Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a crystal ball? COVID and flying to the US...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I had a 2-4-1 voucher expiring, so booked CW flights to LAX end-April/beginning of May almost out of the blue.

How do you think will the world look like by then?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:21 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
No chance
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't see that working out for you, sorry.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would be surprised if it could go ahead.
'We' can fly UK-US & vv and have flights in April and May, but very much doubt it will go to plan... .
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks, guys... thought as much. Now thinking what we should do. We haven’t flown anywhere (or crossed the Channel) since Feb 2020...

Originally Posted by CKBA
I would be surprised if it could go ahead.
'We' can fly UK-US & vv and have flights in April and May, but very much doubt it will go to plan... .
What do you think are you going to do with those flights?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I'm keeping an eye on things in hope of a late May trip but not holding my breath. Travel restrictions, insurance, quarantines and testing requirements are likely to stop it from happening. Luckily reward flights are still open for my dates, but upon the rather repetitive advice from a wise man in these parts, I'm steering clear of a maybe booking!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tinseltown
Now thinking what we should do. We haven’t flown anywhere (or crossed the Channel) since Feb 2020.
Plan to stay at home until the second half of 2022? And treat any improvement from that position as a lucky bonus, if it materialises?

BA to USA in October? has more advice.
bricksoft and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Guess I am much more hopeful than most. Reducing rates and massive vaccine roll outs both sides of the Atlantic will make things look a lot more positive in 8 weeks time. I have May and July trips to the US lined up and I am 70% and 90% positive of these happening.
There will be a LOT of pressure to get transatlantic travel up and running, and vaccination passports are likely to become a thing. Bring them on I say...
SF1K, oxfordjames, esledo and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
I've tentatively booked Vegas for September. I give it just about a 20% chance of happening but would have been 0% in August or sooner. I don't think any countries are going to encourage summer holiday travel at all and with vaccine progress likely to be pretty slow so that was the earliest I thought there was any chance.

Unfortunately, of course, we now have talk of quarantine hotels and border closures and new vaccine resistant variants and such... which is why I give myself just a 1/5 chance of smelling that sweet sweet hot Vegas air in autumn now. Kinda expecting to move/cancel those bookings.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Guess I am much more hopeful than most. Reducing rates and massive vaccine roll outs both sides of the Atlantic will make things look a lot more positive in 8 weeks time. I have May and July trips to the US lined up and I am 70% and 90% positive of these happening.
There will be a LOT of pressure to get transatlantic travel up and running, and vaccination passports are likely to become a thing. Bring them on I say...
I'm in your camp. A) as I'm optimistic by my nature, but most importantly and as you say. Apart from a couple of small countries the UK and the US are leading the world in terms of vaccinations and with the UK/US being the most lucrative air route on the planet, I think something positive here before other places is very possible. April though is likely too soon.

I'm in the process of rearranging a family Orlando trip from Easter to October and this was originally from Summer 20
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:49 am

Started polishing crystal ball in March 2020 and haven’t stopped since...trips rescheduled from March 2020 to Summer 2020....of course it will be all over by then. Then rescheduled to earlier this year, past the Christmas 2020 “deadline” when we were all told by Boris by then we would be in a “much better place”!! Finally trips rescheduled to later this year and early 2020. Will they go ahead? I think I have long stopped assuming things and measuring % chances. The answer, nobody knows and will not until it actually happens. More certain of predicting your chance of winning the lottery this Saturday!
esledo, nancypants and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:52 am

I had a 2-4-1 voucher expiring, so booked CW flights to LAX end-April/beginning of May almost out of the blue.

I read the other day that the US travel ban is unlikely to be rescinded until....September!

We're unlikely to be fully out of a UK lockdown by April, never mind flights open to the US.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat

Request an FTV, and the 2-4-1 voucher will retain the same validity as the FTV.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:11 am

I’ve written this year off. Can’t see overseas travel as realistic until Autumn once the UK in theory has offered everyone the vaccine and the country you are going to in a similar status so you don’t risk bringing anything back and the hotel quarantine can be avoided . Emirates will likely be the first to fully open to us Q4
Can I help you likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:12 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I am in the same boat, booked trips from 2020 for this year April, but I see it not happening...it's on AA stock. Will need to wait and see what i can do with it. Of course the best would be for a miracle to happen....
Really wish that such a crystal ball exists....as it is just bad news after another....due to all these variants popping up..

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.