Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Akbar Al Baker: “Marks out of ten for British Airways? Two.”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

There was an article in The Times this evening of an interview with QR’s CEO, Akbar Al Baker. He accuses BA of losing focus, but praised Sean Doyle as a good replacement CEO.

Unfortunately it is behind a paywall, but I’m sure some users here can pick out the key points. Here’s the interview summary below:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...ocus-2b7xhc2vq

In the course of just 45 minutes from his boardroom in Doha, he dismisses British Airways as a “two out of ten” carrier; accuses Dubai of becoming a Covid-19 superspreader and lambasts arch-rival Emirates as a gas-guzzling dinosaur; says any airline that offers premium economy is ripping off its customers; and demands $5 billion (Ł3.6 billion) in compensation from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt for their “illegal” economic blockade of his country, which ended in January.
SFO777 and haroon145 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
He's known for his controversial comments, but he gets his job done.

However, it's interesting as Qatar Airways is a minority stakeholder (25.1%) of IAG.
justin_krusty, SFO777 and SKRan like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
He's right, not great airline. But very profitable, hence him owning 25%
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

He's had it too easy if you ask me.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Totally a right assumption if we compare QR with BA.
If QR is 10/10, the maximum that BA could get would be 5/10 in terms of onboard experience.

However, it's still true that BA's non-airport related experience ( FFP, customer care, baggage delays, etc... ) are much better than QR.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Has BA gone back to serving hot meals in Business/First, or are they still using COVID as an excuse? If it's the latter than I don't blame him for his comments.
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Has BA gone back to serving hot meals in Business/First, or are they still using COVID as an excuse? If it's the latter than I don't blame him for his comments.
BA restored their pre-COVID service in mid-January.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Good to know!
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:05 pm

Frankly, considering his airline's financial "successes", the man's shocking attitude to safety and the bullying antics of one of his key underlings I'd say... who gives a toss.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
J service is slimmed down and thus the gap between BA and QR is even wider!
scoonee and SxMan like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
J service is slimmed down and thus the gap between BA and QR is even wider!
QR’s J service has also been slimmed down - and at least BA haven’t started charging for lounge access for J pax.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:52 am

Programs: Some
I have to say I find the fact Mr. Al Baker can’t do a single interview without trash-talking Emirates hilarious. The chip on his shoulder is bigger than he is these days.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I have to say I find the fact Mr. Al Baker can’t do a single interview without trash-talking Emirates hilarious. The chip on his shoulder is bigger than he is these days.
Freud would have a lot to say, starting perhaps that, unlike his airline, EK kind of makes money...

Al Baker is just a bully. And not a good CEO at that.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As I am not a subscriber to the Sunday Times, I didn't read the full article but did read snippets of it yesterday over on the Paddle Your Own Kanoo blog.

'he [AAB] hopes British Airways will now “get the glitter back” under new boss Sean Doyle. But he dismissed the suggestion that BA would ever regain the title of ‘world’s favourite airline’ because that accolade now belonged to Qatar Airways.'

'Al Baker is slightly more optimistic about BA’s future now that Doyle is in charge: “He’s a very good leader. He has my confidence … British Airways will come back to its old glory,” he said of Doyle.'

'"Al Baker called out BA’s former CEO and his management team for removing free food and drink on short-haul flights. “We wanted an airline that doesn’t sell food but serves food,”'

'BA’s management team had “lost focus” according to Al Baker. The airline had been reduced “to a low-cost carrier — a level I never expected BA to be,” he continued.'

His comments about the loss of focus do resonate with me. IMHO, BA's short haul product had been stripped bare - with the introduction of transactional inflight service in Euro Traveller, and the mismatch of Pinnacle and Recaro SL3510 seats on board the Neos.

His comments about Premium Economy do seem a bit left field to me. I suspect this is mainly a defensive narrative aimed more at Emirates and the Dubai based carrier's recent announcement about its introduction of PE. World Traveller Plus is said to be a good performer for BA, which would explain BA's actions over the past three years where the cabin capacity has been increased, with the seat count more than doubled on 777 refits.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
2 out of 10 for BA still puts them ahead of QR customer services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.