Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Historic BA routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe
BA52 HRE - LHR
In the 80's BA ended up being the only airline permitted to operate widebodies to HRE. Air Zimbabwe did not own any widebodies at the time, instead using 707-320C's (Ex Lufthansa) and it was deemed unfair if all the other airlines operated widebodies into HRE. BA were given special dispensation and I travelled on the 747-200 and well as the 747-400 models to LHR several times. I remember walking to the aircraft across the apron (no jet bridges) and being in wonder of the sheer size and beauty of the aircraft in front of me.
I remember doing my first around the world trip (I was lucky enough to do another one) starting with this flight in 1999. Sadly the country was already starting to be in a mess, with my first night hearing how a lady staying at the same hostel as me was saved from a robbery by the Greek Embassy coming out with AK47's to stop it. Welcome to Harare! Thankfully the trip after that was excellent.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Castle25
LGW - DFW was a DC10
Originally Posted by RB211
Flew that one several times!

rb211.
Now I come to think of it, one of those was my first ever long haul in Business class. A well timed op-up as we were waiting on the ground in the plane for several hours as a plane's undercarriage had collapsed on landing. I was well toasted before we finally rolled onto the runway for takeoff!

rb211.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA - GGL; AA - Lifetime Platinum
The most obscure BA route I have flown (in two stages) was JNB-SEZ-CMB-HKG, back around 1980.
jonapet89 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by paulieuk
For a brief period, BA (British Regional Airlines Ltd) flew turbo-props LCY-SZD, with drinks run and meal service provided. I used some of my original 'Air Miles' on the route a couple of times.
Sadly, the Sheffield City Airport no longer exists, it's longevity proved elusive.
BA also flew from there to Belfast City and Dublin, using crew driven up from EMA if I recall conversations had with them correctly. And my first flight from there was to AMS with KL (purely for the novelty, I'd moved away from my hometown many years before!)

Pocket-size timetable cards:

And now the Regions don’t exist to BA
RB211 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
And now the Regions don’t exist to BA
BA are the epitome of a hub and spoke operation, with the hub being London. I think one can count on the fingers of one hand flights that are bookable that don't have LON as either the departure or arrival point!

rb211.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
BA are the epitome of a hub and spoke operation, with the hub being London. I think one can count on the fingers of one hand flights that are bookable that don't have LON as either the departure or arrival point!

rb211.
The only way to compete with the LCC in Europe I would assume
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
YYZ-MAN back in the early 1970's on the beautiful Super VC10's.
Symmetre and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
The only way to compete with the LCC in Europe I would assume
Oh yes, It enables certain efficiencies that just aren't available otherwise.

rb211.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Flew that one several times!

rb211.
Yes! I flew this route in March 1997.
RB211 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Oh the DAR route has to be the most nostalgic for me flew it frequently 1997-2006 when i was at boarding school and then university in Cambridge and my parents were living in DAR. used to be operated by by a 747-400 from LGW with a stop in either EBB or NBO in 2001 it switched to LHR to be operated non stop by a 3 class (F/CW/WT) 767 with 8 first seats when we ised to fly as a family on rare occasions in First we took up most of the cabin 5/8 seats mostly though i was in the old club cradle seats. when the route was finally cancelled still a 3 class 767 but CW/WTP/WT
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:02 pm

GLA-JFK on a TriStar and GLA-JFK-BOS on a 757!
Who would have thought.
There were 747’s, Tristars, DC-10s everywhere and that was just at GLA !!
skipness1E and Clansman like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: Executive Club
LGW to HAV (Havana Cuba). I flew this route a couple of times during its brief existence. BA did fly to Havana in 2020 to repatriate customers stranded on the Braemar at the start of the pandemic.

https://simpleflying.com/british-air...escue-flights/
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
Oh, and one more...the old Tokyo-Anchorage-Heathrow hop. You would see lots of people at Narita milling about waiting for BA, AF, LH, AZ departures, then see the same faces (albeit somewhat dazed) wandering around Anchorage several hours later) before we hopped back on our 747s to continue to Europe. I also recall doing either Fukuoka or Nagoya to Anchorage and onwards to London c 1992 or so. It seemed to take forever.

TPE-HKG was another good hop. You could upgrade J—>F for all of £10 on the TPE-HKG sector if you were on a J2BA fare...worth it for the meal and wines at the time.
Twice a week the plane that did the NRT-ANC-LHR actually started in HKG. Even more interesting is the same aircraft had just operated JNB-MRU-HKG. The total aircraft routing was LHR-NBO-JNB then JNB-MRU-HKG followed by HKG-NRT-ANC-LHR and visa versa.

Before China opened up BA also did HKG-PEK as a tag on and F was £20 one way, though getting a visa to enter was somewhat difficult.

In the 1990s BA operated the following with a HKG stop:

LHR-HKG-TPE (3x week)
LHR-HKG-MNL (4x week: The maid's express)
LHR-DEL-HKG (3x week, which was a day flight return from HKG)
LHR-HKG (7x week)

Last edited by Nicc HK; Jan 2, 2021 at 7:15 pm
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
The winter flights to Fuerteventura were good too. It was nice to have another winter sun destination in Europe.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by gw76
GLA-JFK on a TriStar and GLA-JFK-BOS on a 757!
Who would have thought.
There were 747’s, Tristars, DC-10s everywhere and that was just at GLA !!
Also BHX-JFK-YYZ on a 757. I seem to remember that one operating out of the "Eurohub" in late 90's.
CW cradle seats in the front cabin and WT seats from doors 2 rearwards with drop down TV monitors from the aisle ceiling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.