Mexico City

Old Apr 20, 21, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Mexico City

Thinking of booking Mexico City on our 241 voucher as our South Africa trip in May has inevitably been cancelled. Booked this during the sale last year so hoping Iím able to rebook another destination with the 50 percent avios incentive.

ideally we want to Goto Cancun though as Mexico City has more availability for this year July (and first class) was thinking of flying there and then connecting to Cancun by either flight or driving. Anyone done this connection before? If so any advice would be most helpful.
Old Apr 20, 21, 3:25 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Just book a return ticket to MEX and then book Mexico to Cancun with one of the local airlines. I would not drive from Mexico to Cancun for sure. Risky and a bit too far.

Last edited by ermis177; Apr 20, 21 at 8:31 am
Old Apr 20, 21, 3:35 am
Suspended

Yes it's very easy to get a local flight from Mexico City to Cancun. Most of the airlines are basic Easyjet type flights but you can get Aeromexico business class for not much more at the moment. Driving would be fine but it would be a 2 day drive, the rental would be expensive and you would get stiffed for extra insurance.
Old Apr 20, 21, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
Just book a return ticket to MEX and then book Mexico to Cancun with one of the local airlines. I would not travel from Mexico to Cancun for sure. Risky and a bit too far.
Yes, I would certainly describe a thousand-mile drive (on Mexican roads, no less) as "a bit too far" 🙁

I love Mexico and have driven there with pleasure, but it's not for the faint-hearted and your route would cross states which the FO advice warns against visiting...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security

Safe travels!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 21, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - internal flights is definitely the easiest option though the other half is quite a nervous flyer so getting on a low cost airline that side of the world may set panic in. Aeromexico could work.
Driving wise I would break up the trip and do an overnight stay half way. However great shout with the insurance hike.

Iíll look into internal flights more.
Old Apr 20, 21, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Weíre currently booked to MEX at the end of this year and we will fly to CUN during the trip. A word of warning around Aeromexico and their approach to flexibility with COVID...

I gave them a call to query the booking conditions of business class tickets on domestic sectors as their website tells two different tales. When looking at the fare features it suggests all domestic business tickets are fully flexible and refundable; when you look at the fare conditions prior to purchase you find out this isnít the case. I gave them a call to clarify and the agent contradicted himself several times during the call, when I asked for a yes or no answer he just said yes to everything. I then used their Facebook chat service who werenít much more helpful and terminated the chat when I asked another question. The agent on Facebook chat said that Domestic flights arenít included in their COVID Flexibility Waiver, itís also in the T&Cs that if you manage to obtain a refund they donít have to process it for 12 months. There are some horror stories on Trustpilot.

Iím holding off booking the domestic sectors, until we have a better idea of whatís happening with COVID and potential travel restrictions. Fares on the LCCs such as Viva Aerobus and Volaris would appear to start at about £35 one way including luggage and seat selection.
Old Apr 20, 21, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon View Post
Guess that rules out driving. Thanks for the link.

Direct to Cancun or Mexico City then internal flight seems safest and easiest option.

Another reason not to fly to Cancun direct is plane related. Believe the 777s out of Gatwick have the very old interior with small flight entertainment screens.
Old Apr 20, 21, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks Boeing77

Good to note think will do the same and hold off booking the internal flights until closer the time.
Boeing77W likes this.
Old Apr 20, 21, 4:03 am
Suspended

The fares seem to stay cheap until the last minute too. For example you could get Aeromexico business class today for about 120 quid.

Originally Posted by wdcosta117 View Post
Another reason not to fly to Cancun direct is plane related. Believe the 777s out of Gatwick have the very old interior with small flight entertainment screens.
LGW-CUN is operated a by a three class 777-200. These have been refurbished and the IFE is the Panasonic ex3, so much better than the Thales system on the 787-9 that operates to MEX. However if youíre after F then your only option is the 787-9 to MEX.
wdcosta117 likes this.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Apr 20, 21 at 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
I saw some speculation about Mexico going onto the red list in a daily mail article (so yes, fully accept that the source may not be very reputable). Is this a genuine risk given developments in the region?
Old Apr 20, 21, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
I saw some speculation about Mexico going onto the red list in a daily mail article (so yes, fully accept that the source may not be very reputable). Is this a genuine risk given developments in the region?
Purely speculation but based on the figures available to the public (vaccinations, number of cases etc) and what Iíve observed in Mexico City on a number of visits over the last year; it wouldnít surprise me.
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you again for all the advice - Managed to rebook, Outbound to Mexico City and Return from Cancun. Will look into internal flights closer to the time as noted about their refund policies.

Fingers crossed nothing changes in regards to Travel bans.
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by wdcosta117 View Post
Thinking of booking Mexico City on our 241 voucher as our South Africa trip in May has inevitably been cancelled. Booked this during the sale last year so hoping Iím able to rebook another destination with the 50 percent avios incentive.

ideally we want to Goto Cancun though as Mexico City has more availability for this year July (and first class) was thinking of flying there and then connecting to Cancun by either flight or driving. Anyone done this connection before? If so any advice would be most helpful.
I've done that exact trip twice. First to MEX both times and then the short hop to Cancun on Aeromexico. Book the local flight direct though and not through a third party; I booked it once through Expedia (my one and only time with them) and lost a day of my holiday trying to sort it out via Expedia when the flight number/time was changed by the airline for the third time. Stayed a few nights in Mexico City too one time and can highly recommend it.
wdcosta117 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:37 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
wdcosta117 I am based in Mexico City and yeah, there's no need to book your domestic flight until close to departure. Also, VivaAerobus (which is part-owned by Ryanair) offers you first-row seats with plenty of legroom for not a lot of money. Aeromexico flexibility is a joke - any change will end up costing you, they violate their own policies. Even the LCCs are better in this regard.

If you have time, you might want to explore the Yucatan peninsula. You can get a domestic flight to Merida, instead of Cancun, and explore a beautiful colonial city or perhaps a biosphere reserve full of flamingos (Celestķn). Mťrida has some great hotels, from very high end (Chablť YucatŠn), good chain ones (Hyatt Regency, Intercontinental), to my favorite there (Hotel Wayam). Then, either drive 3 hours or take a very comfy ADO bus to Cancun or Tulum.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: