Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
BA to trial IATA Travel Pass

As per ET's reporting, BA is going to trial the IATA Travel Pass:
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...id-travel-pass
Beergander and golfmad like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
This is good news. I hope governments around the world embrace it. For this, there has to be some security around preventing fake passes. The same people who come on here saying that they do not agree with imposed conditions may lie or cheat their way around having a pass before they are entitled to one. For this reason, I fear too many governments, particularly those who have had success in combating the outbreak, will simply stick to their own draconian systems far longer than is necessary.
djsflynn and LHR FLYER like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC
I can’t say I’m surprised by the link, isn’t Willie chief at IATA now?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The problem is that competing health passports are being developed.
For example AA is using VeriFLY.
UA plan to use CommonPass (I think with LH, VS, CX and some others).
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
I wonder how this works for those who can't (currently) have the vaccine - e.g. I found out from relatives who have been vaccinated that the vaccines are not available for those with any history of allergic reactions or anaphylactic shocks - will these people be barred from travel?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In order for this to work, it takes the collaboration of key affected governments. BA or any other carrier may choose to work with the IATA product, but it does no good if the work product does not meet the requirements of governments other than the UK. In particular, this may lead to establishing "air corridors" on key routes if there can be agreement. By way of example, LON-NYC is generally considered the most profitable route in the world. If the US & UK governments can agree to the specifics of what is a valid test, what form the report must take, and how it is presented, that would be a significant step and surely would lead to others joining in.

As noted above, the benefit would be that presuming adequate security measures coupled with sufficient penalties for criminals, the system could become effective fairly quickly.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I can’t say I’m surprised by the link, isn’t Willie chief at IATA now?
He takes up the post of Director General in April 2021 according to last November's IATA press announcement:

https://airlines.iata.org/news/willi...s-iata-dg-role
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:30 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Often1
In order for this to work, it takes the collaboration of key affected governments. BA or any other carrier may choose to work with the IATA product, but it does no good if the work product does not meet the requirements of governments other than the UK. In particular, this may lead to establishing "air corridors" on key routes if there can be agreement. By way of example, LON-NYC is generally considered the most profitable route in the world. If the US & UK governments can agree to the specifics of what is a valid test, what form the report must take, and how it is presented, that would be a significant step and surely would lead to others joining in.

As noted above, the benefit would be that presuming adequate security measures coupled with sufficient penalties for criminals, the system could become effective fairly quickly.
Yeh exactly - if governments are not onboard, this is useless. Does anyone think governments will jump onboard with this? It may really give the aviation industry something to cheer about.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HB7
Yeh exactly - if governments are not onboard, this is useless. Does anyone think governments will jump onboard with this? It may really give the aviation industry something to cheer about.
The devil is in the details. Everyone will say that this is all great. But, when it comes down to the font size of a test result, getting the UK & US governments to agree, let alone Canada and others, will hit a brick wall absent grownup oversight.
LCY8737 and HB7 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by manord
I wonder how this works for those who can't (currently) have the vaccine - e.g. I found out from relatives who have been vaccinated that the vaccines are not available for those with any history of allergic reactions or anaphylactic shocks - will these people be barred from travel?
It’s also not currently licensed for children.....
I have heard that those with previous bad reactions can have the AZ vaccine but not Pfizer; obviously be led by medical advice.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Given in US, people are receiving vaccine cards... completely non-automated... how will these cards ever make their way into an automated system. Same is true for the great number of COVID testing companies.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:37 pm
Suspended

They will make it into an automated system once it is established and made uniform. Right now, all that is possible is an app which holds scanned docs and has zero security.
cheltzel and DaveS like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Given in US, people are receiving vaccine cards... completely non-automated... how will these cards ever make their way into an automated system. Same is true for the great number of COVID testing companies.
My inoculation card is now in my travel wallet. It is a piece of paper that was filled out at the time I got both shots.

However, I am also in the CDC study of side effects after inoculation (V-Safe) which to me would be a perfect way to monitor those who have gotten vaccines and provide evidence of vaccination.

The trouble is that V-Safe has to follow HIPAA rules, which completely takes it out of the running for a vaccine passport
Old Jan 28, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Often1
They will make it into an automated system once it is established and made uniform. Right now, all that is possible is an app which holds scanned docs and has zero security.
Interesting. Surely the possible positive solution could be a ledger, so a type of crypto technology that can’t be tampered with and is verified.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I have 100% certainty that the current vaccine card being used in the US... and probably other countries... can be easily fabricated. You can find copies on-line. Depending on these cards even as proof of vaccination is suspect.
bakera, justin_krusty and Often1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.