here, it will be way easier to fly domestic with Viva Aerobus or Volaris than with Aeromexico, as you avoid changing terminals. The nicest airport hotel is the Courtyard Marriott tho (better than the Hilton).

I agree that, given the airport is in the middle of the city, I'd only stay at the terminal if you plan to fly off immediately the next morning. If you can spend even a few hours in Mexico City, it might be best to stay downtown. Hotel Circulo Mexicano is brand new and part of Design Hotels, so accrues Bonvoy points. A half-day or full day in Mexico City's Centro is a great idea.

And yes nufnuf77 - gradually I've had more and more friends relocate to Mexico City because things here feel way more 'normal' than elsewhere!
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Just get a hotel of your like in the city center. The airport is only a short and very cheap Uber drive from the city center; no reason to stay at /in the vicinity of the airport. As i recall it it was like 10-15 min max from Centro.
You must have been very lucky with traffic, I seem to recall it being more like 20-30 mins, more if the traffic is bad or you're heading to the Polanco area. If you're flying straight out early the next morning, I would stay at the airport, if you will have some time to see the City then definitely head downtown.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:11 pm

If you are overnighting I would recommend the Marriott courtyard. Used it for the last few years and it’s a great hotel. Otherwise if you have a few days then also check out hotels in historic centro or coyoacan. We are coming back for a 4 th year in a row hopefully. This time heading up from Mexico City to querettaro, Guanajuato and then over to Merida and cancun before heading back to CDMX. Some great options with BA flights into Mexico City!
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
All good suggestions on the hotels for sure. Just a word of warning if you do head out to the city, still leave plenty of time to get back to airport. While one would think a pandemic would reduce traffic, early morning trips to airport could still be affected by an hour or so of traffic.

Hope you enjoy the food here. After 13 years I'm still discovering new things to eat
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
What great advice, so thank you everyone again. Were defiantly thinking of staying a couple of nights in Mexico City before flying out to Cancun (possibly Merida) – so will look into hotels closer to the time along with the internal fight as only flying one way. Will try to use local cabs as suggested over Uber and will arrange a pickup.

Think will choose AeroMexico over the others mainly due to the Dreamliner and upgrading to business.

Regarding the question from SK AAR and rebooking – was a little confused with everything though ill try to explain incase it helps for someone else.

Had return tickets to Johannesburg in May booked. First out Club back paid around £571pp in taxes (cant remember the Avios) however was booked during the 50% sale.

Called You First after a few days after it got cancelled, the lady on the phone could do everything and no need for the Avios Team (didn’t know this).

After checking the reward calendar on Ba’s site gave her my dates. Allot of back and forth if it would be allowed etc as apparently needs to be to the same destination. Anyhow had to pay 30,000 Avios more for the retun trip with an extra £101pp in taxes (First to Mexico City and Club from Cancun)

Seemed like a reasonable price so paid. Think if I travelled before the end of June I wouldn’t have had to pay the Avios (there was availability however we choose not to).

Hope that clears it up – to me im still confused but the main thing its booked for now.
TTmex likes this.

Last edited by wdcosta117; Apr 22, 2021 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:54 pm

I have done this twice in the last 6 months now. The issue is that BA's flight arrives into MEX at 18:45-19:00 ish. You could theoretically still make the lasat Aeromexico flight to Cancun the same day, but it will require collecting luggage and changing terminal (by bus or taxi) and then running through the Aeromexico terminal (also don't underestimate the check in queues there, even in business). What I did instead was book a hotel somewhere central, have a nice meal and then get a flight next day. DO look out for the Aeromexico's Dreamliner-operated flights - you could get a bargain for a flat bed in business that way. Enjoy!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:57 pm

Just a note on flying to Merida. We are going to do that as part of our trip later this year but are well aware it’s a 3-4 hour taxi or bus ride to the riviera maya. We have found a local company that will take us but you may struggle with some transfer companies based in RM. shame they don’t have a shuttle flight from Merida to cancun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.