Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2021, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by xenole
If you have the Nectar app, after a few shops, Sainsbury start getting a rough idea of what you buy and may offer bonus points, once a week (although occasionally over 2-3 days) on (generally) own brand products.

Assuming you get 5 offers with bonus points when you buy:

Jumbo sausage roll 100 points £1
Apples x 6 10 points £2
Milk 4 pints 50 points £1
Large Eggs x 6 60 points £1.60
Raspberries 150g 50 points £2

That's a total spend of £7.60 for 270 bonus points or 35.5 points / £

On top of that, there's the 1 point per £ spent, any credit card spends, bonuses (2x, 3x and so on) from banking products etc. that get added at the end of the month?
Maybe till spits that give bonus points or triple points on shopping / petrol.
Reduced items. Say the sausage roll having tomorrow's date on it, so they reduce it to 69p from £1.

The bonus offers may be 10-20 points so barely worth it, or they may be up to 200 points on things like lamb chops.
If you're just spending and not using the bonus offers, then £100 will be 100 points minimum.
I think I see the issue, I get low offers on own brand things such as veg and meats. I get virtually no good offers for stuff I actually buy regularly rather than one-offs (SO is very picky atm). This is an insane game where you do have to play the system in order to maximise the points offers and constantly shop there. For me, it just doesn't make sense. I don't get the offers (compared to Tesco), I don't think highly of Sainsbury's and it's out of my way (not really, just not as close). I spend £400, I earn 400 Nectar points, worth £2 or 250 Avios.

At Waitrose and M&S, I'm sent £5 off £40 spend, that's a 12.5% saving although in real terms, I spend £80 per week on average on fresh food for two, so it's a 6.25% discount. Can I use any of the vouchers or points with Avios? No, but I do get a greater value, and I can always earn on the BAPP.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, it seems like the game has lost its appeal and Nectar are the ones winning which is fair enough. I also think that Nectar are reducing offers in general since BAEC has become a partner as my SO would constantly rake in points last year and in the lead-up to Christmas, yet this year, it's all downhill (primarily on my account though).
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
As a regular Sainsburys shopper for a number of years, I’ve also noticed the bonus offers have dropped off in the last month or so - I’m still getting around 20 bonus offers a week via the app (plus some more in the ‘coupons’ section when I shop online) but the value has definitely dropped back from where it was with lots more pitched at 10/20 points than before. My theory is that Sainsburys have pulled things back as anyone who converted Nectar points to Avios in the initial offer period is earning double Nectar points on all base Sainsburys spend for a period of approx 2-3 months. The bonus points are being accrued but will only be credited at the end of the promotional period - on this basis, I suspect a) Sainsburys has been hammered by people taking out the initial launch offer and so is re-balancing its weekly bonus offers and b) it will feel less need to pay bonus points whilst people are already hooked into shopping at Sainsburys via the double Nectar points offer.

Anyway, just a theory but I suspect lots of people will have forgotten about the double points offer as it runs for a long period and clearly the points aren’t yet visible in Nectar accounts due to the way the promotion works.
James91 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
My offers weren't too bad today.

120 points 6 slices corned beef
90 points on 12 medium eggs
50 points on sliced mushrooms
60 points on avocados
90 points on 150g raspberries
60 points on 90% chocolate
100 points on any jam etc. (Had 10 points for a 28p jar of jam from last week. Combined them, so 110 points)

Also got a double points on petrol till spit that I used, and then got another one.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Got 3x 120 pts offers plus some 70s and 90s this morning, so dealt a better hand than in recent weeks.

I only went on Nectar strike for a week but still used my Amex which I use for all Sainsbury’s purchases. I’ve not collected many bonus points in the last couple of weeks because the offers have been so poor it’s not been worth buying some of the stuff. We had a free Hello Fresh offer so used that plus things in the freezer.

Received some good Esso offers in the last week or so. 500pts for a car wash, 500pts for >25l of Super Unleaded plus you can stack with the triple points offer for Supreme fuel. There’s also a double points offer for any fuel at Esso too so wondering if I’ll get 600pts for a 25l top up this weekend. There’s also 99pts available for watching a very short vid and answering the question too.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
My offers weren't too bad today.

120 points 6 slices corned beef
90 points on 12 medium eggs
50 points on sliced mushrooms
60 points on avocados
90 points on 150g raspberries
60 points on 90% chocolate
100 points on any jam etc. (Had 10 points for a 28p jar of jam from last week. Combined them, so 110 points)

Also got a double points on petrol till spit that I used, and then got another one.
Yes, after griping about all those 10 pointers, I now have 13 offers worth 50 points or more. Peaks and troughs I guess...
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I do wonder if Sainsbury's have a Nectar "budget" for these app offers. So low amounts at the start of the month and higher at the end depending on take up?

This would tie in with something I read (but now can't fined) which implied that the "Juicy points boost" in Feb was a bonus based on points not collected.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser
Yes, after griping about all those 10 pointers, I now have 13 offers worth 50 points or more. Peaks and troughs I guess...
I wish!

I took advantage of 12 offers today (while disregarding a couple of 10-pointers on products that I didn't need) for a grand total of 200 bonus points. That's an average of 16.6r per offer. Considering I'm not that impressed with Sainsburys and I (we) already have more Avios than we know what to do with, it might be time for a re-appraisal in a few weeks.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I have been a Sainsbury's s shopper for more than ten years and as any frequent flyer would, I've gamed Nectar just because it gave me money off future shops and that's mainly my reason for still doing it.

I have also seen a huge decrease in points offered in recent weeks so last week I gave them a miss completely.

This week I have 29 offers all on things I often buy all for at least 100 points and some for more than double that. Of course only time will tell if it's sustained but I thought it was interesting.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Just popped into sainsburys for a couple of things
My "offers" don't hit until wednesday
So thought I would hang fire on picking up any of the remaining few 10 point offers that I had left until I do a bigger shop on Wednesday

Therefore spent £31 so got 31 Nectar points, but no bonus offer products

Therefore I will have qualifyed for the App Bonus game

Drumroll....

A huge jaw dropping 10 points 🤣

Wow
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:24 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
So thought I would hang fire on picking up any of the remaining few 10 point offers that I had left until I do a bigger shop on Wednesday

Drumroll....

Wow
Pretty standard, usually between 5 - 20 points in my experience
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:30 am

Sainsbury will also be reacting to general supermarket market activity. Morrison's are dropping their points based loyalty system, so perhaps Sainsbury feel they don't need to be so generous
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Fatdickie

Drumroll....

Wow
Always between 0 and 15 points for that game.

Used some of my remaining offers today and got 207 points for a £17 spend (some extra items thrown in, so about £8 for the bonus point items). 5 points on top of that for adding a Daily Mail code

Went to Tesco and got (from the app / my Clubcard account):
Free 50p chocolate egg
25 points on any Easter Egg
25 points on some mixed nuts (3 bags for £1).
25 points on potatoes.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Always between 0 and 15 points for that game.

Used some of my remaining offers today and got 207 points for a £17 spend (some extra items thrown in, so about £8 for the bonus point items). 5 points on top of that for adding a Daily Mail code

Went to Tesco and got (from the app / my Clubcard account):
Free 50p chocolate egg
25 points on any Easter Egg
25 points on some mixed nuts (3 bags for £1).
25 points on potatoes.
I’ve had 40 on a bigger shop.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Well, I am totally underwhelmed by Nectar... I've not (yet!) deleted the app, but have chopped all the irritating comms, including email. If I shop at Sainsbury, I may collect a few points, but am out of the 'game' and won't be going out of my way to shop or fuel up.
RG1X likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
My 2000 Nectar points from Viking Direct came in. Except there are only 1000. Anyone get the correct reward?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.