Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will there be mass cancellations for Lockdown 3?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will there be mass cancellations for Lockdown 3?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by destone
They’re not allowed to ask any specific questions if you have a UK passport unless you happen to be on their watch list.
This never was true, and it's certainly not true now, the Border Force are asking questions of UK citizens, including PLFs, either on airbridges or at the UK Border. Not everyone will be queried, but the Service Level is a minimum of 30%.
Kgmm77, KARFA, nufnuf77 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:30 am

Does anyone think JFK or PHL flights will be cancelled? I think they kept going mostly during lockdown 1 and lockdown 2..
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TheMan123
Does anyone think JFK or PHL flights will be cancelled? I think they kept going mostly during lockdown 1 and lockdown 2..
JFK and LAX will continue as they are deemed as essential routes. PHL not so much, but you can always get a one-way car rental from JFK to PHL if required.
TheMan123 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
it would appear that some LGW Hotels are closing effective today my friend from DUB who i was due to travel with had their reservation at the hampton inn LGW cancelled on the 10th as the property closes effective today

Last edited by ClubflyerLondon; Jan 5, 2021 at 5:49 am
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Paul Charles on Twitter has just posted that the Govt is expected to announce all visitors will need to have a negative PCR test 72 hours before departing for the U.K. in order to be allowed travel, but the rule will not apply to U.K. residents and it will not allow visitors to skip quarantine.
I don't yet know all the details, but yes the Devolved Administrations have given their blessing to an announcement on this probably later today. The paperwork is being drafted this afternoon.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't yet know all the details, but yes the Devolved Administrations have given their blessing to an announcement on this probably later today. The paperwork is being drafted this afternoon.
Do you have any details on whether UK citizens/residents will be exempt?

I would imagine Irish citizens/residents would likely be exempt too under the CTA. Irish citizens/residents were exempt from the South Africa ban.

EDIT: Apologies I see you have said you do not have any details yet. I am intrigued that last night the media was reporting on it as a blanket policy, but today the tone has shifted to exempting UK citizens and residents. A more Sweden type approach rather than a Canada type approach.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by KULKyle
- In terms of hotels, I have stayed at hotels across the UK during both prior lockdowns and in tier 4 areas, nobody has asked me anything. Holiday Inn send me emails ahead of my stay to encourage me to check the rules and ensure my stay fits within the allowed categories. Nobody at check in challenges you and they certainly will not be cancelling your reservation.
By way of counter-example - I had a booking last week at an IHG hotel in a Tier 2 area, from my address in a Tier 3 area. I was called by the hotel and told that even though the (then) guidance was only advisory and not law, if I did not have a qualifying reason to be there, they would not be able to accept my booking and would have to cancel.

Another (non-IHG) hotel in the same area was fine to accept my booking.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
By way of counter-example - I had a booking last week at an IHG hotel in a Tier 2 area, from my address in a Tier 3 area. I was called by the hotel and told that even though the (then) guidance was only advisory and not law, if I did not have a qualifying reason to be there, they would not be able to accept my booking and would have to cancel.

Another (non-IHG) hotel in the same area was fine to accept my booking.
Had similar from a Hilton London based hotel in December when we went into Tier 4.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Does leaving the UK to spend 14 days in country A to be able to be allowed in country B where I need to return to for work constitutes as valid reason? (UK is banned for entry in country B).
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Does leaving the UK to spend 14 days in country A to be able to be allowed in country B where I need to return to for work constitutes as valid reason? (UK is banned for entry in country B).
Yes as you travelling for work. Sounds perfectly explicable in the highly unlikely event anyone asks.
AAtticus likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by KULKyle
Do you have any details on whether UK citizens/residents will be exempt?
That exemption would make the whole exercise pointless... Not that it would surprise me though...
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by LCY8737
That exemption would make the whole exercise pointless... Not that it would surprise me though...
It was reported this morning it would only be visitors (non-residents) who required it. The latest I am seeing is that the DFT are arguing with the Home Office on the exact rules as DFT want to keep it to visitors and Home Office want everybody to be included.
Sounds about right for this Govt.

Pilot37

Last edited by Pilot37; Jan 5, 2021 at 7:20 am
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pilot37
It was reported this morning it would only be visitors (non-residents) who required it. The latest I am seeing is that the DFT are arguing with the Home Office on the exact rules as DFT want to keep it to visitors and Home Office want everybody to be included.
Sound about right for this Govt.

Pilot37
That does indeed south right. I remember they had a similar argument years ago about whether Brazilians should start needing visitor visas to enter the UK, HO said yes, DFT/Treasury/DIT said no.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
While it might not possible to stop people entering the country in which they hold a citizenship, getting to the border to present oneself for entry might be more problematic as airlines will refuse travel. In truth how many people would be prepared to argue their way into an airport, through check-in/boarding and then present themselves at the UK border. The idea would be to dissuade travel in the first instance.

Equally there is nothing to stop the UK government requiring those not presenting with a valid test to isolate in a government provided hotel, preferably at the individuals cost for up to 2 weeks ± negative tests. I think it would be a real shame to allow vaccine-immune variants of COVID into the country at this stage, just as the vaccine is rolling out and would suggest that we have learned absolutely nothing from the last 12 months. These variants simply must be stopped from entering in the first place.
MiraculousM and DelTroon like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
While it might not possible to stop people entering the country in which they hold a citizenship, getting to the border to present oneself for entry might be more problematic as airlines will refuse travel. In truth how many people would be prepared to argue their way into an airport, through check-in/boarding and then present themselves at the UK border. The idea would be to dissuade travel in the first instance.

Equally there is nothing to stop the UK government requiring those not presenting with a valid test to isolate in a government provided hotel, preferably at the individuals cost for up to 2 weeks ± negative tests. I think it would be a real shame to allow vaccine-immune variants of COVID into the country at this stage, just as the vaccine is rolling out and would suggest that we have learned absolutely nothing from the last 12 months. These variants simply must be stopped from entering in the first place.
I think the issue with a lot of these measures is they are harsh on people who need to travel for work, health or personal/family reasons. Not everyone is on a jolly to some full moon party on a beach.

Perhaps HMG could offer free covid tests on arrival like what France/Germany have been doing? Or if quarantine in a government provided hotel, at least subsidize it like they did in China, how about £25 a night for a room and 3 meals a day? I think expensive PCR tests (and lets face it they are a rip off and quite hard to get in the UK compared to other countries) and expensive quarantine (I dread to think how much a last minute quarantine hotel at LHR would charge for 14 nights) are unreasonable for people in such situations.

It would hardly cost HMG much anyway, they are inventing money as we speak to fund furlough, business grants, track and trace etc. Why not use some of that to soften the blow for people who need to travel internationally.
James91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.