Mood lighting

Old Dec 30, 20, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Mood lighting

Does BA use the mood lighting available on board the 787 and other similar aircraft?

The last two 787 flights I've done with BA, they had all the main cabin lights on for boarding, lights were dimmed (no mood!) for take off and then were just turned off during flight so people could sleep...no evidence at all of any 'mood' lighting!

Ben
Old Dec 31, 20, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm assuming its down to the crew.

I've flown on G-XWBD twice in the past week. The first flight was lights out for takeoff and they never came on again. The second, they did use the mood lighting.
Old Dec 31, 20, 6:39 am

The 350 lighting is very restrictive. I believe BA makes the presets that are available to crew. The 350 just has ‘relax’, ‘meal’, ‘sleep’ and something else as well as on/off.
The 787 has a few more settings but equally may not be as ‘exciting’ or ‘moody’ as other airlines
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
The use of the cabin lighting is written into the service standards with predetermined scenes for each stage of the flight and is dependent on time of day and cabin. The usual caveat that the crew have the option to change things about if needed still applies.

The 787 has a number of preset scenes that work roughly along the lines of: Day/Night Boarding - TTOL - Day/Night Main - Sleep - 2nd meal - 40min call (the use of this scene appears to have been removed from the standards). There are also the presets of White Bright and White Low. Between these scenes are timed transitions, for example I think it takes about 3 minutes for the lights to dim when 'Sleep' is selected and about 5 minutes to go from 'Sleep' to '2nd meal'.

There are various requirements for reasons of safety and security that dictate light settings prior to boarding, for example lights need to be as bright as possible for cabin security checks. In my experience as a passenger, I don't think crew make the best use of the lighting. I've often been sat there in White Bright for the majority of a day flight, or woken up after a night flight to the lights just coming on bright rather than use the scenes mentioned above. These scenes have been designed to allow for a gradual transition between stages of service. While the competitors do indeed make much more use of mood lighting, there's no reason why (under normal circumstances) a BA customer should be sat under lighting that resembles a doctors surgery at any stage of a 787 flight. It's a shame as it's such a simple thing and it does impact on the customer experience.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Dec 31, 20 at 8:01 am Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 31, 20, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Perhaps it's because there was an assumption that despite the best efforts of the lighting no one's mood was going to be lifted...
Old Dec 31, 20, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
I think I'm right in saying that the only BA mainline aircraft that don't have mood lighting are the ex-BD A319/A320/A321 aircraft, and unrefurbished G-YMM* 772 aircraft (except F, which does have mood lighting).
Old Dec 31, 20, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
I think I'm right in saying that the only BA mainline aircraft that don't have mood lighting are the ex-BD A319/A320/A321 aircraft, and unrefurbished G-YMM* 772 aircraft (except F, which does have mood lighting).
The Neo aircraft don’t have it either.
Old Dec 31, 20, 8:19 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I now miss the BA 747 mood lighting of On or Go to sleep and stop bothering us (also known as off)
Old Dec 31, 20, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boeing77W View Post
The Neo aircraft don’t have it either.
I have yet to fly on a neo, but that's disappointing to hear.

Originally Posted by chistery View Post
I now miss the BA 747 mood lighting of On or Go to sleep and stop bothering us (also known as off)
The 86J aircraft did have mood lighting!
rockflyertalk and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 8:46 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
I am sorry but cannot help but ask why? It is a pretty useless feature that adds no value?
nancypants and kanderson1965 like this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
I am sorry but cannot help but ask why? It is a pretty useless feature that adds no value?
Design aesthetics, and it's more relaxing at night.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
Design aesthetics, and it's more relaxing at night.
while there is no study on this, i'd imagine the mood lighting does contribute to overall sentiment amongst passengers. if its dark and/or soothing, things naturally are more quiet than the jarring full blast yellow light that doesnt even make the color yellow look attractive.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 12:51 pm

Remember the neos were introduced with the most cost efficient interiors and designed to be interchangeable between the other IAG airlines. Cost saving was name of the game and mood lighting would have been an option that IAG felt they could do without. Airbus also has an optional overhead locker system on the neos that would allow more roll aboard luggage to be stored wheels first without having to lie bags sideways - guess what, they didn't go for that option either.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 20, 1:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Regarding the neos, these are all fitted with LED lighting. The latest batch of A320 neos also have the jumbo size Airbus XL overhead lockers
Old Dec 31, 20, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Regarding the neos, these are all fitted with LED lighting. The latest batch of A320 neos also have the jumbo size Airbus XL overhead lockers
But the LED lighting isn’t the same as the old mood lighting on the 320s...right?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: