Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a crystal ball? COVID and flying to the US...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone got a crystal ball? COVID and flying to the US...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Guess I am much more hopeful than most. Reducing rates and massive vaccine roll outs both sides of the Atlantic will make things look a lot more positive in 8 weeks time.
Eight weeks? Two-three weeks between jabs, plus another two-three weeks after the second one for immunity to ramp up, so you think a critical mass in the US and Europe will have their first one in the next two-four weeks?

Seems wildly optimistic.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I read the other day that the US travel ban is unlikely to be rescinded until....September!

We're unlikely to be fully out of a UK lockdown by April, never mind flights open to the US.
I really hope this is not the case on both fronts. I’m in the hopeful category.

Let’s get to March and see what happens. We must surely be turning a corner come mid-end Feb, albeit slowly.

I’m amazed we (U.K.) have 12% of the population vaccinated with the first dose. That is certainly commendable.

Biden is sorting out his side of the pond and I’m a lot more positive about the organisation and roll out over there.

If we simply cannot fly to the US as non-US by April or May then the gravity of this is a lot worse than I think any of us could have imagined. I say that as someone who is dearly missing his family and not someone who wants to leisure themselves in bars and beaches!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC
I've trips to the States booked for August and December. I'm betting 10% and 50% likelihood of them happening respectively.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
I am continually amazed by the leve of negativity both in the respectable UK press and on FT. If people really think there will be no international travel for another year, it indicates they expect the vaccine programme to be a complete failure.
At current rates, all at-risk groups in the UK/US will be vaccinated by the end of April - and this is before the J&J one-dose vaccine is (hopefully) approved next month - that could be a real game changer. I can then vaccine under supply turning into over-supply, and we will be in a much different place by early summer.
GrumpyYoungMan and LHR FLYER like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I am continually amazed by the leve of negativity both in the respectable UK press and on FT. If people really think there will be no international travel for another year, it indicates they expect the vaccine programme to be a complete failure.
At current rates, all at-risk groups in the UK/US will be vaccinated by the end of April - and this is before the J&J one-dose vaccine is (hopefully) approved next month - that could be a real game changer. I can then vaccine under supply turning into over-supply, and we will be in a much different place by early summer.
You are forgetting that (1) it is still unclear whether vaccinated people can still be hosts (in which case no one is vaccinated until everyone is vaccinated), and (2) that the variants might be (somewhat) resistant to the existing viruses.
T8191, :D!, testycal and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Blue, EasyJet+
I've got a trip to San Francisco booked for Mid-March/Early April and have all but written off going. Basically waiting for BA to either cancel the flights and refund us, or for the FCO to tell us we can't travel. Either way, looking for a cash refund rather than an FTV as I already have two and have almost no way of using them as the missus is completely against air travel just now until she has had her vaccine (first dose is done, just waiting on the second)
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Once you're all done with your crystal balls, can I have a go please?

Got a trip to Florida booked in September, re-booked from September last year. I reckon I'd rate it as about a 50/50 chance as the vaccine roll-out is going pretty well in both countries so far and that will ease the main pressures. Fingers crossed...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
For us, PHX in May = No way, José.

The fact that we are both getting our first vaccination on Saturday doesn’t really alter anything. The vaccine may protect us but it doesn’t necessarily prevent us being infectious. Opinion is still divided on that aspect.

As for “the vaccine roll-out is going pretty well in both countries so far”, we are clearly seeing different Media reports!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
The fact that we are both getting our first vaccination on Saturday doesn’t really alter anything. The vaccine may protect us but it doesn’t necessarily prevent us being infectious. Opinion is still divided on that aspect.
Advance congrats on the vacc., hopefully you can find somewhere to slip in a trip report.
Fritz, T8191, mikeyfly and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
As an aside, the Canadian and new US governments have pledged to work together and harmonize entry requirements into each others countries in regard to Covid, such as quarantine etc. The Canadian government is mulling enacting the Emergencies Act ( the successor to the old War Measures Act) to be able to restrict both international and domestic travel within Canada, potentially limiting travel to local post codes, and a complete ban on both inter-provincial and inter-city travel.

Somehow I doubt unrestricted travel to the UK would be allowed under that scenario.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
I don’t think you’ve factored in the second dose so you can add at least another 2-3 months to your timeline.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: Some
The irony of this being, of course, that said press negativity you are critical of has actually proved to be much more accurate so far than all the Pollyannas on FT sharing their opinion that for economic/moral/whatever other reason this won't last beyond summer. Or September. Maybe November. No, no, it will definitely be over by Christmas...

I'm also unclear how believing that having freedom to travel to the US by late April is unlikely equates to believing all international travel will be shut down for another year.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
My Crystal Ball says: Fall 2021 for international travel (plus proof of vaccination)
hotturnip likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
I’ve got SFO in June but think unlikely so going to push out to September.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Advance congrats on the vacc., hopefully you can find somewhere to slip in a trip report.
Sadly I suspect the only TR we can expect from @T8191 is the weekly shopping trip to Waitrose ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.