Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will there be mass cancellations for Lockdown 3?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Not looking to argue about whether people or should or should not be going on holiday but to factually discuss whether BA is likely to mass cancel holiday destination flights? Any intel?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Not looking to argue about whether people or should or should not be going on holiday but to factually discuss whether BA is likely to mass cancel holiday destination flights? Any intel?
I can’t see how there won’t be...particularly leisure heavy destinations.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom139
I can’t see how there won’t be...particularly leisure heavy destinations.
I’m thinking about Maldives in particular, as especially since they put twice daily services on schedule for a lot of January?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
I’m thinking about Maldives in particular, as especially since they put twice daily services on schedule for a lot of January?
I think in the other now-closed thread, there was intel that BA are stopping this route from 2nd Jan for at least a month.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I think in the other now-closed thread, there was intel that BA are stopping this route from 2nd Jan for at least a month.
I thought the conclusion of that discussion was that it was an error and there was no such intention?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
I trust that any route deemed “essential” will continue to operate (e.g. JFK, LAX, MEX). I wouldn’t consider the Maldives etc. an “essential” route.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
I thought the conclusion of that discussion was that it was an error and there was no such intention?
it was an error as there was then a reinstatement directive. I’m guessing someone typed Mahe when the Seychelles removed the UK from its list of safe countries and it autocorrected to Male.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Presumably routes where people will ignore the tier four rules and continue flying will continue to operate *cough* Dubai *cough*

Just checked tonight’s 105 seat map in expertflyer - four empty in J a dozen in W and a handful in Y
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Being able to get ANYWHERE we want to go would be great!

Slightly different rules for JE, of course, but transit through UK puts us in the Sin-Bin for so many places. And even my hoped-for vaccination in Jan isn’t going to fix that, and nor is FCO advice or destination Border restrictions. We will just sit at home and wither away.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Excecutive Club Bronze
I'm afraid to ask, but is this likely the death of my CUN trip? I'm due to pay the second part of my airbnb in a few days and I'm guessing BA cancellations will take longer than that? Will I even be able to transit in the UK and stay overnight at the hotel by LGW or does none of this work anymore? (I'm swedish and supposed to fly on the 15th)
Any educated guesses from you experts?
If it's up to me I'm not gonna cancel, I'm ready to go.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boxlion
I'm afraid to ask, but is this likely the death of my CUN trip? I'm due to pay the second part of my airbnb in a few days and I'm guessing BA cancellations will take longer than that? Will I even be able to transit in the UK and stay overnight at the hotel by LGW or does none of this work anymore? (I'm swedish and supposed to fly on the 15th)
Technically you’re not supposed to stay in a hotel in a tier 4 area; i.e. LGW, but if there are any open I’d doubt they’d enforce the rule or check eligibility
KARFA and boxlion like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You should be ok for that. Just fill in the passenger locator form, put down your hotel address, head directly there when you arrive. You will need to self isolate at the hotel overnight. Next day head directly to the airport for your flight.

Hotels are still generally open, especially around LHR/LGW, although due to the decrease in demand some have closed temporarily.

Technically you’re not supposed to stay in a hotel in a tier 4 area; i.e. LGW, but if there are any open I’d doubt they’d enforce the rule or check eligibility
well the restriction is on the hotel rather than the individual. the rules are the hotels are not supposed to take guests for holiday accommodation, but they are allowed to take guests for a number of other reasons such as work etc. i think generally overnight transit around airports has been fine.
boxlion and Pelu like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Excecutive Club Bronze
The hotel I booked is Premier inn, they seem to be open but list restrictions, but nowhere do they mention international travelers in transit.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

The hotel I booked is Premier inn, they seem to be open but list restrictions, but nowhere do they mention international travelers in transit.
that’s because international travellers in transit is NOT a permitted reason for overnight stay....however, as said before, unlikely they’d enforce or check eligibility
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
that’s because international travellers in transit is NOT a permitted reason for overnight stay....however, as said before, unlikely they’d enforce or check eligibility
Isn't this what boxlion will be doing?

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...74/schedule/3A

(2) A person referred to in sub-paragraph (1) may continue to carry on their business and keep any premises used in that business open—
(a) to provide accommodation for any person who—
(viii) is isolating themselves from others as required by law;
boxlion, Pelu and george77300 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.