Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Flying (April 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Domestic Flying (April 2021)

Hi all - after flying frequently around changing rules in 2020 its been a few months since I have been back at LHR - with the easing restrictions in Scotland coming sooner than England - assuming all goes to plan and travel between Scotland and other areas of UK is allowed from April 26th onwards what challenges (if any) would be likely flying LHR-EDI? Im assuming domestic flights (although quite limited) would run without the need for additional paperwork, health checks etc...?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Im flying MAN-LHR on 2nd April. I don't expect any barriers to travel.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Something I've been looking into too.

With a year reset on 8th April, therefore not being eligible for a second status extension (yet), I suspect a good number of tier points early in my year at least will rely on domestic flying.

Will the hotels in Scotland be open from this date too? Not really been keeping up to date with what's going on outside of England.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Something I've been looking into too.

With a year reset on 8th April, therefore not being eligible for a second status extension (yet), I suspect a good number of tier points early in my year at least will rely on domestic flying.

Will the hotels in Scotland be open from this date too? Not really been keeping up to date with what's going on outside of England.
not on 8 April, as noted this is likely to be relaxed from 26 April. you should expect the current rules for entering/leaving Scotland to be in place until that date too - i.e. those in Scotland cannot travel to other parts of the uk, and anyone in the rest of the uk cannot travel to Scotland, subject to the usual exceptions.

I would not advise planning any overnight trips to Scotland before 26 April.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Yes all of the hotels in Scotland are due to open April 26th with restrictions on travel around UK expected to be lifted on or around same date so a great opportunity for a weekend break before the rest of UK hotels open.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:37 am

Well. not to put a damper on those plans, I understand the intention in England between 12 April and 17 May is a requirement not to stay away from home overnight (we had this same restriction last year during June), it sounds like there will an exception for staying in self contained accommodation with members of your own household.

Whether that is the case and whether that would mean for those in England that an overnight trip in the UK was allowable during that period is still a question I don't think anyone can clearly answer at the moment.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
I've been travelling EDI-LHR-EDI on a regular basis throughout the whole pandemic; there are NO checks. You turn up at the F Wing, say you're Domestic and they just wave you through. There was ONE occasion at EDI that the check in staff asked why I was travelling but she didn't require any paperwork.

In the last few months there has been a big boost in the Police presence at EDI. A combination of uniformed and 'plain clothes' at check in, security and the gate for departures and then again at the gate, baggage reclaim and the terminal exit for arrivals. I also noticed an increased presence at Kings Cross and Euston train stations. Obviously they can stop you at any time and ask your reason for travel, but I've never seen this happen. I guess the Police presence will reduce when the travel restrictions are removed.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:23 am

"Yes all of the hotels in Scotland are due to open April 26th"
I think that is slightly overstating it. I know of one hotel operator that is still deciding when to open. They're currently of the view that (1) there is still too much uncertainty about government plans to open on exactly that date and (2) the restrictions on alcohol sales indoor (that continue for a while yet) would make a big dent on profits.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Im flying MAN-LHR on 2nd April. I don't expect any barriers to travel.
Yeah, this is what I'm looking to do.

I assumed that after 29th March you could do LHR-MAN/NCL all day, every day, as long as you get home in time for bed in your own home.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by edonthebeach
I assumed that after 29th March you could do LHR-MAN/NCL all day, every day, as long as you get home in time for bed in your own home.
That's my current understanding of what would be allowed from 29 March - so daytrips and movement around England are fine as long as you are back home for lights out
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:18 am

Yeah, this is what I'm looking to do.

What flight are you on?

Happy to guest you into the PP lounge if you don't have access.

I am staying down with family (they are in my bubble)
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
That's my current understanding of what would be allowed from 29 March - so daytrips and movement around England are fine as long as you are back home for lights out
Unfortunately not going to be much fun with NCL with only 1 flight per day!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
I think that flying anywhere would be fun at the moment

To be honest, if they were doing flights to nowhere, take off from LGW,
fly up over the orkneys or even Iceland,
do a low scenic pass, then return to LGW,
I would seriously consider it 😂

Think that once everything starts to open. It'll be a couple of weekend trips to Edinburgh and Inverness for me, before thinking of venturing out to Europe
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
What flight are you on?

Happy to guest you into the PP lounge if you don't have access.

I am staying down with family (they are in my bubble)
We're up on BA1386 (LHR-MAN) and back on BA1391 (MAN-LHR). Are these your sectors?

Thanks but there's four of us so too many to accept your kind offer!
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:23 pm

We're up on BA1386 (LHR-MAN) and back on BA1391 (MAN-LHR). Are these your sectors?

Thanks but there's four of us so too many to accept your kind offer!
MAN-LHR 2nd April 14:20 - BA1391
LHR-MAN 3rd April 15:30 - BA1404

Well if you need a break and change your mind, let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.