FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Avios availability on BA Cityflyer ex LCY (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2033466-avios-availability-ba-cityflyer-ex-lcy.html)

col747uk Feb 1, 2021 11:35 am

Avios availability on BA Cityflyer ex LCY

Does BA Cityflyer only ever release 2 avios seats in Business?. Looking at LCY-EDI return in early October. . We have 2 seats but need 1 more. Also no I class released this far out?.

golfmad Feb 1, 2021 12:05 pm

If you really want it with Avios use a Gold Priority Reward. If a seat becomes available the traditional way you can cancel the GPR.

mikeyfly Feb 1, 2021 12:05 pm

Yes.

Was looking at AGP in Sept and plenty of flights have “unlimited” CE from LCY

volar Feb 1, 2021 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 33009385)
If you really want it with Avios use a Gold Priority Reward. If a seat becomes available the traditional way you can cancel the GPR.

Unless this has changed recently, I don’t believe you can use a Gold Priority Reward on BA Cityflyer.

PGberkshire Feb 1, 2021 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by col747uk (Post 33009304)
Does BA Cityflyer only ever release 2 avios seats in Business?. Looking at LCY-EDI return in early October. . We have 2 seats but need 1 more. Also no I class released this far out?.

For such a short flight, do you need business? IIRC - CF gives free bar service anyway?

golfmad Feb 1, 2021 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by volar (Post 33009505)
Unless this has changed recently, I don’t believe you can use a Gold Priority Reward on BA Cityflyer.

Now you mention it, I think you are right.

Skipcool3 Feb 1, 2021 2:20 pm

No lounge, no blocked middle seat..... I slum it in Y quite happily on this route...

col747uk Feb 1, 2021 4:37 pm

But I have 2CD with lots of legroom. Avois seat is for a friend travelling with us who does not normally travel Club and they would pay with their Avios - they are Silver.. Would have thought they would have released I class if not Avios. Flight is at 11.25 on Friday morning if that makes any difference?.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 1, 2021 4:53 pm

LCY-EDI is generally a good route for Avios and off peak I would think you would have a good chance, perhaps in mid September and then again a day or two from departure. I suspect the trigger point on Avios hasn't been reached yet. I guess this is Friday 1 October, where indeed the no Avios left in CE, but there is one in ET, so if you think that the £35 change fee is worth a gamble then you could book the ET seat now and change later if CE become available. That said, the Avios cost is £110, using the 1 penny basis, whereas the inflexible cash fare if £191 so while it's a reasonable use of Avios, it's not superlative. The cash fare could also reduce if bookings don't stoke up at some point. It's possible it was I fare until someone booked two redemptions!

col747uk Feb 2, 2021 3:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 33010019)
LCY-EDI is generally a good route for Avios and off peak I would think you would have a good chance, perhaps in mid September and then again a day or two from departure. I suspect the trigger point on Avios hasn't been reached yet. I guess this is Friday 1 October, where indeed the no Avios left in CE, but there is one in ET, so if you think that the £35 change fee is worth a gamble then you could book the ET seat now and change later if CE become available. That said, the Avios cost is £110, using the 1 penny basis, whereas the inflexible cash fare if £191 so while it's a reasonable use of Avios, it's not superlative. The cash fare could also reduce if bookings don't stoke up at some point. It's possible it was I fare until someone booked two redemptions!

Thanks corporate-wage-slave.

Indeed Friday 1 October outbound. There was in fact even no I class availability when I booked the two redemptions.. I could have understood no I class on the 08.40 flight for business travellers up for the day but on an 11.25 flight when more likely to be weekenders .

PGberkshire Feb 2, 2021 3:48 am

Im sorry, I don't get it.

Why does the 3rd person need to be in CE for a 45min flight?

Unless BA release Avios space, any alternative way to get into CE will be suboptimal. ie book Economy and then change later (£35 fee).

Seems illogical behaviour for very small gain.

Anyway, each to their own. Hope you have a good trip. Edinburgh is lovely, and they have a Hawksmoor now as well :)

KARFA Feb 2, 2021 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 33009717)
No lounge, no blocked middle seat..... I slum it in Y quite happily on this route...

some of us value the ambiance of the club cabin ;)

PGberkshire Feb 2, 2021 4:25 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 33010884)
some of us value the ambiance of the club cabin ;)

True, but on Cityflyer, its not really different. No spare seat, and drinks services for economy already. No lounge at LC. I would understand if paid segment for TP.

KARFA Feb 2, 2021 4:28 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire (Post 33010915)
True, but on Cityflyer, its not really different. No spare seat, and drinks services for economy already. No lounge at LC. I would understand if paid segment for TP.

Ah, but what about the clientele? :)

PGberkshire Feb 2, 2021 4:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 33010921)
Ah, but what about the clientele? :)

Exactly, the reason to stay in Economy :-)