Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Likely stranded in Antigua Jan 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for this thread - a heartening read for me. I was due to go tomorrow, and am really rather down in the dumps that I can't. Even though we went into Tier 4 some weeks ago, I only cancelled this morning as I'd hoped BA might get in there first!

I say heartening as I've had a few friends/family baffled as to why I wasn't going, which had left me feeling something of a chump for obeying the rules. But I'd rather that than a [insert expletive of choice] for not!
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I was booked to CPT but obviously that’s gone.
Why is CPT gone? BA cancelled flights for a bit but are due to restart on the 9th, no?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by 26left
Why is CPT gone? BA cancelled flights for a bit but are due to restart on the 9th, no?
They've gone and cancelled a bunch more now...
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As of now - Monday 4 January 17 hrs GMT - all LHR to SA flights are cancelled until and including 12 January, and therefore all SA to UK BA flights up to and including 13 January 2021.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:42 am

Thanks both. I have just caught up on the South Africa thread re direct flight bans.

From what I can tell as a British resident you can enter RSA with a negative PCR test if travel is essential, and on return to the UK you have to quarantine. So indirect flights are still viable eg via DOH.

I suspect BA will cancel more flights after Boris’ televised address at 8pm UK - seems we’re heading for nationwide lockdown.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by The_Editor
I say heartening as I've had a few friends/family baffled as to why I wasn't going, which had left me feeling something of a chump for obeying the rules. But I'd rather that than a [insert expletive of choice] for not!
I had much the same reaction from many colleagues and some friends when I explained I was having Christmas alone in T4 rather than travelling to see family as planned. I was encouraged to find loopholes, or just go anyway as enforcement is so lax, and told that ‘everyone else is doing it so why don’t you’. I took the view that there comes a time when one just has to do the right thing, follow the spirit as well as the letter of the rules, and not move or mix despite any clauses technically allowing two week beach trips with a half hour timeshare presentation. So I suffered, because it’s simply the right thing to do. And if more people did the same thing, we wouldn’t be in the chaos we are right now.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
...And if more people did the same thing, we wouldn’t be in the chaos we are right now....

Last edited by ayearinmx; Jan 4, 2021 at 3:23 pm
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Still hopeful for Thursday's ANU flight going ahead. If business travel is still permitted then of course. As another forum member said this flight is due to be carrying the vaccine, and also happens to have an unusually high number of passengers travelling for work purposes booked. Getting home mid January could be a little harder however. Expertflyer already showing much lighter loads on my scheduled return than last time I checked a day or so ago.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by ayearinmx
except that no-one actually knows that, people just believe it to make themselves feel better and use it as a moral stick to beat people who they disagree with....

here's quite a nice little sound-bite i read earlier this year and has now become relevant again tonight:
"if lockdowns didn't work before, why should they now? And if lockdowns DID work, why do we need another one then?

and just to bring this back to Antigua.... i was stranded an extra day in Antigua in December, but because i'm an awesome person, i didn't claim the extra £30 accomodation cost from BA
you are trolling and given everything going on this is very bad form.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:13 pm

here's quite a nice little sound-bite i read earlier this year and has now become relevant again tonight:
"if lockdowns didn't work before, why should they now? And if lockdowns DID work, why do we need another one then?
Totally fallacious logic. They did work (as measured by falling infections levels) and that’s why they are being done again, it’s just that for good or ill, in Europe we didn’t decide to pursue the approach to its conclusion as seen in NZ.

I presume you’d only boil a kettle once in your life? “If boiling the kettle DID work this morning, then why is the water cold this evening, if it didn’t work, then why do I need to boil it again to make a cup of tea”...
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Philb486
Totally fallacious logic. They did work (as measured by falling infections levels) and that’s why they are being done again, it’s just that for good or ill, in Europe we didn’t decide to pursue the approach to its conclusion as seen in NZ.

I presume you’d only boil a kettle once in your life? “If boiling the kettle DID work this morning, then why is the water cold this evening, if it didn’t work, then why do I need to boil it again to make a cup of tea”...
Captain Walker likes this.

Last edited by ayearinmx; Jan 4, 2021 at 3:22 pm
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:19 pm

the fact you even try to compare what NZ did, to what we are doing just shows how little of a clue you have...... New Zealand, actually locked down, we have never at any stage come close to doing what they did. And this latest effort is more of the same half-arsed approach. And that is my point.

If you want to use you amazing boiling water analogy..... we've just turned the kettle on without plugging it in

You can’t have it both ways. You seem to be arguing on the one hand that lockdowns don’t work, and on the other hand they do. And in any case, they should definitely mean you can do what you want.

We all await with bated breath your hugely insightful solution. I suspect it would involve selfish people doing what they want because they don’t personally know anyone who has or might suffer ill health, or worse due to Covid.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As both the topic and the tone of this thread has veered away from anything that resembles constructive dialogue regarding travel on BA, we’ll close it at this point.

the mod team
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.