Ex-EU or direct for July DXB

Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Unhappy Ex-EU or direct for July DXB

Hi all,

Ok so planning to go to Dubai with the family in July. That is missus, her parent and two kids. We've all had COVID in mild form (tested positive all recovered fine luckily). Her parents are ona 2for1 from Uk with our baby

The choices for missus and me plus 10year old are do it EX-EU from milan or direct from london (difference is 1k more from London).

I'm worried about booking from milan and then getting a positioning flight (we wouldn't leave the airport), due to possible restrictions and problems with entering italy to even make our 1st sector.

So the question is given the state of play and what it might be like end of July, would i be safer paying the extra 1k for the 3 of us to fly from london or risk it with the Milan start to save cash.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:50 am

Given the current circumstances and the uncertainty thatll be around for a while yet, Id keep it as simple as possible.

Have you tried changing the departure to somewhere else in the CTA such as DUB, BHD, even INV?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Given the current circumstances and the uncertainty that’ll be around for a while yet, I’d keep it as simple as possible.

Have you tried changing the departure to somewhere else in the CTA such as DUB, BHD, even INV?
Yes, is even more. Cheapest option from London returns to Italy (potentially dropping last leg if necessary).
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I could tell you what I think now, but by July that will most certainly be very different.

You will only know shortly beforehand if the journey will work out and if any travel hacking can reduce the price. Planning for that now only introduces potential risks without any advantages as far as I can see.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This is not something I would consider at all right now. The complexities of exEU as well as July in Dubai ! I'd keep it as simple as possible. WTP prices usually excellent and hold out for Avios in J or cash upgrade fares ?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Book from London and keep your child on your own booking. Much easier that way. As a 241 you would still need 10 of the avios plus some taxes. Whereas in your booking the infant should be 10% of the adult fare.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:16 am

I'm not sure doing LHR-LIN-LHR-DXB with an inlaw, wife, kid 1 and kid 2 is ever a good idea (even in normal times).

Personally, I would keep it simple and book the nonstop one class down, e.g. WT+ instead of CW. Unless you have an EU passport you risk being refused travel to Milan, and then there's the Covid testing situation.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
Book from London and keep your child on your own booking. Much easier that way. As a 241 you would still need 10 of the avios plus some taxes. Whereas in your booking the infant should be 10% of the adult fare.
Good shout but too late...inlaws already booked their 2for1 as seats were running out and they put the infant with them so it avoids little man having to do the Ex-Eu bit.

You see we booked the hotel already too. Trouble is we were meant to be getting married this year but have postponed for another year and a bit so we wanted to get something booked to all look forward to!

Beginning to think the extra 1k might be worth it (actually is more like 850 once you factor positioning!)
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would revisit this 30-45 days prior to your intended departure, e.g. sometime in May. Unless travel has fully opened up, I would not book anything other than nonstop and I would especially avoid separate tickets. Schedules will change regularly, there are fewer frequencies, testing and entry requirements change, and even the advisability of travel itself.

At best, you will spend countless hours moving things around and, at worst, you will have invested a lot of cash and will wind up with it as a credit when you might want to use a different carrier.

During pandemic times, there is little pricing advantage to booking so far out and, in fact, it appears that t here is better pricing in the closer in period.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuitedandBooted
Good shout but too late...inlaws already booked their 2for1 as seats were running out and they put the infant with them so it avoids little man having to do the Ex-Eu bit.

You see we booked the hotel already too. Trouble is we were meant to be getting married this year but have postponed for another year and a bit so we wanted to get something booked to all look forward to!

Beginning to think the extra 1k might be worth it (actually is more like 850 once you factor positioning!)

I think you're in for a world of disappointment !! Just book exUK - and pay the bare minimum, make a BA Holidays booking, a cheapo one night hotel which you don't intend to use. Your folks' only expose is 35 per person worse case as they can get a refund of everything else.

Pay a small holiday deposit and book a cancellable cottage in the UK as your back up
CoweyB, Freddorick and The_Editor like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:04 am

Hopefully you understand that it gets unbearably hot in Dubai in July - 40 degrees plus and not overly pleasant. Personally I'd rather be going somewhere in Europe then, but if you are keen to go, have you looked at indirect flights with Qatar or Swiss or Lufthansa, which will probably be a bit cheaper than the direct flight but will avoid the hassle of an ex-EU? I wouldn't risk an ex EU without adding in an overnight stop right now (or at any time really), although you may be willing to take more of a risk, and this would reduce your potential saving further.

You could also look at WTP on the outbound, and CW on the return, if it's an overnight.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Going to DXB in July with an infant? Hope your holiday is going to be indoors during the day!

DXB is lovely in the winter but absolutely minging in the summer. Theres day flights in both directions, so Id book WTP and try to upgrade if J is necessary.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I think you're in for a world of disappointment !! Just book exUK - and pay the bare minimum, make a BA Holidays booking, a cheapo one night hotel which you don't intend to use. Your folks' only expose is 35 per person worse case as they can get a refund of everything else.

Pay a small holiday deposit and book a cancellable cottage in the UK as your back up
Even better than a cheap hotel is usually a 1day rental car somewhere.

I would also go for the direct flights, anything else is nearly guaranteed to cause some trouble. As others suggested WTP+Avios upgrade seems like a reasonable option.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:11 am

Temperatures easily hit the high 40s in July - last year 49c was recorded. The only way you can be outside in the day is submerged in a pool that has covers over the top for shade. I had to walk from taxi to an office - no more than 200 metres and it was seriously unpleasant.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swissroll
Temperatures easily hit the high 40s in July - last year 49c was recorded. The only way you can be outside in the day is submerged in a pool that has covers over the top for shade. I had to walk from taxi to an office - no more than 200 metres and it was seriously unpleasant.
We've done Dubai in Summer before (twice now) and not phased by the heat. This will largely be pool/foody type break so totally understand the heat thing. Infant will be mostly kept out of direct sun.

Thanks for all the messages guys, it seems the general consensus is an Ex-Eu is just too risky this year.

Last edited by SuitedandBooted; Feb 1, 2021 at 10:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.