Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Akbar Al Baker: “Marks out of ten for British Airways? Two.”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Akbar Al Baker: “Marks out of ten for British Airways? Two.”

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:58 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Their model is exactly the same as BA - hub and spoke. For the majority of people who live outside London, it's a connecting flight (LHR or DOH).
Yes and no, a pretty sizeable percentage of BA's passengers are O&D - what percentage of QR's passengers are flying to DOH and not connecting? <5%? In any case, I made no comparison to BA.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ermis177
Firstly, QR J passengers do get lounge access depending on the fare they have booked. But I do agree it’s wrong to not include lounge access for J class passengers. BA even during ‘normal’ times will not pay for lounge access in different places around the world or kept closing down lounges with all sorts of excuses. A good example is Tegel airport. BA closed the lounge 6 months before they moved to the new airport while keep asking on average 80 euros for the J experience...! ( talking about online upgrade offer)
Yes, I'm aware that it's 'only' the cheaper QR Business Class fares that exclude lounge access, and that's exactly my point - BA don't limit lounge access based on fare paid.

The Berlin example is a dubious one - the lounge at TXL closed in March when all other BA lounges did as the world went into lockdown. Travel was only possible from the UK from June / July for most people, so there was a limited window of 3-4 months with no lounge access - and this was the case at most airports over the summer as passenger numbers remained low. In normal times, and by normal I mean pre-pandemic, very few BA destinations didn't offer a lounge. We will see third party and oneworld lounges come back as passenger numbers pick up.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Grace B
Michael O'Leary perhaps?
Is he dead? He seems to have been very quiet of late...more's the pity.

His ''Nobody wants to sit beside a really fat b****** on board. We have been frankly astonished at the number of customers who don’t only want to tax fat people but torture them.” was a cracker!!
Grace B likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by Genius1
Yes, I'm aware that it's 'only' the cheaper QR Business Class fares that exclude lounge access, and that's exactly my point - BA don't limit lounge access based on fare paid.

The Berlin example is a dubious one - the lounge at TXL closed in March when all other BA lounges did as the world went into lockdown. Travel was only possible from the UK from June / July for most people, so there was a limited window of 3-4 months with no lounge access - and this was the case at most airports over the summer as passenger numbers remained low. In normal times, and by normal I mean pre-pandemic, very few BA destinations didn't offer a lounge. We will see third party and oneworld lounges come back as passenger numbers pick up.
It's a shame my last flight home from TXL last Feb coincided with the lounge being closed - I think they were installing replacement seating/furniture so I guess someone expected them to reopen?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Deleted.

Last edited by ermis177; Apr 19, 2021 at 1:14 pm
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Is he dead? He seems to have been very quiet of late...more's the pity.

His ''Nobody wants to sit beside a really fat b****** on board. We have been frankly astonished at the number of customers who don’t only want to tax fat people but torture them.” was a cracker!!
He hasn’t got any (or few) customers to moan about at the moment.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by GBOAC
I really don't see why QR are so anti premium economy.
Al Baker was set on installing premium economy, but the plans got stalled/shelved. Instead he opted for the whacko idea of business-lite - unbundling business-class fares to offer cheaper versions sans lounge and seat reservations. They duly stripped out the frills but forgot to reduce the fares.

....in his interview he talks about his competitors ripping off passengers with premium economy
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:23 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
This guy is day dreaming in getting a penny from the four blockading countries
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:07 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
AAB's comments are always good for a laugh.

BA customer service is far from perfect but has dealt with all my Covid19 flight cancellation refunds and changes fairly & promptly.

QR Covid19 customer service by comparison have been the worst I've encountered. Only airline where (after numerous promises to action refunds followed by nothing over months) I have been forced to claim credit card charge backs with even the credit card company failing to get a response from QR.

QR customer service is 1 out of 10. Their business product used to be good but the removal of lounge access on restricted fares has made the product uncompetitive in many instances.
TPJ likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Originally Posted by cwl
AAB's comments are always good for a laugh.

BA customer service is far from perfect but has dealt with all my Covid19 flight cancellation refunds and changes fairly & promptly.

QR Covid19 customer service by comparison have been the worst I've encountered. Only airline where (after numerous promises to action refunds followed by nothing over months) I have been forced to claim credit card charge backs with even the credit card company failing to get a response from QR.

QR customer service is 1 out of 10. Their business product used to be good but the removal of lounge access on restricted fares has made the product uncompetitive in many instances.
My experience with both BA & QR in the early days was poor, BA did get their act together a bit quicker, but that might be because I was calling the Gold Line. In the last few months, when I've had to move flights, QR have done it for free, BA have charged if the fare is higher

If ABB's comments are are marker for Sean Doyle and the BA service is improved, we all benefit
Old Apr 24, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by 8mh
It's not just short haul IMO. Look at BA's most important market UK-US.

Club Suite is merely levelling the playing field hardware-wise. The US legacies have had a similar product for years. (Not in 100% of aircraft, sure. Nevertheless, BA is late to the party.) And if you look at other cabin classes, I'd say US legacies are clearly ahead of BA.

There are good reasons for this. US legacies make profits in the billions by partnering up with banks. That is simply not possible in Europe due to capped interchange fees on credit-card transactions. Furthermore, they have fewer domestic competitors and enjoy higher margins on long-haul corporate travel.

I'm not saying BA is the only euro carrier in a tough spot. For instance, I consider LH's current J product a joke. Be that as it may. There may be reasons why European airlines including BA are not the quality leaders. Whatever the reasons, though, they aren't the quality leaders. Al Baker is right insofar.
I'm not sure why you suggest there isn't lots of competition in Europe - whilst there are 30+ countries, any significant route tends to have a couple of carriers on it (one from each end) and then with EasyJet, Ryanair, Wizzair and others there is an additional layer of competition. As far as I can tell there are only 3 choices across the USA, with others (like Southwest and JetBlue) providing additional competition in certain areas. The issue with short haul European travel is that, although very densely populated, distances aren't huge so the product reflects that. Longer routes tend to be thinner, as most big cities are quite close to others in terms of typical travel patterns.

I (normally) fly both BA and QR regularly on long haul and QR is obviously a better experience - but from the UK QR is only an option if you're going east or south. IAG is (normally) one of the few consistently profitable airline groups in the world and has (Covid excepted) maintained that without state subsidy for years - not like the US big 3 or the gulf carriers.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seat1C
I'm not sure why you suggest there isn't lots of competition in Europe - whilst there are 30+ countries, any significant route tends to have a couple of carriers on it (one from each end) and then with EasyJet, Ryanair, Wizzair and others there is an additional layer of competition. As far as I can tell there are only 3 choices across the USA, with others (like Southwest and JetBlue) providing additional competition in certain areas.
It's my fault the wording was unclear. I meant to suggest the US carriers face less competition.

Last edited by FlyerTalker324193; Apr 25, 2021 at 5:17 am
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Ah, makes sense!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.