Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancel Chase Companion Reward - Refund or Voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold

I have a booking O/W from SFO to LHR for 2 in CW made using the Chase Travel Together voucher, 75K avios, and ~$1400 in taxes. I'm looking to cancel the booking, but online tried to force me down the voucher route, but it's not clear:

1. Will I receive voucher for the $1400 fees, along with companion voucher and 75K avios recredited to my EC account?
or
2. Will the 75K avios be converted to cash and added to the fees paid. Will I still get the companion voucher returned (and possibly extended given latest update)?

I know I can call to cancel and refund in full subject to the $55 per pax fee, but likely to rebook so hoping to avoid that loss if the voucher route is better.
Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
My understanding is that the voucher will contain the fees as cash, the Avios as Avios and your companion voucher. It will all be valid for the life of the FTV which may be longer than life of your original companion voucher. I'm not 100% sure about this though so will defer to others who will no doubt be along shortly...
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
My understanding is that the voucher will contain the fees as cash, the Avios as Avios and your companion voucher. It will all be valid for the life of the FTV which may be longer than life of your original companion voucher. I'm not 100% sure about this though so will defer to others who will no doubt be along shortly...
Thanks - but does that mean the travel together voucher, avios and cash fees are all tied directly to the voucher? What if I want to book a new Upgrade with avios ticket (i.e. revenue in PE + avios for CW) for just one person, what happens to the 'unused' travel together companion voucher in this scenario?

Last edited by SFGuy37; Mar 10, 2021 at 6:18 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by SFGuy37
Thanks - but does that mean the travel together voucher, avios and cash fees are all tied directly to the voucher? What if I want to book a new Upgrade with avios ticket (i.e. revenue in PE + avios for CW) for just one person, what happens to the 'unused' travel together companion voucher in this scenario?
I don't know the answer to that as I haven't done it. You may find some useful information in this thread which relates to the UK AMEX voucher with respect to FTVs.

Amex 2-4-1 voucher and FTV question

Alternatively, for complete flexibility you can cancel the booking pay the fee per person and start over again.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SFGuy37
One option would be to wait until within a week or so of departure time since if BA cancels the flight you have more options or lower costs. But if you go FTV you would need an Avios booking to use it, and UuA is actually a revenue ticket. This is assuming you did not UuA the original ticket. So the FTV couldn't be used on that. But you could use the FTV on another redemption booking, and as I understand it once you have done that the excess fees and Avios and companion voucher would then be released back to your accounts. So indirectly you could do what you are trying to do with the UuA, via another booking, but directly the FTV couldn't be used on the new booking.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 4:12 am

I did this last year. I called to cancel. Avios redeposited to my account. Taxes refunded minus the $55 pp fee. Only took about 10 days. Quite simple. However, the avios you received for the taxes will not be deducted from your account. They will offset any new avios for taxes in the future you might receive for future taxes. I paid $1500 in taxes originally and got 4500 in avios for the taxes. When I cancelled , they didn't deduct the 4500 avios from my account, but it like a running total. If you pay 1600 dollars for a future flight, you will only receive 300 avios on your taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.