Wiki Posts
Search

BA to trial IATA Travel Pass

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
There is vaccine and there is vaccine.
There is increasing evidence that someone infected by the original strains can be reinfected by the SA variant. Current vaccines are less effective against the ZA variant (and probably future ones) and it is likely that we will see new versions of the current vaccines to deal with it. So we might have Pfizer ve2,...
In some countries the second shot is given with a long time lag, if ever. Some might get two vaccines or mixed shots, etc...

Some countries have been noted for generating fake PCR reports. Same could happen with Vaccine reports.
Will be a total mess and I don't see a common, secured, reliable platform before a very long time.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by radonc1
My inoculation card is now in my travel wallet. It is a piece of paper that was filled out at the time I got both shots.

However, I am also in the CDC study of side effects after inoculation (V-Safe) which to me would be a perfect way to monitor those who have gotten vaccines and provide evidence of vaccination.

The trouble is that V-Safe has to follow HIPAA rules, which completely takes it out of the running for a vaccine passport
HIPAA is waiveable. As the patient, you can authorize the publication of your most sensitive medical data on public websites if that is what you want to do.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:33 am

Right now the WHO hasn't authorised yet the use of its certificate (AKA the yellow booklet). If/when it does, I'm hopeful that the simplest solution (the yellow booklet) will be used. I know of people who have had theirs stamped.

I know, I know, it's easily falsifiable, it's not on an app, it's not based on blockchain, no techie wearing a hoodie in an open-space office with dogs and a Subbuteo table has coded it but... it worked for ages, it's accepted as proof that you've had vaccination against yellow feaver (mortality rate = 20-50% vs 3.5% of Covid), everyone from gate agents to customs officers in West Africa know it, you can fold baksheesh in it. All things you cannot do with an app.
IAN-UK, muscat and Calchas like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WHO sticks to its recommendation against immunity passport, although it supports the Estonia pilot project of digital certificate.
WHO is a slow and bureaucratic organization which lost a lot of credit recently.
I doubt that a paper yellow booklet for covid will ever see the light.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by brunos
WHO sticks to its recommendation against immunity passport, although it supports the Estonia pilot project of digital certificate.
WHO is a slow and bureaucratic organization which lost a lot of credit recently.
I doubt that a paper yellow booklet for covid will ever see the light.
the existing yellow fever booklet has space for more vaccinations and, in places where non-yellow fever vaccinations were suggested/recommended, that was used by authorities to check compliance (In my experience).
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 13901
the existing yellow fever booklet has space for more vaccinations and, in places where non-yellow fever vaccinations were suggested/recommended, that was used by authorities to check compliance (In my experience).
Indeed, you could use it. and fill it with any other information. The question is whether it will be accepted to let you in anywhere
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:45 am

Indeed, you could use it. and fill it with any other information. The question is whether it will be accepted to let you in anywhere
All I'm saying is that it's already there and it's already in use. Sure, it can be manipulated; but so can the .pdfs the we use right now to show a negative tests. And in a similar way apps and so on can be hacked... I feel we're overengineering this, like it's very easy to do when tech can be involved. A modern-day rendition of the sadly apocryphal story of the NASA pen vs the Cosmonaut's pencil.
IAN-UK and Calchas like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by 13901
It’s amazing that this handwritten document has been accepted in good faith by immigration authorities for at least 40 years, and now the talk is all about “how can I fake my covid passport”. Looks like there’s a lot more wrong with the world than just covid.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
I have 100% certainty that the current vaccine card being used in the US... and probably other countries... can be easily fabricated. You can find copies on-line. Depending on these cards even as proof of vaccination is suspect.
I live in Los Angeles and was given the card when I got my 1st dose of the vaccine. A couple of days later, I got a digital version that includes all of my information plus the vaccine lot number, date, location and the name of the person who administered it.
aj411 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Every state in the US is doing their own thing. In fact, some states, have each county functioning with their own policies. I live in a county where hospitals were giving vaccines via a website signup, then the county made them stop to have their own program, and now... the state says it will have a program. So... good luck with a seamless digital program.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
BA announced today that they will be trialling VeriFly from 4th February:-

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...yQ62r6ix9GP6M4
aj411 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighterside
BA announced today that they will be trialling VeriFly from 4th February:-

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...yQ62r6ix9GP6M4
It makes sense as AA had been using it for two months.
Not a great news for the IATA pass. Airlines are going in separate ways.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by manord
I wonder how this works for those who can't (currently) have the vaccine - e.g. I found out from relatives who have been vaccinated that the vaccines are not available for those with any history of allergic reactions or anaphylactic shocks - will these people be barred from travel?
I've got an OAP relative who is allergic to wasp stings and was invited for a Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine by their GP. On arrival they went through pre-screening and were rejected because of the anaphylactic shock. Undeterred they went home and did some serious research which showed they could have it. Presented that to the GP by email next day who then called and said they'd just had new guidance. It's only apparently if you're allergic to the ingredients in the vaccine that you're likely to be turned down. As always YMMV

She said it doesn't matter if she gets a second dose in three weeks or at the government timetable. "I can't go anywhere warm thanks to the lockdown."
Old Jan 30, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The problem is that competing health passports are being developed.
For example AA is using VeriFLY.
UA plan to use CommonPass (I think with LH, VS, CX and some others).
BA are also trialling VeriFLY with effect from 4 February as well.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
BA are also trialling VeriFLY with effect from 4 February as well.
Which is what led to the comment that you have replied to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.