Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios availability on BA Cityflyer ex LCY

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question Avios availability on BA Cityflyer ex LCY

Does BA Cityflyer only ever release 2 avios seats in Business?. Looking at LCY-EDI return in early October. . We have 2 seats but need 1 more. Also no I class released this far out?.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If you really want it with Avios use a Gold Priority Reward. If a seat becomes available the traditional way you can cancel the GPR.
Cathay1101 and noddie09 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes.

Was looking at AGP in Sept and plenty of flights have “unlimited” CE from LCY

Last edited by mikeyfly; Feb 1, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
If you really want it with Avios use a Gold Priority Reward. If a seat becomes available the traditional way you can cancel the GPR.
Unless this has changed recently, I don’t believe you can use a Gold Priority Reward on BA Cityflyer.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by col747uk
Does BA Cityflyer only ever release 2 avios seats in Business?. Looking at LCY-EDI return in early October. . We have 2 seats but need 1 more. Also no I class released this far out?.
For such a short flight, do you need business? IIRC - CF gives free bar service anyway?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by volar
Unless this has changed recently, I don’t believe you can use a Gold Priority Reward on BA Cityflyer.
Now you mention it, I think you are right.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
No lounge, no blocked middle seat..... I slum it in Y quite happily on this route...
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
But I have 2CD with lots of legroom. Avois seat is for a friend travelling with us who does not normally travel Club and they would pay with their Avios - they are Silver.. Would have thought they would have released I class if not Avios. Flight is at 11.25 on Friday morning if that makes any difference?.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
LCY-EDI is generally a good route for Avios and off peak I would think you would have a good chance, perhaps in mid September and then again a day or two from departure. I suspect the trigger point on Avios hasn't been reached yet. I guess this is Friday 1 October, where indeed the no Avios left in CE, but there is one in ET, so if you think that the £35 change fee is worth a gamble then you could book the ET seat now and change later if CE become available. That said, the Avios cost is £110, using the 1 penny basis, whereas the inflexible cash fare if £191 so while it's a reasonable use of Avios, it's not superlative. The cash fare could also reduce if bookings don't stoke up at some point. It's possible it was I fare until someone booked two redemptions!
Old Feb 2, 2021, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
LCY-EDI is generally a good route for Avios and off peak I would think you would have a good chance, perhaps in mid September and then again a day or two from departure. I suspect the trigger point on Avios hasn't been reached yet. I guess this is Friday 1 October, where indeed the no Avios left in CE, but there is one in ET, so if you think that the £35 change fee is worth a gamble then you could book the ET seat now and change later if CE become available. That said, the Avios cost is £110, using the 1 penny basis, whereas the inflexible cash fare if £191 so while it's a reasonable use of Avios, it's not superlative. The cash fare could also reduce if bookings don't stoke up at some point. It's possible it was I fare until someone booked two redemptions!
Thanks corporate-wage-slave.

Indeed Friday 1 October outbound. There was in fact even no I class availability when I booked the two redemptions.. I could have understood no I class on the 08.40 flight for business travellers up for the day but on an 11.25 flight when more likely to be weekenders .
Old Feb 2, 2021, 3:48 am

Im sorry, I don't get it.

Why does the 3rd person need to be in CE for a 45min flight?

Unless BA release Avios space, any alternative way to get into CE will be suboptimal. ie book Economy and then change later (£35 fee).

Seems illogical behaviour for very small gain.

Anyway, each to their own. Hope you have a good trip. Edinburgh is lovely, and they have a Hawksmoor now as well
Old Feb 2, 2021, 3:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
No lounge, no blocked middle seat..... I slum it in Y quite happily on this route...
some of us value the ambiance of the club cabin
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
some of us value the ambiance of the club cabin
True, but on Cityflyer, its not really different. No spare seat, and drinks services for economy already. No lounge at LC. I would understand if paid segment for TP.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
True, but on Cityflyer, its not really different. No spare seat, and drinks services for economy already. No lounge at LC. I would understand if paid segment for TP.
Ah, but what about the clientele?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Ah, but what about the clientele?
Exactly, the reason to stay in Economy :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.