Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU or direct for July DXB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Swissroll
Temperatures easily hit the high 40s in July - last year 49c was recorded. The only way you can be outside in the day is submerged in a pool that has covers over the top for shade. I had to walk from taxi to an office - no more than 200 metres and it was seriously unpleasant.
Each to their own - we are doing this ourselves in July this year (hopefully), but we know the resort, we have frequently been there at the start of June where the temperatures got to mid 40s on occasion, and we will be in the waterpark and/or undercover pretty much all day. Apart from when we are at the bar, with lots of mister fans. Unlikely to be eating outdoors either - that's a serious appetite suppressant!

Never expected to be a fan of the heat, having previously suffered when in places like Singapore or Manila for work, but right now I'm desperately hoping the world is in a sufficiently better state for it to go ahead as planned. And for there to be alcohol in the T5 lounge again
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SuitedandBooted
We've done Dubai in Summer before (twice now) and not phased by the heat. This will largely be pool/foody type break so totally understand the heat thing. Infant will be mostly kept out of direct sun.

Thanks for all the messages guys, it seems the general consensus is an Ex-Eu is just too risky this year.
I think you should delay to Autumn - both for pleasure and for COVID. I guess Summer is cheaper however, if it goes ahead.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:52 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by SuitedandBooted
We've done Dubai in Summer before (twice now) and not phased by the heat. This will largely be pool/foody type break so totally understand the heat thing. Infant will be mostly kept out of direct sun.

Thanks for all the messages guys, it seems the general consensus is an Ex-Eu is just too risky this year.
seriously have been there end of June, you will not be able to relax by the pool ( unless the pool is airconditioned as is in some Middle East hotels) i personally do not like excess heat but there is a big difference between July in Greece and July in Dubai. The humidity is unbearable and if doing anything even slightly energetic could cause heat stroke . But to each their own
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is no chance I would book an exEU from the UK this summer. Actually I personally wouldn't be booking anything that isn't fully refundable at all (and certainly not to Dubai in the summer). The likelihood of travel being heavily suppressed for any number of reasons is just too high.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by fdem
seriously have been there end of June, you will not be able to relax by the pool
I relax *in* the pool... Most of the decent hotels have nice chilled pools. Get in there about 12ish with my Kindle, swim up to bar for lunch, leave the pool when it's time for cocktail hour.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I relax *in* the pool... Most of the decent hotels have nice chilled pools. Get in there about 12ish with my Kindle, swim up to bar for lunch, leave the pool when it's time for cocktail hour.
That's one of the few gripes I have about Atlantis, they could do with cooling the pools down a little (although Mrs RC would disagree, she likes a long hot bath...). If I want a more bracing dip, I have to go diving in the aquarium!
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I would probably give the ex-EU part of the trip a hard no and book direct from the UK. It's unnecessarily complicating things at a time when things are already super complex!

As for the Middle East in summer, it's definitely hot. Having worked in both the UAE and Saudi Arabia at least the latter has the benefit of it being a dry heat

Outdoor bars in Dubai would either close during the hottest times of the day or will have misters or hand out chilled towels to help keep the patrons cool. That was certainly the experience at 360 Degrees (after a nice brunch) and also at The Address.

Once international travel becomes feasible again I am definitely looking forward to a trip back to the Middle East. It's been a long time since I was last there, and I'd love to show the wife that part of the world. Now that Qatar is off the naughty step it should be a lot easier to visit Doha without having to fly via Muscat, although the latter is definitely somewhere I'd like to visit too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.